Magpul 300 Blackout mags - anyone try them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've had zero malfunctions in my 300 blackouts... although I am curious I couldn't tell by the pics. Do they say 300 anywhere on the mag?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've had a couple ftf using Lancer 20 rnd. I wanted to keep the 5.56 in my Pmags. Maybe I'll try 300 in my Troy mags.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    From what I understand, most feeding issues come from 220grain projectiles. I have shot lots of stuff between 200 and 208 though with no problems. I have some loaded with an OAL that's very short and still don't have any issues even with full auto fire. If the price is the same as a 5.56 mag I'd buy it but otherwise it doesn't do anything for me.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    From what I understand, most feeding issues come from 220grain projectiles.

That's my understanding as well. And from what I understand it's more prevelant the higher number of rounds in a PMag. 220s seem to feed fine when 10-20 are loaded, but 20+, there's problems. Just my secondhand knowledge of the situation.

I would be interested to hear from someone who has experience with these as well. Magpul seems to get things right, I would be surprised if they didn't feed 220s reliably. And they probably feed 5.56 well.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had problems with regular P Mags. They were new mags loaded with 125-150grn loads. If I loaded the mag and shook it the rounds would start poping out on the ground. I pitched them and went back to GI mags and have had zero issues. I think the plastic flexes at the feed lips. Bet it would get worse if it was left loaded.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I've ran everything from 110-220 grain in pmags suppressed and haven't had a single malfunction in my Noveske with pmags.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    I'm not sure anybody has been able to pinpoint the exact issue with 5.56 PMAGs and 300BLK. It seems everybody has a slightly different experience. My brother won't run PMAGs in his 300, says they jam. I tried my PMAGs in his gun, not a single hiccup. :dunno:

Are the 300 BLK PMags available yet? I feel like they just announced them, but I haven't been looking either...

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I haven't used the new 300 Blackout Pmags, but I will say that I have had issues shooting 220 grain SMK bullets out of pmags. The mags would jam when I loaded too many and would not accept 30 rounds of 300 AAC. I think the magic number that I found to work well is 18. I look forward to trying to shoot something designed for 300 AAC.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Remembering back to that day at the range, yes I was shooting 220 grain subs from the Magpul mags but I was using 20 rounders. I'd get the jams at the top of the mags. Once I fired ~3-4 the rest ran OK. I recently went back and tried 120 gr and I didn't have any problems with PMags or Lancer.

I kind of remember a YouTube video mentioning problem this too. I think the guy in the video modified something down inside the PMag to get them to run 100%.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The big problem with PMAGs are all the generations, the slight variations made when new molds are made and the longer .300 blk rounds. That's why some people say "I run .300blk in my pmags and they are 100%" and others have all sorts of issues in theirs. It's unfortunate we can't get enough empirical data together to tell which lots and which molds are the problem. Of course sorting through all the pmags in a persons collection would take awhile.

This is yet another reason I've moved completely away from running pmags on a daily basis, if I want to run a rifle that takes a standard AR mag, I have to grab any of 4 different types of pmags now to make sure it'll run 100% in the rifle I'm using that day. That's insane. All I have to do now (unless I'm running a FS2000) is grab a Hexmag and I'm good to go with every rifle/pistol I have that takes AR mags, be it 5.56 or .300blk.

I still have a stack of PMAGs I'm not getting rid of, but until Magpul comes out with one single PMAG that is reliable, I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another PMAG ever again.

Top Bottom