SPR build, With a Larue Stealth Barrel....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Finally got out to do a little bit of load testing with the SPR upper on my SPR/SBR combo that I put together a little while back and all I have to say is WOW I'm a believer in these barrels now. Its a Larue Stealth 18" in 5.56 with a 1:8 twist, I loaded up some 68gr hornady match over some varying weights of 4320. The best group of the day was the 5 shot group in the first pic measuring at .428" shot at 110yrds. For basically a budget build on the upper with the exception of the barrel, to say that I'm impressed is an understatement!

SPR_Group.jpg

SPR_Upper.jpg

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    Great Group!

Have you found that your barrel is overgassed as all get out?

I was reading online that the gas port on the stealth barrels is .092", which is gigantic. I put a fixed stock under my 16" Larue stealth and it spits out IMI razor core (I know that this stuff tends to be pretty hot, too, so...) at 1:30 even with the heavy buffer and a tubb flat wire spring.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Holy smokes, that's a 110 yds? That's mad impressive. I'm assuming bench rest, but that still awesome. Nothing else done? No trigger work or anything?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Holy smokes, that's a 110 yds? That's mad impressive. I'm assuming bench rest, but that still awesome. Nothing else done? No trigger work or anything?

Thanks I appreciate it. Shooting of the bipod in the picture with a rear bag. Only other thing done is a Rise Armament drop in 3.5lb trigger.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Great Group!

I was reading online that the gas port on the stealth barrels is .092", which is gigantic. I put a fixed stock under my 16" Larue stealth and it spits out IMI razor core (I know that this stuff tends to be pretty hot, too, so...) at 1:30 even with the heavy buffer and a tubb flat wire spring.

No it doesn't seem to be that bad at all, even though while I was researching this barrel before I purchased it I read a lot of the same thing you were talking about.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Steve, I guess I need to put mine together. I bought the 16" Stealth at the same time Nyle bought one and it's still waiting to be put together. Heck, maybe I'll do that today!:)

I'm putting a red dot on it for run and gun/plinking/carbine courses.

I have my 18" WOA build for the precision stuff.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Steve, I guess I need to put mine together. I bought the 16" Stealth at the same time Nyle bought one and it's still waiting to be put together. Heck, maybe I'll do that today!:)

I'm putting a red dot on it for run and gun/plinking/carbine courses.

I have my 18" WOA build for the precision stuff.

Its always a good day to put one together ;)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Same here. Ended up putting on an adjustable gas block. SLR makes one with the right set screw spacing for Larue's barrels. Highly recommended to tune the gas back if you're having the typical over gassed issues with these Larue barrels.

Great Group!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Its always a good day to put one together ;)

Didn't get to it. Went to put the upper on the lower to test fit it and the front pivot pin wouldn't fit. So I want to pick one up to make sure it isn't the upper before I put it together. Oh well. Things happen.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I've been eye balling the idea of an 18 inch barrel lately, and am looking at the Larue as well. Obviously it shoots nice, does anyone know how it compares to BCM's 18 inch offerings? It looks to me that for the money Larue might have them beat. For the price of the BCM I can get the Larue barrel and their trigger...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yup, always seems to be that one thing...

Got it put together this past weekend. Added a red dot that I had. Thinking I might like a 1-4 better but I'm going to try the RD first. Rifle is heavier than I thought it would be, but nothing I can't manage.:)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've been eye balling the idea of an 18 inch barrel lately, and am looking at the Larue as well. Obviously it shoots nice, does anyone know how it compares to BCM's 18 inch offerings? It looks to me that for the money Larue might have them beat. For the price of the BCM I can get the Larue barrel and their trigger...

Ive only shot a 16" BCM and if memory serves it shot well, but I didn't use it in any type of precision shooting such as groups or anything. With that said for no more than these Larue barrels cost new I cant see myself even trying another brand..

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got it put together this past weekend. Added a red dot that I had. Thinking I might like a 1-4 better but I'm going to try the RD first. Rifle is heavier than I thought it would be, but nothing I can't manage.:)

Awesome! yea after getting use to shooting a 1-4 I switched over my primary carbine to a 1-4 optic. I just cant see myself going back to using a RDS as a primary sighting system. There is just to much usability you gain with a 1-4 for me personally.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Awesome! yea after getting use to shooting a 1-4 I switched over my primary carbine to a 1-4 optic. I just cant see myself going back to using a RDS as a primary sighting system. There is just to much usability you gain with a 1-4 for me personally.

Which 1-4 do you have?

Top Bottom