• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    hard decision for my next build. what i'm looking at palmetto chf, larue predator, white oak,proof research stainless, or another faxon.
    probably going 1:8

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Profile and length?

I recently got two Ballistic Advantage barrels, one 12.5" and a Hanson 16" (both 1:7) and have been quite pleased with both. I also previously had a 1:8 Black Hole Weaponry 18" HBAR and it was quite accurate.

Deals on BA barrels can be had at AimSurplus and TomsTactical.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Figure out what you want first. You're looking at a Larue Pretatar, which is a light profile barrel, and WOA barrels, which are typically heavier.

If Larue makes a configuration that works for you, go with that. Hands down the best bang for the buck if they're your price range. I don't know of anyone else going to the extent Larue does (for example, drilling the gas port between the lands) at that price point. Look up the MOA all day challenge. Larue barrels are extremely good. I don't think you'll get more out of a barrel until you jump up to full on customs from the well known manufacturers.

White Oak is excellent as well and you get a lot for the money with them. But they mainly focus on heavier profile barrels.

May as well dump the PSA off the list. It doesn't hold a candle to the others you have listed.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Use would be a big factor for providing a recommendation. If you are going straight bench rest accuracy, a heavier barrel may be ok. If you are looking for a rifle to use in a competition run and gun style environment, I'm sure people will suggest something else.

Faxon barrels shoot great and are affordable. If you are wanting absolute accuracy, larue has a great reputation. PSA barrels by FN are high quality, probably not the most accurate but definitely serviceable accuracy and rugged. Just make sure you get a FN made barrel.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    well i'm definitely going Faxon on my lightweight build but I currently have a faxon 18 inch government profile barrel and it hasn't been great from day one it does weird things as it heats up. they were supposed to send me rma to return at a year and a half ago and it never happened. it's one of their first 18 inch barrels. this is more of a bench gun. so maybe 18" larue stealth after thinking about it.

and by weird things it shoots in a clockwise circle until hot.

FamilyProtectR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2016
    Bloomington
    Strongly recommend giving the Ballistic Advantage barrels a try. Ordered 3 lately--16" govt profile, 20" marksmen, and 16" 300 BLK. Couldn't be happier with my choices.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    You might look at AR Performance as well. I have one of his 6.8mm barrels in my SPR build that I will hopefully be able to hunt with one day. I had it out today working up loads and had two 100 yard 3-shot groups that measured .375". Couldn't believe it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm very happy with my Faxon 18". 10 round groups, shot against the clock, using only a sling were sub MOA @ 400 yards. This with off the shelf 69 grain Australian Outback ammo. It also did a cold bore 8.5" x11" "headshot" @ 500 yards. Sad to hear you got a dud. Mine is new production.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    I'm very happy with my Faxon 18". 10 round groups, shot against the clock, using only a sling were sub MOA @ 400 yards. This with off the shelf 69 grain Australian Outback ammo. It also did a cold bore 8.5" x11" "headshot" @ 500 yards. Sad to hear you got a dud. Mine is new production.
    now cabellas doesn't even show the 69 in stock online

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Yep, like most of my favorite off the shelf loads, once I find something that flies great it goes out of stock. I bought several hundred rounds @ $11.77 / box. The only place that has any now is Cheaper than Dirt at well over $16 / box.

FaxonFirearms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Cincinnati
    well i'm definitely going Faxon on my lightweight build but I currently have a faxon 18 inch government profile barrel and it hasn't been great from day one it does weird things as it heats up. they were supposed to send me rma to return at a year and a half ago and it never happened. it's one of their first 18 inch barrels. this is more of a bench gun. so maybe 18" larue stealth after thinking about it.

and by weird things it shoots in a clockwise circle until hot.

Sent you a PM. We apologize for any oversight and will absolutely make it up to you.

UPDATE - As I was. Not enough posts! Send me an e-mail and will be happy to be of service.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Sent you a PM. We apologize for any oversight and will absolutely make it up to you.

UPDATE - As I was. Not enough posts! Send me an e-mail and will be happy to be of service.

Glad to see you back here on INGO. I was going to message you on m4c. I'm having a great time with the Faxon 18" midlength barrel but didn't see it listed on the webpage. It was tagged as an 18" mid gunner, no fluting. I am pretty sure it' 5150 qpq. Just curious if it was a special run.

FaxonFirearms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Glad to see you back here on INGO. I was going to message you on m4c. I'm having a great time with the Faxon 18" midlength barrel but didn't see it listed on the webpage. It was tagged as an 18" mid gunner, no fluting. I am pretty sure it' 5150 qpq. Just curious if it was a special run.

Always a pleasure. We pop in here from time to time, but since we are not advertisers, we also want to respect INGO. We will be soon enough, but have to grow a bit more and have more marketing budget.

I don't remember an 18" mid GUNNER, but we do have the 18" Mid Gov't/Socom. They would be 4150 QPQ. If you have a photo of the barrel, I can tell you its profile immediately.

Top Bottom