• ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    AR-15.

In the event that a fella pulled the trigger once and received a round downrange, then released the trigger and sent another round down range, what might be the cause? Before we condemn a trigger, consider this is a second trigger. The first we'll say was a Mil-Spec from a gun show. The new trigger might be a Geissele SSA. This exact symptom, in a hypothetical scenario, would have been the reason for the SSA replacement. Seems like it would be a lower receiver issue hands down as this symptom would be duplicated with a dedicated 22 upper as well as BCM upper. Just not sure where else to look after the firing control group replacement.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sure it doesnt have one of those new add-on triggers that fires a shot each direction of travel? (one bullet on the pull, one bullet when it is released and returned forward)

EDIT:An absolutely awful concept except for MAYBE a range toy IMHO. Even then I'm still not convinced its a good idea.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Sounds like a failure of the disconnect. If you've had this problem with more than one fcg, maybe the holes for the pins are out of spec.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had a hammer that fit on the pivot too loose and could rock side to side. That trigger would induce a double one and a while, like one in 100 rounds. Replacing the parts took care of it. Is the firing pin floating freely in the bolt? Even a perfectly clean, well adjusted AR will lightly dimple the primer when you let the bolt slam home. I always worried that a sticky firing pin could hit the primer hard enough to make it go off.

I have a coupe of Geisselle triggers and they are adjustable. You can get it far enough out of adjustment to be unreliable.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Lower out of spec? Too far between the hammer pin and trigger pin holes and the hammer might not catch on the sear when the disconnect releases it...

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I had this happen with my last build. It only happened a few time during the first two magazines fired through the rifle so I chalked it up to the springs wearing in.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was at a range in California and a gentleman removed a CMP M1 garand from its shipping box, then loaded and fired it. For some reason it double fired. The range shut down & called the pilice to arrest the man for an illegal full auto. You are lucky you were not in Kommiefornia, or you too could have been arrested!

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I was at a range in California and a gentleman removed a CMP M1 garand from its shipping box, then loaded and fired it. For some reason it double fired. The range shut down & called the pilice to arrest the man for an illegal full auto. You are lucky you were not in Kommiefornia, or you too could have been arrested!

If I see him at the range again, I'll let him know to be careful.

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    hog, did this issue get figured out? I have seen where a trigger spring installed backwards has caused this symptom.
    NVG

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    it did not resolve. I'll look into the spring. Thank you for the idea. I was just debating on a new lower our just swapping around known good parts on known good lowers.

Last edited:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    it did not resolve. I'll look into the spring. Thank you for the idea. I was just debating on a new lower our just daylong around known good parts on known good lowers. I'll do an inspection of the fire control group to ensure I didn't jack it up

Hmm, a double whammy on posts, also

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    1488556935082-1488473502.jpg

I've got one stock AR. I'm using it to make comparisons and can see no spring differentiation. What I have identified is a bit of difference in outside diameter of the trigger pin and the lower receiver. You can see a bit of variance in the hammer pin, too. Like the video, I've shot thousands of rounds thru this gun. I cannot seem to duplicate the malfunction on the bench,either.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Hammer, trigger, dis-connector springs worn or installed incorrectly. Hammer and dis-connector catch points worn and no longer catching. Worn hammer and trigger holes or pins can also allow hammer and dis-connector to miss each other. Try new lower build kit and see if that corrects it.

Top Bottom