AR Barrel Types: What are the pros/cons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'm trying to get my budget ready for the AR I've been building. I want to settle on a barrel, but there are many types. So, there are heavy barrels, pencil barrels, contoured barrels, fluted (straight and spiral). What are the differences that make one better over another for one purpose or other? I assume that a heavy barrel, while weighing more, would be better for long range or bench rest shooting whereas a pencil barrel is lighter but probably adds to felt recoil. Please, correct me if I'm wrong about those, but what are the (dis)advantages of the others? Are there other types that I didn't mention? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You've got it right so far... There are lots of articles on the subject out there. If it would be better suited for you to watch a video, James Yeager, and Mrgunsngear both have some pretty good videos on the subject. It goes into things such as twist rate, finishes, and even the materials and methods used to create it. There is so much information out there. Right out of the gate (because it's my favorite) I'd recommend you a lightweight barrel with a mid length gas system, but that is without knowing anything at all about what you want to do with the rifle.

What is your intended purpose for the rifle? Then maybe we can better help you out. However, I'd still go look into it for yourself, just because.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I'll have to search YouTube. Didn't really occur to me to do so at first. INGO is my go to at this point. Not sure if that says more about INGO or me, though??

The rifle will mostly be used at the range. I won't be doing any long range shooting. None of the ranges near me go beyond 150 yds anyway. Not really looking for home defense either as my house really isn't conducive to using any sort of long gun, rifle or shotgun. If I ever decide to try my hand at any kind of 2/3-gun shooting sports, this rifle would also be my entry into that type of shooting as well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Most 2/3 gun shooting people run a 18" barrel. This allows you to get a rifle length gas system which equates to smoother and softer shooting. I think going with a medium to light weight contour to save on weight is also a good way to go, but that's on you. An 18" barrel may be good for you and what you are looking for, and in all honesty the extra 2" over a 16, isn't what some make it out to be. There are some good 18" barrels out there some of which are in 223 wylde even (you may research that) and some that have a 1:8 twist so it'll perform well with both lighter and heavier projectiles. However just a plain old 223 in a 1:7 would serve you plenty fine, sorry to over complicate.

I'm sure some other people will chime in with a different opinion, but I think going with a good 18" with a longer gas system would suit you well, with what you've said. Besides, once you build your first one, you will build another (it's almost fact) so you can always do a 16" or something then if you so choose.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To me, carbines mean utility and utility means lightweight.

I want the gun light overall. I don't want a laser, a phaser, an exploder or a coffee maker hanging on it.

I want a pencil barrel.

However, I think you are applying the correct test. As a hand tool or a golf club, the threshold test is "what will this be used for?"

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I just put an FN barrel on my latest ar. It says FN right on the top so I expect I'll get mad props at the conservation club.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I think if I were to build another AR15 I would do another 14.5", free floated this time with a pinned and welded Faxon SLIM making it 16.1" long. I'd then send off said Faxon to Warmachine and have a taper pinned gas block installed ( Warblock ).

Taper pinned gas blocks are super reliable, super sturdy and a low profile SLIM muzzle device allows you to have the shorter 14.5" barrel yet be able to swap on & off the handguard of your choice.

https://www.warmachinellc.com/

?Faxon Firearms Announces SLIM Brakes, Flash Hiders, & SLIM 16? Legal Welded Brake/Barrel Combo?s - Faxon Firearms

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I spent 26 years, Serving Uncle Sam, so what I have fits me to a "T" ....

I have a Colt Match, 20" bbl, Single stage Match trigger, and I have added weight to the buttstock .....

HEAVY, yes ..... Accurate, YES, more than I will ever be .....

Is it a "carry" rifle, no .....

But if I want to do something, it will do it .....

I think you are on the right track .....

Shoot as many as you can, and find out whats right for you

if you want to shoot mine, let me know, and we can get together .....

Top Bottom