• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is a tactical/Defense double barrel shotgun marketable?

• Total voters

Sasquatchhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have been doing a lot of thinking about a tactical double barrel 12 gauge on a coach gun platform. 18 or 20" parkerized barrels, a synthetic stock, auto injection of the shells when the barrels are broke.Would this be marketable? I would love feedback, opinions, etc. PMs are very welcomed. Thanks folks.:ar15:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    It's been done.

tbl1.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Heck, in Vincennes, I just kept a double 20 gauge loaded with #4 buck and on safe.

I didn't feel unarmed in the least.

Josh <><

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I agree, yeah you may have less shots with a double barrel. But they are dang intimidating. Most criminals know the sound of closing a double barrel just as well as they know the sound of pump shotty. Plus looking at the wrong end of two 12ga tubes wouldn't be any fun either.

I've really been wanting to get one for quite some time, just been putting it off. I may just do it this year and do something similar to the picture above.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You know, I wish H&R / NEF would start making doubles. Seems to me they'd be relatively inexpensive, but good quality and Made in the USA...

Josh <><

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    You know, I wish H&R / NEF would start making doubles. Seems to me they'd be relatively inexpensive, but good quality and Made in the USA...

Josh <><

I agree with you there. I saw a NEF 410 single at dunhams with an M4 style stock, heat shield with peep sights, and an AR style forearm for around $120 and may just have to go back and buy one. I'd def do it if they made one like that in 12g :rockwoot:

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    havent you all been reading the board? you gotta have an HD gun that will hold atleast 30rnds and a tac vest that will hold your extra mags,flash lights,flash bangs and cattle prods and all the other urban comando thingies that everyone needs:rolleyes::popcorn:
    I have a coach gun but it is not my HD gun,my HD gun is a pump,no real reason behind it. if someone was kicking in my door and all I had within reach was the double Id feel more than confident that I could take down a threat if need be. you only need one shot and if he has a buddy you got an extra shot for him..if there is three of em you might as well shoot the first one through the door with both barrels and run....unless your john wayne or clint eastwood your not gonna take down 3 targets fast enough to not catch a bullet.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    In one of my gun magazines, it talked about turning a regular 12ga such as a double barrel side by side into a home defense gun. They even had a picture of a flashlight taped on the side. It was crude, but I'm sure it would be effective for it's intended purpose.

As far as putting a Mini red dot on it, and a rails for a tactical light, I don't know how serious people would take such a firearm. A nice red dot could easily cost as much as a Stoeger 12ga. That being said, I'm all for it if thats the way you wanna go, might be a fun gun to shoot.

Sasquatchhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem

Josh <><

Man you and me both. I love those coach doubles. There's that "cool" factor, plus they're not lacking in the intimidation department... I always think of Dennis Quaid as Doc Holiday with that coach gun..

Sasquatchhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Haha!!! They are both excellent films! Cant go wrong with the Doc.." I am dying of tuberculosis and I sleep with the biggest whore in Kansas!" love it...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As far as putting a Mini red dot on it, and a rails for a tactical light, I don't know how serious people would take such a firearm.

I doubt the BG will be laughing at your LaRue RDS on your cheapie coach gun when its pointed at him! :D

If the RDS allows you to hit better, then its worth it. If the light allows you to identify your target, then its worth it. No matter what gun its on.

Do it! Do it!

Top Bottom