• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LOL I've shot a few AK's and SKS's in my day so I know pretty much how they handle but I've been reading about this new AK type from I.O., Inc. Sounds nice and seems like it has all the nicities of the AK and ALOT of improvements. Does anyone own one or has anyone shot one?

Comes in the calibers of 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54R?, .223, and .308. Whats with the 54R version of the 7.62? Don't believe I've shot those before...:dunno:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    LOL I've shot a few AK's and SKS's in my day so I know pretty much how they handle but I've been reading about this new AK type from I.O., Inc. Sounds nice and seems like it has all the nicities of the AK and ALOT of improvements. Does anyone own one or has anyone shot one?

Comes in the calibers of 7.62x39mm, 7.62x54R?, .223, and .308. Whats with the 54R version of the 7.62? Don't believe I've shot those before...:dunno:

I have never seen a 7.62x54R AK. That is new. The only .308 AKs I have seen are Saigas.

Anyhow, the 7.62x54R (R is for Rimmed) is a caliber from the late 1800s, originally for the Mosin Nagant. Power-wise, it is in between modern .30-06 and .308, so it is pretty stout. The Rimmed part means it has a rim on the back of the case, kind of like a revolver round. They originally did this because the Russians knew their machining was not that great and with the round spacing off of a rim gave them more wiggle room in the toleraces of the gun (as opposed to spacing off of the neck like modern rifle rounds do). This is the round that the Russians used pretty much up until the AK came out in 7.62x39, including all of WWII. It is also the caliber that the Dragunov is chambered in.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No wonder I never heard of it... I've been weighing whether I want to get one of these in .223 or an AR... While the AR's are nice and plentiful, I'm still studying which will work being pulled from out of the dirt (seen a few) and which wont. I've seen some video of these being used out of the water and out of the dirt, etc. The research I've done say it's super acurate for a German made AK.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The research I've done say it's super acurate for a German made AK.

If your research sources claim the STG-2000 is a "German made AK," you need to get some new sources. :lmfao: The STG-2000s are simply Romanian barreled actions in the vein of the Century WASR series, dressed up in some US-made furniture intended to resemble the East German Weiger STG-940 series rifles. They won't shoot any better or worse than any other Romanian AK.

I will say, though, that the STGs I've handled seem to have a better magwell conversion (cleaner cuts and less mag wobble) and slightly better finish than their WASR cousins; I guess the monkeys doing the work for IO are a little less drunk than the monkeys doing the work for Century. :): I like the length and style of the STG buttstock, but the furniture overall feels very cheap (thin/hollow plastic, and a lot of movement in the handguards), and the handguard length and method of attachment is proprietary, limiting your upgrade/replacement options.

All of the above comments pertain only to the 7.62x39 STG-2000 variant; I haven't personally handled the .223, but I imagine it would be similar. The .308 and 7.62x54R versions advertised are based on the Romanian PSL and are an entirely different animal.

HTH!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LOL your right, my mistake! I loooked at the article wrong. I read it several times so I should have known better!

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I own a STG-2000-C in 7.62x39.
    It is light and handy, I don't have a problem with the furniture.
    The furniture is glass filled plastic just like tapco.

The receiver is Romanian the barrel is german.
    they are made in x39 and .223.

The PSL, FPK, and SSG-97 (IO) are chambered in 7.62x54r.
    I have an FPK Paratrooper in x54r, shorter than the PSL (18" barrel).
    It's an AK action based on the RPK.

Again it's a nice handy rifle, 36" overall length (Paratrooper Model)
    Limited to 10 rds due to the Rimmed cartridge.
    Big bang with the same recoil as an AK.

My FPK was imported by Tennessee Guns, built by Cuigar in Romania.

I like both rifles, they both shoot well with AK reliability.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    If you are looking for a reliable and cheap rifle why not buy a Romanian WASR in 7.62x39

No wonder I never heard of it... I've been weighing whether I want to get one of these in .223 or an AR... While the AR's are nice and plentiful, I'm still studying which will work being pulled from out of the dirt (seen a few) and which wont. I've seen some video of these being used out of the water and out of the dirt, etc. The research I've done say it's super acurate for a German made AK.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The receiver is Romanian the barrel is german.

Where are you getting this? According to the Kokalis article posted on IO's website, the STGs are made in Romania and start life as a single-stack, thumbhole stock configuration just like the WASRs. What's more, the STG-2000 barrel has a completely different profile and muzzle thread pattern than the real STG-940.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Okay, in looking for a good rifle these are the things I'm considering:

Reliability
    Accuracy
    Weight
    Ease of use
    Plentifulness of ammo
    Recoil

In that order

Recoil isn't such a factor as it's a semi-auto and probably won't be a Full auto so how much it kicks isn't a BIG factor but a factor none the less.

Reliability is my main concern. As with an evil glock(haha j/k) if I must lay in the dirt and mud, or submerge myself in water, will it effectively and reliably fire.

Accuracy is my Secondary concern. With or without a scope, can it consistently hit a target out 100yds or more. Doesn't have to be perfect, but hit a kill zone effectivly and consistently.

Weight is a primary concern because I don't want to lug around a 12lbs rifle if for some reason I have to "hoof" it. This makes the Beretta Cx4, STG, Rem R-15, Bushmaster Carbine 15, and Wilson Combat Tactical very attractive prospects.

By plentiful ammo, I mean an effective but common round. Such as the 223 or 7.62. I see alot of 5.56 but I hear 223 and 762 are all around better rounds.:dunno: Any input would be very helpful on this. More fact and experiance than opinion preferably! LOL

Ease of use, well, do I flip a safety pull the bolt back and fire, or do I flip a switch, another switch, pull the bolt back, have to wine and dine, followed by a movie and massage, etc. Although for the right rifle a good set of "rings" coupled with some nice optics would certainly be in order! :rockwoot:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    AK47

Okay, in looking for a good rifle these are the things I'm considering:

Reliability
    Accuracy
    Weight
    Ease of use
    Plentifulness of ammo
    Recoil

In that order

Recoil isn't such a factor as it's a semi-auto and probably won't be a Full auto so how much it kicks isn't a BIG factor but a factor none the less.

Reliability is my main concern. As with an evil glock(haha j/k) if I must lay in the dirt and mud, or submerge myself in water, will it effectively and reliably fire.

Accuracy is my Secondary concern. With or without a scope, can it consistently hit a target out 100yds or more. Doesn't have to be perfect, but hit a kill zone effectivly and consistently.

Weight is a primary concern because I don't want to lug around a 12lbs rifle if for some reason I have to "hoof" it. This makes the Beretta Cx4, STG, Rem R-15, Bushmaster Carbine 15, and Wilson Combat Tactical very attractive prospects.

By plentiful ammo, I mean an effective but common round. Such as the 223 or 7.62. I see alot of 5.56 but I hear 223 and 762 are all around better rounds.:dunno: Any input would be very helpful on this. More fact and experiance than opinion preferably! LOL

Ease of use, well, do I flip a safety pull the bolt back and fire, or do I flip a switch, another switch, pull the bolt back, have to wine and dine, followed by a movie and massage, etc. Although for the right rifle a good set of "rings" coupled with some nice optics would certainly be in order! :rockwoot:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Any of them.
    All of the above, unless completely wasted by corrosive primers, or terrible mistreatment should meet your criteria just fine.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yes but what about the Mag Wobble? how can that be counter acted? I'd hate to ruin a good gun trying to fix a noise. Also, what would be a good caliber?

I'm figuring for a worst case scenario, should I have to use the enemies rounds they "drop", what would be best? 223, 762, 556... does the AK even chamber 556??? LOL

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Romanian WASR. In the past you said money has been an issue. It's an issue for me as well but it has prevented you from getting some training.

The AK47 meets all of your criteria. The Romanian's will run and are cheap. I would prefer to see it in person before I bought it and check for canted sites / gas block. I have owned one and it was great.

Which one?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

I own one and it's fit and finish (except for the front handguards) is better than your standard CAI stuff. It is also far lighter than a standard AK. It is no supershooter, but does ok. I have to get mine out to the range now that I have the scope mounted.

It is no sniper rifle, but then again, my PSL really only plays one on TV. Even with an 8x scope attached. :):

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Don't worry about the wobble.

7.62x39 is the caliber you want. Yes you can get one in 556. Any of the ones you mention will hurt.

Yes but what about the Mag Wobble? how can that be counter acted? I'd hate to ruin a good gun trying to fix a noise. Also, what would be a good caliber?

I'm figuring for a worst case scenario, should I have to use the enemies rounds they "drop", what would be best? 223, 762, 556... does the AK even chamber 556??? LOL

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

Accuracy is my Secondary concern.

"ARs are more reliable than you think, and AKs are more accurate than you think." Truer words have never been spoken. While each system has its strengths and weaknesses, they are both more than capable of doing what you need to do.

I see alot of 5.56 but I hear 223 and 762 are all around better rounds.

Not sure what you mean by "223 and 762 are all around better rounds". For most practical purposes, 5.56 and .223 are interchangeable. The 5.56 vs 7.62x39 "debate" is largely a re-hash of the light/fast vs. heavy/slow argument (could just as easily substitute 9mm vs. .45, etc). Too much breath is already wasted on that; I'm not going to go there. I have owned 7.62x39 rifles in the past, but have standardized on the "small bore" calibers (5.56 and 5.45) in both the AR and AK platforms. I believe they are inherently more accurate, are effective enough out to 300 yards, and the low recoil facilitates quick follow-up shots.

Ease of use, well, do I flip a safety pull the bolt back and fire, or do I flip a switch, another switch, pull the bolt back, have to wine and dine, followed by a movie and massage, etc.

Neither the AR nor the AK has an overly complicated manual of arms; that's a wash.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Money, Yes and it continues to be. I'm just researching my options and trying to make a good judgement before I do go buy anything. I do like the AK's and have shot many of them. But I've never really shot too many AR's except one Bushmaster a few times and an RRA not too long ago. Besides that, the most rifles I used to shoot were bolt action and, again, some AK's and a few SKS's. Shot some nice sniper rifles and that's how I gained my love of the long shot.

Since I've got some good experiance running around in here, whatta y'all think of the Cx4 and Rx4? The Cx4 is really light and comes in good calibers. I just question its reliability since it's so new. I have considered A Px4 Sub compact for my BUG it's a nice handgun and has a nice trigger pull, but that's for another thread..

Top Bottom