Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Difference between the HK91 Clones? PTR91, CA91, FA91... etc

Whats the difference between the various HK-91 clones out there? How would you price them all out comparatively? Any reason to stay away from any of the clones? I wish I could get a genuine Heckler & Koch but I'm not sure if its gonna happen anytime soon.

I believe the clones I've seen are PTR-91, Century Arms, Federal Arms... correct me if I'm wrong. What other makers are there and what are the differences?

I live in NWI if anybody wants to adopt-a-Rambone and let me shoot their '91. Thanks guys!!
    In Soviet Amerika, the Law violates YOU

Certified Glock Nut
    The ONLY one I would spend money on would be a PTR-91; they are made here on tooling purchased from FMP, which was an HK-licensed manufacturer in Portugal. All the others you mention are built on parts kits and receivers of dubious quality, and should be avoided, IMO.

An option that splits the difference between the PTR-91 and a real HK-91 would be an older Springfield SAR-3 or SAR-8. These were manufactured in Greece by Hellenic Arms (again, an HK licensed producer) and imported by Springfield. Later SAR-8s were built on US-manufactured cast receivers with a rail on top and should be avoided.

The PTR 91 is a very clean rifle and IMO looks as good, and probably better, than a NIB HK 91.

I own a Centurion 99 (sold my other one when I got the PTR91). They are great guns, the one I own I've put 2k rounds thru w/o a malfunction and I bought it used, the other had probably 500 rounds thru, also flawless.

Mine is a Centurion 99 and also has a Federal Arms Corp FA 91 receiver. I love them.

That said, the clone G3's have taken a bad rap due to the infamous Hesse/Vulcan production clones that were pure crap.

Also keep in mind that there are also 'CETEME' clones as well... it's not an easy subject to broach because most people are extremely ignorant to the many clones and the ones that are good vs junk. I fall on the slightly ignorant side, because with so many stories on the net and the lack of detail about WHICH manufacturer, let alone with model, it is difficult to offer a completely educated opinion.

That said, the PTR91's are the cats meow and well worth the $1,000 NIB price tag. Centurion 99/FA91's are still reasonably priced at ~$500. I'd never buy a Hesse/Vulcan product of any kind and I wouldn't risk any of the other clones.

Shooter521 mentions the SAR3/SAR8 which most people have either forgotten or didn't even know existed, great guns! Considering their price tag, I'd buy the NIB PTR91 but if you could score one for the price of a C99/FA91 I'd grab it w/o hesitation.
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
    Thomas Jefferson

www.military-arms.com

Expert
    That said, the PTR91's are the cats meow and well worth the $1,000 NIB price tag. Centurion 99/FA91's are still reasonably priced at ~$500. I'd never buy a Hesse/Vulcan product of any kind and I wouldn't risk any of the other clones.

I saw this on gb and almost Federal Arms FA-91 308 rifle semi-auto : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

I'll sell you mine for 1k

WOW thats bad! You can see from a mile away that the receiver is a ****ty casting thats almost twice the mass of an original. Geeze.

Id stay away from the FA91's. There is a ton of bad things said about there aluminum receivers and the hard cocking after they heat up. on the net. Here are a few links...

Federal Arms FA91 - THR
    HK Weapon Systems Forums: Federal Arms Corp: HK91 Clone????
    GunBroker.com Message Forums - FA91 problems
    "Hold on to your lug nuts, its time for an overhaul".

Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by swissrifles1 View Post
    Id stay away from the FA91's. There is a ton of bad things said about there aluminum receivers and the hard cocking after they heat up. on the net. Here are a few links...

Federal Arms FA91 - THR
    HK Weapon Systems Forums: Federal Arms Corp: HK91 Clone????
    GunBroker.com Message Forums - FA91 problems
    The FA is nothing compared to a PTR or actual HK but they are better than a century or hesse build. I got one a couple weeks ago and it has ran flawless. I put a little over 300rds through it last week without an issue. They are ugly as hell but I doubt that receiver will ever fail, it's about a foot thick.
    and you can find negative threads for anything if you look

Did you know they used an epoxy substance and pins in that receiver?.(so I have read) Good luck. Aluminum and steel dont go well together.
    "Hold on to your lug nuts, its time for an overhaul".

Plinker
    I used to have a HK91, back in the 80's. I would personally buy the PTR91 (I think it used to be JLD).

This was mentioned earlier, that the PTR or JLD is manufactured on equipment that was used to make G3's or HK91's for the Portugese Military.

Can't get much closer to the HK91, than that. I have been tempted many times, concerning the PTR91.

JLD/PTR reduced the amount of flutes (supposedly softer recoil), reworked the chamber and barrel (to accomodate surplus military ammo), and are parts compatible for the most part, with the HK91.

I hear the PTR91's are solid, reliable, and accurate for this type of rifle.

Poor man's HK91, so to say. JLD/PTR is an American produced HK91, like DSA is a American produced FAL, somewhat cheaper and just as good (eyes of the beholder).

I still might bite on one, who knows. Good luck.

For what it's worth I own a cast Cetme, and have had zero problems with it. The early Century build made in the St. Albans, VT facility are quality compared to the stamped versions. The only thing as far as I know to look out for on the Century Cetme's are ground bolts. If you can afford a PTR that would be my first choice, but I am more then happy with my cast Cetme.

Together we stand, divided we fall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast