• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    any advice on a good fun investment piece? not gotta lot of money laying around but would love to pick up a cool c&r rifle that i can enjoy and one day leave to my son. something thats maybe cheap now but will go up in value. im only 27 my son is 4. so i have time to play with i hope...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    SKS is always good. Cheap ammo, semi auto. Can pick them up for about $159. Yugo Mauser, $130, ammo fairly plentiful and cheap. Or get a Mosin for $89 if you want a beater. Big bullet and cheap too.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Before they get too much more expensive, look into picking up a Swiss K-31. Supplied are (reportedly) drying up...

-J-

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mosin Nagant of some sort. Dirt cheap and fun. I love my M44.

Enfield. I have a US made Enfield No.4 MkI Lend Lease rifle. It was made by Savage Arms for the Brits before we officially entered WWII. I paid a little over $200 for it and it is in great shape. The No.4 MkI also features a modern style flip peep sight (like an M1A or AR), not the old notch and post style. That was a selling point for me as I love peep sights.

Yugo SKSes are C&R

Swiss K31. COOL gun, expensive ammo. Straight pull bolt (just pull back and push forward) and an excellent trigger. I hear they are one of the most accurate WWII C&R guns too. It is Swiss made afterall. Once you get reloadable brass, I hear it takes standard .308 bullets.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    For an Investment Rifle:
    Savage Enfield - US made
    K98 Mauser with Nazi Markings
    Yugo Mauser
    K31
    Finish Mosin M39

Finns are the most collectable mosins.
    Some of the russian's are collectable but not all.
    1891's are hard to find
    M38's

Some M44'a and M91/30 are collecatble gut it depends on markings and condition.

Even if they are not an investment Mosin's are Great rifles and everyone should have a Dozen or so. lol

M1 Garands are very collectable and around $500 from CMP.
    M1 carbines are also very collecatable for about the same.
    Both of these will only go up in price.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    For an Investment Rifle:
    Savage Enfield - US made
    K98 Mauser with Nazi Markings
    Yugo Mauser
    K31
    Finish Mosin M39

Finns are the most collectable mosins.
    Some of the russian's are collectable but not all.
    1891's are hard to find
    M38's

Some M44'a and M91/30 are collecatble gut it depends on markings and condition.

Even if they are not an investment Mosin's are Great rifles and everyone should have a Dozen or so. lol

M1 Garands are very collectable and around $500 from CMP.
    M1 carbines are also very collecatable for about the same.
    Both of these will only go up in price.

That about encompasses the "non expensive" C&R's.
    Since you didn't say just military, you could look into some of the old Mossburg 22's. Like the military trainers and such. They are going up in price, especially if they have all their original equipment. Plus they tend to be sweet shooters. I have a 46b. It's very sweet.
    Then you wouldn't have to worry about round availabilaty/prices.
    just a suggetion.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    K31 or K98 Mauser in good condition would be my recommendation. The rest are cool guns, but these are more of an investment.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    so what do the swiss grrr cant remember wht they are but seen one at bradis what do they go for? and the german k98 ? both of those would be great i really like the swiss pullback lever.... which shoots the least expensive bullets?...lol love shooting for cheap

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    so what do the swiss grrr cant remember wht they are but seen one at bradis what do they go for? and the german k98 ? both of those would be great i really like the swiss pullback lever.... which shoots the least expensive bullets?...lol love shooting for cheap

SOG has the K31's for $200 and $230
    7.5 swiss ammo is $0.50 a round.
    They are the most accurate Military bolt gun ever issued (or so I've heard)

Cheapest to shoot, Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54r $55 for 300rds.
    Mosin's run from $69-$89 + shipping and transfer

Finnish Mosin's will run $250 +

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    so where do i get one in good condition? would love one of those cool germans with the markings intact! ! or a nice swiss rifle would be cool too.... i think ive heard the mosin refered to as the RUSSIAN HAMMER? thought ive heard that b4.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    so where do i get one in good condition? would love one of those cool germans with the markings intact! ! or a nice swiss rifle would be cool too.... i think ive heard the mosin refered to as the RUSSIAN HAMMER? thought ive heard that b4.

You can pick up a Mosin at just about any gun show. The last 1500 had a few tables that were selling them. One had (literally) a pile of beat-to-hell M38's for around $70. Another had a couple of nice ones for $300-$500. I bough an M44 from a third table for $100 that was in great condition (but of the not-very-collectible variety). You can read more about it in this thread.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    the other guy mentioned sog? its a dealers site? but i would love a price on one of those k98 with the markings and a way to aquire one.... im not a nazi kinda person but i am a history freak! and that would be awsome to have...... and the swiss rifles are my choice...lol i will get a mosin eventually no hurry on the mosin i wanna find a good one seen alotta crappy lookin ones.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    good looking mosin you got lucky next show you can pick one out for me...lol

They had four or five at the 1500. I saw them again at the Kokomo show and they had a few more for the same price. I think I did get pretty lucky, but I also think a decent Mosin probably isn't all that hard to get anyway.

I'll try to post the seller's name when I get home later tonight. In the meantime, it was the guy who usually has them laid out on brown cardboard rifle boxes on the tables, rather than in a rifle rack.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    the other guy mentioned sog? its a dealers site? but i would love a price on one of those k98 with the markings and a way to aquire one.... im not a nazi kinda person but i am a history freak! and that would be awsome to have...... and the swiss rifles are my choice...lol i will get a mosin eventually no hurry on the mosin i wanna find a good one seen alotta crappy lookin ones.

Send me a PM with your E-mail and I will send you a pdf of the SOG catalog.

Centerfire Systems, Inc.

Military Gun Supply, Your #1 Source for Military Guns, Ammunition, and Accessories

J&G Sales

Classic Arms Inc.

http://www.allans-armory.com/aa.php

AIMSurplus, your home for surplus ammunition, guns and firearms

Curio and Relic Firearms, AK Rifles, Nagant Revolvers, Snipers, M44 M38 Mosins, Mausers

Welcome to Samco Global Arms, Inc.

all of the above dealers will have mosin's.
    The beat way to get a really nice one is Call SOG and get a Handpick, or buy from allens armory, or aztec.
    You will pay more at Allens and Aztec but you will get a beautiful. rifle.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'll try to post the seller's name when I get home later tonight. In the meantime, it was the guy who usually has them laid out on brown cardboard rifle boxes on the tables, rather than in a rifle rack.

The dealer was CNI, Inc. from Crown Point, IN. I have no idea who they are or even if they're reputable. It's a decent rifle and I paid what I think is a fair price, that's about all I can say.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    so ok since the wifey took a good portion on my play money im looking at the mosins..... wich would be 1 more collectable and 2 fun to shoot...... im looking at the m38 a laminated m44 and posibly a hex 91/30 can only buy 1 :( (thinking m38) as "recomendation from karl" thanks karl! what does every 1 else think?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    so ok since the wifey took a good portion on my play money im looking at the mosins..... wich would be 1 more collectable and 2 fun to shoot...... im looking at the m38 a laminated m44 and posibly a hex 91/30 can only buy 1 :( (thinking m38) as "recomendation from karl" thanks karl! what does every 1 else think?

Just got to shoot my M44. A little detail here.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    kick like a love struck mule huh? thats what i hear.... how accurate is it? ..... i like bayo's for sum reason.... good pix wasnt sure aterburys range was stilll there after the tornados now i wanna go!!!! i still havent shot my sks or my ak i bought

Top Bottom