Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marksman

Silver Barrel? Coating outside barrels? Where to take?

Well, I'm looking to "customize" a shotgun I have, I want to get the barrles that are now blued, coated in something that is silver. What would they use? Whats the most durable? I Live in Fort Wayne. Some one help me out!

Powder coat? I need durable and something that will obviously hold up to heat!

the best solution if you want something that is silver and shiney would be nickel plating... its expensive but very very durable.... other alternatives that are not as shiney would be duracoat and cerakoat (if there is such a color in cerakote) other than that you could polish the metal shiney and then clear duracoat overtop of it to protect against rust.

If you wanted to go the other way, I'd recommend black oxide-there's a place I have my stuff done there in Ft Wayne that does an amazing job. to change blue/black to silver, though, duracoat is probably your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dburkhead View Post
    This is a discussion board. We're here to discuss, even if we <gasp> disagree.

I don't know if it's shiny enough for you, but Norrells Moly-Resin comes in a stainless steel color that replicates the look of glass beaded stainless. I've been considering having my 1911 frame done in this for a two tone look.

Marksman
    I dont need it "shiny" Silver with a nice sheen will do.

I have the stainless Norrell's moly resin and it turns out pretty nice. Not shiny but does give a stainless appearance.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

The frame on my Kimber is done in Brownell's Gun-Kote stainless steel. Very durable and available in spray cans (you provide the oven).
    Lotsa plastic, feels like a BB gun to me.

Shooter
    They are not cheap by any means, but I have heard these guys do amazing work.Robar Premium Finishing & Firearms Home Page I plan to send a few of my guns to them, one at a time over a few years of course Their price list says $130 for NP3 on the barrel. NP3 is their proprietary nickel plating process that involves Teflon coating.......You'll just have to go to their site and surf around......

The most durable "silver" colored finish I've ever had on a firearm has been hard chrome. Mine was a brushed hard chrome finish and looked very close to stainless steel. I've had a few nickel finishes on firearms and had a problem with flaking and/or discoloration.

not cheap is an understatement... they are VERY expensive, but with a reputation like thiers, they can be

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast