• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Ok, here's what I am thinking. I occasionally have to travel out of state and to places where handguns are not allowed (until Heller has it's full impact). Anyways, one plan I was considering is to build a trunk gun case that I could secure in either of my family vehicles and use for travel.

First question, "What gun to trunk?"

This would need to be a firearm that could pass even strict state and municipality rules (as best can be predicted without actual research). As such, my AK's, AR's, etc are out. Second, it would need to be relatively small, yet effective. A long gun that is not too long. Dangerous, but not too evil. I figure these are my best options:

1. Keltec Sub 2000 in 9mm or .40 - Collapses impresively.
    2. Keltec .223 carbine/rifle - Also stores small, but bigger bang.
    3. Mossberg 88/500 in Cruiser form - Small, very big bang.
    4. M1 carbine or Mini-14 - Not as small, more expensive.

I do not want this to be really pricey in case it gets stolen.

Second Question, "What to carry it in?"

Ideally, this would need to lock down near permanently and yet be transferrable between a car trunk and a mini-van. It has to be an unquestionably locked, sealed container. Ammo will be locked in a separate container.

Ideas include:

1. Pelican case (regular gun cases are pretty flimsy and some LEO might not consider it a true "container"). But then mounting becomes an issue.
    2. Metal case/Steel case like pickup trucks use. Do they make these small enough for a car trunk?
    3. Something custom made, wood or steel.

It really needs to be small, not so big as to take up too much space.

In the meantime:

I guess I could just toss in my sporter Izzy, or pickup a cheap mosin 38. That would be better than nothing. But just a bit better.

Ideas, suggestions? Any of you got such a rig set up?

Thanks.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'd seriously consider an 18.5" Mossberg 500, or Remington 870, in a 4+1 configuration. Inexpensive ($300ish), Effective for self defense, and not "evil" in the eye of most beholders.

But that's just my suggestion. There will be other good ones also.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Mosin Carbine - Who doesn't love a Mosin.
    Hi-Point Carbine in 9mm or .40 - No Hi-Cap mags to **** off the Anti-gun states. They are also cheap at $150.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What about a Beretta CX4 Storm carbine? Getting ammo from its locked container into action would be quick with pre-loaded magazines. Versus having to actually 'load' a shotgun.

cx4storm.jpg

In the case of a shotgun, do you HAVE to have the ammo separate? What about a Cruiser loaded with 00Buck and a sidesaddle of slugs?

268617336_f1b169a7a7.jpg

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    The setup I would use is a .357 lever gun w/scout setup. (Reload as you fire, due to no mags to switch out.)
    No one would freak out if they saw it.
    Plus, the rounds available everywhere.

As far as a case, I suggest a heavy one secured into the trunk w/quick releases, so you can transfer between vehicles.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am not worried about Indiana. I am worried about Illinois, or Kansas, or...

Ok, then that makes more sense, as I do not know what their laws are concerning transporting long guns.

If you're working under the idea that they will DEFINATELY be unloaded and ammo kept separately, then something magazine-fed would be a plus, as you wouldn't have to spend extra time loading, unlike a shotgun/levergun.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The setup I would use is a .357 lever gun w/scout setup. (Reload as you fire, due to no mags to switch out.)

As far as a case, I suggest a heavy one secured into the trunk w/quick releases, so you can transfer between vehicles.

I haven't found an inexpensive .357 levergun, but you can find 30-30's all day for cheap.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    IMHO I would buy a Romanian WASR AK47. Shoot it, throw it in the trunk, and call it a day!

There you go Techres, a reason to pick up yet another AK ;). But really, I think he's concerned about the AWB-like laws in some states, so I'm not sure an AK would work.

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I carry a SAR-1 in my trunk but I don't take it into NY or NJ or MD or DC or ... you get the point :rolleyesedit:

If I was traveling, I would really want a weapon that could be loaded quickly and could be used at a longer range. For me, a pump action rifle or a semiauto rifle that is ban exempt would be my top choices.

Now, a post-ban style AR-15 would be great but I hate to leave something worth that much money in the trunk of my car as a backup. A mini-14 is better but I never liked the way any mini-14 I have shot shoots (not that my AK shoots better to be fair).

So, my choice would likely be a modest Remington 760 carbine in 308. You can find them used cheap, the 308 round will give you great range and power and you can drop 2 or 3 loaded mags in a bag and you can load quickly and reload quickly in a crisis.

95143.jpg

GunBroker.com guns: Remington 7600 308 Win Synthetic (item: 103329674 ends: Jun-27-08 04:22:04 PM)

One of the new ones that take M-16 mags and is in 223 would be very slick too but they are expensive for a trunk gun.

Just one oppinion as like I said, I carry an AK unless I am going out of state. Then, well I am stuck as the two choices I would have are a Rem 760 in 270 or an 870 shotgun. The rest of my semiauto rifles are non-ban or more then 10-rd mags.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    There you go Techres, a reason to pick up yet another AK ;). But really, I think he's concerned about the AWB-like laws in some states, so I'm not sure an AK would work.

I have been looking pricewise, and a 5 round shotgun would run $200-300, and a lever 30-30 would run just about the same. Reload time is about the same, likely problem level low, the lever gun ammo is more compact, I already have a stockpile of 12ga ammo.

I will need to keep an eye on the smaller gun shops for a deal.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I have been looking pricewise, and a 5 round shotgun would run $200-300, and a lever 30-30 would run just about the same. Reload time is about the same, likely problem level low, the lever gun ammo is more compact, I already have a stockpile of 12ga ammo.

I will need to keep an eye on the smaller gun shops for a deal.

Head down to that pawnshop on the corner of 2nd and Walnut. I've never priced anything out there, but they had a very large selection of used long-guns IIRC. I always said I would make it out there to look at what they have, but never made it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

This guy has the right idea. This is what I'd go with;
    Marlin Model 1894 "44 Mag" Stainless Steel - Marlin Rifles by Big Sky Guns LLC
    Stock sights or maybe XS, no optics.
    Low profile could put you in a PVC pipe case to paint and lock the way you want with handle or shoulder strap. That kind of case wouldn't even necessarily give it away as a firearm.
    For $550, you wouldn't want to lose it, but it could be much worse.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Agree 100% :thumbsup:

Both are effective and cheap.

I'd recommend the .40 cal. if you go for the H/P.

:cheers:

Cheap is important here. And size. the high point carbine is pretty darn short, along the lines of a cruiser shotgun. The only question is the pistol grip and an ATI stock would convert it to a thumbhole stock.

Anyone here had one for any length of time? Do they hold up?

Top Bottom