• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    OK, it has been a while since I've looked at it, but how difficult is it to remove the front sight base from an AK (74, if it matters)? Just a couple pins, right?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Usually not so simple. Once the pins are out, a BFH will probably be required to "persuade" the front sight base to come off. If it's really stubborn, you may have to cut it off. I ***-u-me you're replacing a neutered FSB with a threaded one?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Almost every FSB I have come into contact with will not move even with the pins out.

You might have to find a way to press, or remove by cutting a line along the bottom to get it off.

Good luck...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have had many that needed to be pressed off. I wound up cutting off a couple that I knew I was going to throw away. I have also had some, like the last Romak 2 I just did that all it took was hitting it from side to side (after soaking with CLP) to loosen it up, then slowly working it forward as I hit it from side to side. I block the barrel up on a 2x4 on the concrete floor of my garage. Trying to do it on a work bench makes it more difficult as the bench absorbs some of the impact that you want given 100% to the sight block.

When I cut the ones off, I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel, and used light cuts to make sure I didn't get into the barrel. When I got close, I used a chizel to break the cut which spread the sight enough to slip it off. Only one cut is needed, then spreading the block loosens it enough to get it off.

Top Bottom