• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There is no such thing as a "AK47 lower receiver"... since there is no such thing as an "AK47 upper receiver"...
    While you are correct, the item Karl has listed here is an AR47 lower. It is basically an AR15 with a different magwell to accomodate the AK magazine. You would need an AR15 upper chambered in 7.62 x 39 for this to be a complete firearm.

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    He didn't say anything about an AK, that looks pretty sweet.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 7.62x39 upper?

If I can find a good upper that I like, I might consider one.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    This is the opposite of the mod I've seen done on the .223 Saiga to accept AR-15/M-16 mags. Not sure which looks stranger an AK with straight AR mags or an AR with curved AK mags. :)

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I have one of the original "Special Weapons" AR-47s and it is a very fun gun. I have some photos and a review of sorts posted here:

Quarterbore's Forums - Interesting e-mail I just got from a visitor to my website...

It works great and god knows AK-47 mags are cheaper andfar more reliable then any 7.62x39 mags for the AR-15.

Just be warned, I think Special Weapons went out of business and I recall that Vulcan bought the rights to the gun design. I read that the new AR-47s are a ROYAL PITA to get working as the forgings and fitting is very poor compared to the original guns.

I would suggest going to a bigger board, like ar15.com, and ask for recent experience before ANYBODY buys one of the current AR-47 lowers unless you have a ful machine shop and are looking for a project.

Just my oppinion, but carfull as my positive experience is very different then what I have seen posted by others with the current version!

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Had a Special Weapons version awhile back, was not too impressed.
    Rounds started to stick in chamber after firing less than one mag/30 rounds. Got rid of it quick for an RPK.

I have not looked back since, will consider another if they work the "bugs" out.

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    Well, a chamber issue has to do with the upper and Special Weapons never made their own uppers. I built mine using a Colt 7.62x39 upper and that upper has been used on the AR-47 in semiauto and on a normal AR-15 upper with AR-15 7.62x39 mags in full auto and it works great. Remember to blame the part doing the work.

I have never owned a Model One upper and I doubt I ever will. Cheap parts can result in unhappy shoters, as described above perhaps.

Also remember that the old laqure coated cases were messy. The new polycoated ammo is much cleaner so you don't get the mess we used to get. 7.62x39 is always more of a mess then 223 just the same so you will need to clean the gun more then with 223 but the bigger round is worth it IMHO.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    The rounds would stick within shot #10-#20.
    Don't know about you but I won't trust a weapon that jams in that short of time.
    This is with thorough cleaning before and after range time.

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    No, I would not trust it either if my gun did that.

Just remember to put the blame where it belongs. The ammo or upper are to blame with what you describe, not the lower. That was my point.

I also see these as an nice to have after a person already has their AR-15s and AKs. I would never suggest a person buy an AR-47 and expect it to replace an AKM! It just is not that kinda weapon!

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I've heard good and bad about Model One.
    Just like any other brand, there's a few reports of problems.

Based on my own experience with 3 of their uppers and parts kits,
    over a 8 year span of time,
    I would recommend them, I've never had any trouble.
    They're at the Indy 1500 every time, so you can see the exact items
    and inspect them before you purchase.
    That being said, prices are getting very competitive these days,
    Model One isn't the bargain that it was during the ban.

I've always been leary of "wierd" combinations like this.
    Over time, you can end up with an expensive paperweight due to lack of parts.
    The 7.62 AR parts may be available now, but 10 years down the
    road they may not be.

Last edited:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've heard good and bad about Model One.
    Just like any other brand, there's a few reports of problems.

Based on my own experience with 3 of their uppers and parts kits,
    over a 8 year span of time,
    I would recommend them, I've never had any trouble.
    They're at the Indy 1500 every time, so you can see the exact items
    and inspect them before you purchase.
    That being said, prices are getting very competitive these days,
    Model One isn't the bargain that it was during the ban.

Disposable Heart has a Model 1 upper that seems to work fine as well.

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I should add, if anybody wants an AR-15 style gun that uses AK-47 mags there is another choice with the Modular lower from MGI.

Now, they are on my **** list as I tried to buy a SBR and gave them a credit card number and my dealer info for them to but it on the books, and my dealer sent a copy of his SOT FFL and after four or more calls they still have not charged my card or done anything with it. Hell I tried to buy back in February as I recall.

I should call again but at this point, I could care less about their product and I will spend my money elsewhere. So, I point out they are an option but I have doubts I will buy from them if they can't figure out how to process an order for a simple Short barreled Rifle receiver.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Hmmm. This might make a "AR-35" possible.

(7.62x39 case necked up to 35 caliber - legal for deer hunting, uses .358 diameter bullets widely available for .35 Rem and such)

Anybody make custom barrels for AR's?

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    Hmmm. This might make a "AR-35" possible.

(7.62x39 case necked up to 35 caliber - legal for deer hunting, uses .358 diameter bullets widely available for .35 Rem and such)

Anybody make custom barrels for AR's?

See:

Kurt's Kustom Firearms, LLC

I have had Kurt (above link) do a couple custom builds for me and he can do just about anything if he has the time!

Tromix Lead Delivery Systems

Tony, at the second link, has a rather insane history of making things that nobody else would try. He certainly would also have the tools and skill to make one.

AR15 BARRELS.COM HOME

This third link is a bit of an unknown by me but I know of many people that had custom barrels made by them and they all seem happy!

Good Luck!

Top Bottom