• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking for the best ar or ak for the money. There is way too much info out there and way too many opinions. I have been looking at the classifieds checking prices but Im not going to be ready to buy until the fall. Any ideas? Thank you

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    AK - Specifically a Romanian WASR10 or SAR.

I think it fits a budget much easier than a ar15. My dealer sells the new Romys for $360ish-$400 depending on options.

Ammo is also cheaper, you can get 1,000rds for around $190 shipped to your door from either aimsurplus.com or copesdist.com...

If you're wanting something nicer you can get a yugo ak for around $500ish, but if you want to spend more than that I'd just get an AR15.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, bargain AK's are $400-500 now (was $350-400). Bargain AR's are $600-800.

The current cheapest I have seen are both at J&G sales:

AMD's @ $430 & RPK's @ $399

Beware the .223 WASR's as they have jamming issues according to common wisdom.

J&G also has cheap AR "style" longarms:

CAI AR Style $599

I do not know what makes this AR an ar style and not a normal AR, but you can call and ask.

Personally, I would go for aimsurplus's stock as they are closer and have a very good reputation:

AK's & AR's @ AIM Surplus

The doublestar AR @$699 is going to be far better than the CAI I would guess.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Depends on how accurate you want you want your rifle. I built me a ar15a3 for less then $620 and it will shoot sub MOA.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    .....but Im not going to be ready to buy until the fall. Any ideas? Thank you

Yes, IMO,don't wait until fall...
    prices are going up and may be even higher as the election nears.

Have you decided on which caliber you want?
    You can build a decent AR for 600-700 dollars.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Yeah, bargain AK's are $400-500 now (was $350-400). Bargain AR's are $600-800.

The current cheapest I have seen are both at J&G sales:

AMD's @ $430 & RPK's @ $399

Beware the .223 WASR's as they have jamming issues according to common wisdom.

J&G also has cheap AR "style" longarms:

CAI AR Style $599

I do not know what makes this AR an ar style and not a normal AR, but you can call and ask.

Personally, I would go for aimsurplus's stock as they are closer and have a very good reputation:

AK's & AR's @ AIM Surplus

The doublestar AR @$699 is going to be far better than the CAI I would guess.

Thanks for the links. They just might come in handy. :)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yes, IMO,don't wait until fall...
    prices are going up and may be even higher as the election nears.

Have you decided on which caliber you want?
    You can build a decent AR for 600-700 dollars.

Ditto on this. Prices are going up on AR's & AK's and could be as much as $200+ on either item come November (my prediction $125-200 increase on either by Election Day).

Shortages are the other problem. Many of the AR makers are running longer wait times. RRA models are running real long as I have heard.

Between Ammo & Rifles, prices are brutal and only going higher. For now the only sure bet is that the prices are only going higher!

A year ago the best value in AK's was the 5.54x39 AK running $300 with 1k running $100. Now the price is $475-500 for the rifle and nearly $200 on the ammo. (still a good deal for the market of today).

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I have found two on each site that I am interested in. Unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed and have to wait until call-back or (if I get lucky) find another job (which I would prefer)

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Depends on how accurate you want you want your rifle. I built me a ar15a3 for less then $620 and it will shoot sub MOA.

what all is involved in building an ar? what are my caliber choices? I was under the impression .223 was the best way to go. I'm looking for a light recoil for better accuracy.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I have about $175 in my lower/LPK/A2 stock and buffer assembly now. I'm looking for a flat top upper, 16" non-chromed barrel, carbine length foregrip, trying to decide if I want .223 or 9mm, leaning toward the 9 due to ammo costs. Would likely do a carry handle as well, but not necessarily immediately. I kinda want to do the build myself rather than buy the bloody thing. I'd really like to not spend more than about $400 more-not sure if that's even an option. Anyone have ideas where I could start acquiring pieces-parts? I want reliable, obviously, but I don't have lots of disposable income to drop into this, certainly not all at once.

TIA

Blessings,
    B

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    If you can tear something apart and put it back together its easy. You can buy a complete upper assembly for the ar. I've gotten to putting a lower together in under 10 min now. The ar platform can shoot a **** ton of calibers. anything form .22lr to .458 socom to .50 beowolf, oh man there is a bunch of calibers.

My advise to the guy above is to go chrome or go home. Its worth the $35 for the reliability factor alone.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    If you can tear something apart and put it back together its easy. You can buy a complete upper assembly for the ar. I've gotten to putting a lower together in under 10 min now. The ar platform can shoot a **** ton of calibers. anything form .22lr to .458 socom to .50 beowolf, oh man there is a bunch of calibers.

My advise to the guy above is to go chrome or go home. Its worth the $35 for the reliability factor alone.

With all due respect, Don, from what I've read everywhere else, chromed barrels are good if you're going to be somewhere with lots of humidity, etc. and rare cleaning, but otherwise, they only degrade your accuracy. I don't know from personal experience, but I do know that my guns are carefully cleaned often.

If your experience is counter to what I've heard, I'll be happy to read what you have to say on it. Share? :)

Blessings,
    B

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    what all is involved in building an ar? what are my caliber choices? I was under the impression .223 was the best way to go. I'm looking for a light recoil for better accuracy.

If .223 is your choice:
    Be sure to get one chrome-lined and chambered 5.56 Nato.
    Chrome lined barrels IIRC have a longer life-span vs non-chrome lined.
    In other words, you can shoot more rounds before they wear out.
    Chrome-lined chambers reduce the possibility of stuck cases from
    scratches and/or corrosion.

It's simple to assemble a lower.
    Complete uppers are head-spaced and ready to pin to your assembled lower.
    The nice part about assembling one is the fact that you can
    spread the purchase out over time.
    If you decide that ar is the way you want to go...
    it would be prudent to purchase a lower ASAP (around $100)

Last edited:

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    ...trying to decide if I want .223 or 9mm, leaning toward the 9 due to ammo costs. Would likely do a carry handle as well, but not necessarily immediately. I kinda want to do the build myself rather than buy the bloody thing. I'd really like to not spend more than about $400 more-not sure if that's even an option. Anyone have ideas where I could start acquiring pieces-parts? I want reliable, obviously, but I don't have lots of disposable income to drop into this, certainly not all at once.

TIA

Blessings,
    B

Might be kind of tough doing the 9mm for $400.
    There's a pricey mag well adaptor needed.
    Plus I think you'll have to do some hammer mods for that particular build.
    Model one's website has some 9mm details

$400 should get you a .223 upper and bolt if you shop around

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Century ARs aren't a bad deal for what it is, a budget AR. I believe the lowers are Olympic Arms and the uppers and internals are used military stuff.

Budget AKs are becoming harder and harder to find. WASRs seem to be going for $375-400. But it's rolling the dice on d*cked up magwells and canted sights, unless you can inspect it before you buy it.

Whatever you decide, get one now, prices (esp. the AKs) are only going to go up. Rommy's used to be $239, I kept telling myself, wait a little while longer....now look.:draw:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was all set to get an STG-2000 (buddy with an FFL ordered through SOG). SOG apparently doesn't have any, so now I'm on the prowl for another cheap AK.

Should I wait for someone to cough-up theirs on here, order something from Atlantic Firearms, or just go to Plainfield SS or Bradis and buy one off the rack?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    If you can put it off. I would wait for a bit and see what comes up here and the other local classifieds. Do you want it in 7.62x39? Are you open to 5.45x39 etc?

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    With all due respect, Don, from what I've read everywhere else, chromed barrels are good if you're going to be somewhere with lots of humidity, etc. and rare cleaning, but otherwise, they only degrade your accuracy.

Blessings,
    B

This is true most competition shooters shoot non chromed barrels. :thumbsup:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I need 7.62x39mm at this time ... 5.45x39mm will come later (ammo is cheap!).

I'd like to wait and see what happens, but I'm in a bit of a time crunch. I need to get it, make sure it works, get my stock installed, and get it zeroed all before the middle of August. I need it for two classes I'll be taking.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom