• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Note: Sorry, I meant to post this in the "General" Firearms section, excuse the mistake. If this can be moved I'd appreciate it. Sorry.

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum so I thought I'd post a question to see if you guys can help me out a little. First a little background info on me is probably necessary: I'm 16 years old (I live in Indiana of course) and I just around 4-5 months got interested in firearms. I don't really know what got me started, but pretty soon I learned everything I could, so I eventually shared my new interest with my parents. I told them I would be very interested in going to a range to shoot, as I never had a chance to before and I was very anxious to. Well, my dad owns a few guns, but I wouldn't exactly call them gun enthusiasts or anything, so not surprisingly they didn't react very well. I guess with all the fear of guns nowadays they sort of ruled out the fact that I just love shooting as a hobby and I like learning the history, functioning, etc. behind different guns. That was quite a while ago and since then they are a little more comfortable with the idea of me shooting, I've been to some ranges and I've gotten to shoot some, but they still worry quite a lot. Basically what I'm asking for is some advice from you guys, any of you ever been in a similar situation when you were younger? I know most people who get into shooting come from a household where it is more accepted, but unfortunately in my case, my parents don't really like the idea.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much! :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    :welcome:

Unfortunately, as long as you live at home and you're still a minor, you're pretty much at your parents' mercy.

I'm in my late 30's and my mom still disapproves. When she found out I carry, she about had a cow. I now find myself buying guns just to tick her off. :):

You might see if your local 4H or Explorer clubs have and shooting programs that you could get involved in.

(Oh, and you should post over in the Introduction forum, too, to let everyone know you're here! :thumbsup:)

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    :welcome: Welcome to the forum! I don't really have any advice that I would recommend, so I'll say this. Welcome and have plenty of.. um..:biggun: fun!

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Yeah, I understand your problem. Unfortunately the media has done a fantastic job of showing how prevalent "gun violence" is in America. As if the guns themselves are responsible for the violence! The media has effectively made guns the culprit behind crime, rather than criminals. Sadly the best advice is just to wait 'til your 18. Your parents will probably still disapprove, but at that point it really isn't for them to decide. I'm still somewhat young myself so even though I can legally purchase, own, and carry firearms some people are still sort of suspicious. I guess a lot of people just don't see how enjoyable and safe shooting can actually be. The media never reports people who responsibly use guns, defend themselves, or any such thing. Welcome to the forum by the way. It's good to see more young people into shooting!! :do2::patriot:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Not knowing what is available in your area and or if you are even interested but you might see if ROTC, Boy Scouts, 4H, hunting programs, etc (must be others) have a firearms program that you may be able to participate in. Gun ownership is a responsibility. Demonstrate to your parents that you can be responsible in your school and family obligations and maybe they will come around some to your point of view.

Good Luck

Omitted some Police Departments have Explorer Programs where you could learn many things including gun safety.

Last edited:

tmfinney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    New Castle
    I don't know exactly what to tell you to help you out, there are lots of experienced people on here to field that department, but your parents will never get the fear of their child shooting a gun out of their system. I'm almost 27 and mine about freaked when I told them I was building an AR15. I just told them I had to because I can't come up with a large amount of money to buy one outright and I want the satisfaction of knowing I built it. Plus I told my parents that Walmart was no longer selling models to build, so I told them to deal with it.

Oh, and Welcome to INGO

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    the aforementioned boy scouts would be a great start. the venture crews can shoot just about any legal firearm, with appropriate supervision. you're still young enough for 4H. whatever you do, try to be calm and mature when you speak to your parents about it. that works with me. as a dad, when my youngest whines or gets mad or sulks, it does not go well. when he's calm and mature, he tends put forth a reasonable argument and gets what he wants.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Daniel, You might want to take a look at the Appleseed program. You being under 21 would shoot free, your Mom or Dad could get some good rifle training as well for only $70 for an entire weekend. Show them how you could learn a new sport together. We've got 3 more shoots coming up over the next few months - Terre Haute, Wabash and Evansville so we're pretty much covering the state and you'll get some Revolutionary War history thrown in to make it educational. We often have multi-generational teams on the line and it's a great way to spend a weekend. PM me if you want additional details. Hawkhavn RWVA Instructor and IN State coordinator. The Appleseed Project The Appleseed Project

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I know it has already been said, but it is worth repeating. Hold yourself to a high moral standard. Think your actions through and be responsible. When your parents notice that you are making intelligent decisions, they will let out more leash. Eventually, it wont matter what the subject matter is, guns or otherwise, because they will know that you have a good head on your shoulders. If you are struggling at school or breaking curfew, it is going to be hard to convince them that you are a mature young man.

Don't wait until you are 18 to have these discussion with your parents. Yes, you are a minor. Yes, you still have a brain to think on your own. Try to start conversations that are not confrontational, and speak cautiously. Think about what you want to say, and anticipate the counter-argument before the discussion starts. You have a better chance of making your point and forethought is a characteristic of wise people. Having a level head and accepting small changes in your father's attitude will yield much better results than butting heads with him.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    First of all welcome to the forum, and I also wanted to say thanks for a well written post, MUCH better than many young people posting that is for sure. (better than many older people too, myself included at times!)

I don't know you or your parents of course, but the above comments are good ones with good advice for you. I would also note that it has only been 4-5 months ago that you got interested in this so do not get too frustrated, it's new and will take time for your parents to adjust and for you to prove your responsibility to them regarding your hobby. It might take some time, and this is normal so don't worry about it. Heck, most people as mentioned above, are doing this with parents after they are moved out, let alone convincing a wife! :):

It sounds as if you have got to go shooting already, so they are working with you it would appear. Keep showing that you have a good head about you and be open with them, as others have already said and this will help. Classes as mentioned on shooting safety or shooting programs will help you out personally, and help your parents feel at ease also.

Again, welcome, and be sure to stop by here often!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Note: Sorry, I meant to post this in the "General" Firearms section, excuse the mistake. If this can be moved I'd appreciate it. Sorry.

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum so I thought I'd post a question to see if you guys can help me out a little. First a little background info on me is probably necessary: I'm 16 years old (I live in Indiana of course) and I just around 4-5 months got interested in firearms. I don't really know what got me started, but pretty soon I learned everything I could, so I eventually shared my new interest with my parents. I told them I would be very interested in going to a range to shoot, as I never had a chance to before and I was very anxious to. Well, my dad owns a few guns, but I wouldn't exactly call them gun enthusiasts or anything, so not surprisingly they didn't react very well. I guess with all the fear of guns nowadays they sort of ruled out the fact that I just love shooting as a hobby and I like learning the history, functioning, etc. behind different guns. That was quite a while ago and since then they are a little more comfortable with the idea of me shooting, I've been to some ranges and I've gotten to shoot some, but they still worry quite a lot. Basically what I'm asking for is some advice from you guys, any of you ever been in a similar situation when you were younger? I know most people who get into shooting come from a household where it is more accepted, but unfortunately in my case, my parents don't really like the idea.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much! :)

Daniel,

:welcome:

It sounds like you're on the right track. Parents worry. It's what we do, and you won't change it. Yours probably look at you at 16 and still in some ways see that little guy that used to need his britches changed every couple of hours. :baby: Sometimes that's a tough transition, even with 14 years in the middle. I'm in my 40s and my mother has come around a little bit but I suspect it's more because she knows that "Why do you need the gun?", asked in a disapproving tone just doesn't work. She is completely, totally, dyed-in-the-wool liberal, and isn't going to change. She doesn't understand how I could see things as I do, but when we get to those subjects, I stay calm, rational, and logical, and it makes her emotional arguments clear even to her for what they are.

Will this help you? Only you, your parents, and/or time will tell. It's a fair bet, though, that, "Dad? I called the range and they're open today... Want to go?" will be more productive than just wishing it would happen. (With the costs going up, if you have a part-time job it might help if you volunteer to give him the money for the ammo. If my daughter had had an interest in it and had approached it that way, we'd have gone... and the money she offered would have stayed in her purse, too. ;) )

I wish you good luck. Please keep us up on what happens.

Blessings,
    B

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Daniel, You might want to take a look at the Appleseed program. You being under 21 would shoot free, your Mom or Dad could get some good rifle training as well for only $70 for an entire weekend. Show them how you could learn a new sport together. We've got 3 more shoots coming up over the next few months - Terre Haute, Wabash and Evansville so we're pretty much covering the state and you'll get some Revolutionary War history thrown in to make it educational. We often have multi-generational teams on the line and it's a great way to spend a weekend. PM me if you want additional details. Hawkhavn RWVA Instructor and IN State coordinator. The Appleseed Project The Appleseed Project

Big :+1: !!

Daniel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Want to go?" will be more productive than just wishing it would happen. (With the costs going up, if you have a part-time job it might help if you volunteer to give him the money for the ammo. If my daughter had had an interest in it and had approached it that way, we'd have gone... and the money she offered would have stayed in her purse, too. ;) )
    That piece of advice I actually have tried although unfortunately they didn't turn down the offer for me to pay. :): But I actually did convince them to let me work and save somewhere around 200 dollars for a new .22 rifle. Well I showed my parents the money and they agreed to buy one for me with my money, but of course they still get nervous even when I ask to clean the gun after we shoot it.:rolleyesedit: Well anyway thanks for all the advice guys, I really do appreciate it! I try to show them I practice good safety around firearms, but it's hard to convince them. I remember we were speaking about the subject and I asked them why they allowed me to drive a car if it poses the same fatal risk as handling and shooting firearms, but they just see shooting as senseless and unnecessary so they prefer I just never be around them, even if I enjoy it. Well, I'll try to do some of the things you guys suggested. I'm still working a job and saving money for the costs of my hobby and I'm trying my best to demonstrate my responsibility so we'll see how it goes. Thanks once again everybody!:thumbsup:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Daniel, the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association is looking for juniors like yourself to sponsor and mentor in the shooting sports.

Go to Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association - Home and click on the shooting discipline that you are interested in and make contact with the person listed. They will do whatever it takes to get you more involved.

Welcome to the Indiana shooting family. I look forward to seeing you on a State shooting team at a match.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Daniel,

Another alternative to consider, if it would fit your circumstances, is an air rifle. If there is space to shoot in the yard/basemen/garage an air rifle is quiet, accurate and just as fun to shoot. The folks, if they consent, might perceive this as much less of a threat. You could all shoot and they could be impressed with your safety instructions to them.

Read this, live by it, instruct if you have the opportunity:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ate_col_jeff_cooper_shooter_trainer_hero.html

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana

OK Ed, So just when is the Terre haute Apple???? I know for sure I will have visitors with me then!!!!:cheers:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    OK Ed, So just when is the Terre haute Apple???? I know for sure I will have visitors with me then!!!!:cheers:

Thursday night we got approval from the Riley Conservation Club to run an Appleseed August 30-31. The web pages for it should be up in the next 24 hours and we will make announcements then.

It is likely the shoot will be capped at 25-30 shooters and will be a great shoot.

Ed will likely be shoot boss, I will be one of the IIT's (Instructor's in Training) and all the staff will likely be Hoosiers.

An announcement is imminent.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom