• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Went to Atterbury yesterday with my 10/22 and Mossy--my Mosin Nagant 91/30.

Two things about the Mosin--it kicks like an epileptic mule, and the bolt sticks that I often had to "whack" it pretty hard with the palm of my hand to open it. By the end of the day's shooting (about 50 rounds through Mossy and 100 through the 10/22) the palm and heel of my right hand was quite sore and is still a bit tender today suggesting that there might actually be some bruising.

My shoulder didn't feel too bad after the shooting, but today I find a line of bruise, right about where the outer edge of the butt of the rifle would have pressed, to the point where just shouldering a rifle is a bit painful.

Now, I'm wondering if maybe this is normal for a rifle like the Mosin Nagant which has a reputation for a substantial kick or if I was maybe holding it wrong (not placed right, not held in tightly enough, something like that).

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Couple of years ago a buddy and I were testing loads and optics on our 50 cal Encore muzzle loaders. After a dozen shots or so, we just didn't want no more. I sprung for a Lead Sled and it was fun again.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In the past when training shotgun with slugs, the general rule was if you bruised afterwards, you weren't pulling the gun back into your shoulder. Of course if you weren't getting a forward agressive stance, no amount of pulling back would prevent the ouchy.

Next time you go out, try moving the offside foot about 1 full step in front of the strong side foot, straighten the strong side leg, locking the knee. Lean forward at the waist. Basically, you should have a straightline (about a 60 degree angle if this makes any sense) from your shoulder through your hips, and through your back foot to the ground. That will set up a pretty substantial forward drive. Then mount the rifle and pull back into the shoulder with both hands. See if that helps at all.

Tinman....

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    What size mosin? 91/30 or 44 - 38?

If it was the shorter carbine, I don't don't you're sore and tender.

As for the bolt, you need to take it out and polish it on a jeweler's wheel.

There are several "how to" videos on the net on this subject.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    What size mosin? 91/30 or 44 - 38?

If it was the shorter carbine, I don't don't you're sore and tender.

As for the bolt, you need to take it out and polish it on a jeweler's wheel.

There are several "how to" videos on the net on this subject.

91/30.

I'll look for those videos.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My M44 bruised my shoulder the last time I took it out, but I was in a t-shirt with no shoulder pad, and sitting on a bench. I just picked up a 91/30 that I'm dying to take out. I'm interested to see how it compares.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    When I carved my new stock for my M44, I added a nice recoil pad and it is wonderous! The kick is usually because people are used to other or smaller guns. I own a .460 Weatherby, mortals know not the power of recoil until they fire that! (*actually, it isnt bad).:D:D

Biggest thing is what Tinman said. I fired countless M44s and never had an issue with shoulder pain. Correct stance and holding makes a world of difference. Recoil pads help, but also a stock developed for the larger American build helps place the weapon easier into the body.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'll be the first to admit I haven't shot a lot of rifles, so I don't really have much to compare it to. However, I was looking for an aftermarket recoil pad to install on the butt of the rifle shortly thereafter. :):

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Yes it will BOR.

Also, make sure you have the head space checked on EVERY surplus 91/30, 38, or 44 you buy.

Some of them are not correct.

Last, be careful when shooting ammo in the Mosins:

-99% of the primers used are corrosive. Carry around some windex in your range bag and when you're done, hose away! Follow with a patch and oil.

-Some 7.62x54R has a shellacking or varnish on the outside of the casings. This will cause the round to be tough or sometimes impossible to remove from the chamber after firing.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yes it will BOR.

Also, make sure you have the head space checked on EVERY surplus 91/30, 38, or 44 you buy.

Some of them are not correct.

Last, be careful when shooting ammo in the Mosins:

-99% of the primers used are corrosive. Carry around some windex in your range bag and when you're done, hose away! Follow with a patch and oil.

-Some 7.62x54R has a shellacking or varnish on the outside of the casings. This will cause the round to be tough or sometimes impossible to remove from the chamber after firing.

Will have headspace checked. Who is good to go to for that, or alternatively, what should it be, if I measure it myself?

Add windex to range bag. Check. (note to self: consider larger range bag!)

Prepare to use multi-tool in range bag to remove spent rounds after firing. Failing that... Cleaning rod?

Thanks for the pointers. It's been a long time since I fired bolt action. Something tells me this will be quite different from the .22s. :lmfao:

Blessings,
    B

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    IIRC any Gander mountain qualified gun smith can check the headspace.

Im not sure what the limits or the go no/go gauge is.

Long wooden dowell rod to remove spent shells is always a plus...

This compared to a .22 is like the first time shooting a 12 gauge as a kid. ;-)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Im not sure what the limits or the go no/go gauge is.

Your Mosin will probably come with an accessory kit which includes a multitool that has a headspace go/no go gauge on it. It looks like this (hotlinked from 7.62x54r.net, sorry):
    tool001.JPG

Here's some info from 7.62x54r.net

Q. What is headspace and should I get it checked?
    A. Headspace is the distance from the bolt face to the bearing point of the ammunition case in the chamber. 7.62x54r cases bear on the rim. If this space is too small then the bolt won't close. If the space is too large then there could be dangerous gas leakage when the rifle is fired. It is a good idea to check this on any surplus rifle, especially if the bolt is "mis-matched".

Q. How do you check headspace?
    A. There are three types of gauges for checking headspace, "Go", "No-Go", and "Field". They are inserted in the chamber or placed on the bolt face and then the bolt is closed. The Go gauge is the smallest and the bolt should close on it. The No-Go is the next largest and it is used by the arsenal when installing the barrel and the bolt should not close on it. The Field is the largest and is used to check firearms that have seen some service and the bolt should not close on it. Even if a firearm fails the No-Go gauge, it might pass the Field gauge and is safe to fire from a headspace standpoint. Most gunsmiths will have gauges in various calibers and will check headspace for a fee. If you plan on collecting several models in the same caliber it will probably be more cost effective to buy your own gauge or gauges. Generally a Field gauge is sufficient for checking military surplus firearms. Check the 7.62x54r.net Links page for sources.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Your Mosin will probably come with an accessory kit which includes a multitool that has a headspace go/no go gauge on it. It looks like this (hotlinked from 7.62x54r.net, sorry):
    tool001.JPG

IIRC that is NOT a headspace gauge. That is a firing pin protrusion gauge for putting the bolt back together correctly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBQ9EVlaRmo]YouTube - Mosin Nagant Bolt - assembly[/ame]

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IIRC that is NOT a headspace gauge. That is a firing pin protrusion gauge for putting the bolt back together correctly.

Well, to tell you the truth, I was basing that on a FAQ I read awhile back at 7.62x54r.net about checking headspace, but now that I've gone back to look for it, I can't find it.

Top Bottom