Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

AR vs AK recoil?

Hey all,
    I have a couple of AK and SKS variants that I love, but I also have a wife and daughters who are petrified to shoot them because of the recoil. I know pretty much nothing about AR's other than they are supposed to be a little more accurate, and someone mentioned that they might have lighter recoil. Could anyone comment on this? If you have both an AK and an AR, does the AR have noticeably less recoil? I need a new caliber like a hole in the head, but it may be worth looking into. Thoughts?

Yes an AR has less recoil than an AK.Neither are very heavy in recoil though.

Marksman
    Fired both, The AK is a bit more...but if you're scared of the AK recoil, I'd say you're still going to be scared of the AR's recoil.

Plinker
    AR doesn't really have any perceivable recoil- not that I've felt, at least.

One of the reasons I sold my AK was that the recoil is more than my AR. The original AK with wood stock is also heavier than the AR which makes it more intimidating for some women.
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

ARs have recoil???

Never noticed, of course I also shoot a shortened Nagant with HOT handloads.

Plinker
    Yes, I'm a Mosin junkie too but my wife won't even touch it. I just think that when the Mosin smacks your shoulder like a mack truck it's the Mosin's way of telling you it loves you. See, who says men can't be emotional?

Quote Originally Posted by NWIeng View Post
    Fired both, The AK is a bit more...but if you're scared of the AK recoil, I'd say you're still going to be scared of the AR's recoil.
    This.

Also, work with your wife and daughter on the issue. An AK will not HURT either of them because of recoil. It might scare them to try it, but if you work with them on weapons with less recoil (.22s), then it should build their confidence to try the AK. It should/will eventually get to the point that they are not afraid of the weapon, and want to shoot it. Just go about it professionally with respect to their feelings, and work with them. I think buying the AR would just be an expensive way to not fix the root of the problem.

My handloads are .003 of the lands, using a 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip(Green Tip) in front of IM 4198.

Barrel has been shortened to 22" and recrowned with a FAL flash supressor, I have a 1" pad on the back of a Monte Carlo stock and it still kicks like a 12ga with 3" magnums.

Sharpshooter
    ARs have some recoil but not much. I own both an AK and a couple ARs. I shoot the ARs much more often for varying reasons. I like my AK, in parts due to the looks and I love shooting it. I can't make a direct comparision as to recoil but I wouldn't think the AR recoil is manageable for your wife. My wife 5.2, 100lbs shoots it and has no problems controlling it. She won't touch a 12 Gauge SG or my K98 wiht a 10 foot pool due to the kick. If you're in the Lafayette area drop me a pm and I'd gladly let you shoot you one of mine to get a feel for it. The AR platform also has the advantage that you can get a 22lr kit for less than 200 mag included and shoot cheap ammo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast