• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OSOK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I need some advice. I recently inherited a 12 gauge L.C. Smith Double Barrel Shotgun. It was made in 1923 and was my great, great grandfather's. Everything on it is original, but there is a huge chunk of wood missing from the stock and a crack that goes halfway down the stock.

This shotgun will never leave the family. My dilema is: 1. Do I replace the stock so that I can use the shotgun (I really want to be able to use it but does this diminish its monetary value)? 2. Do I try to restore it to original specs and then use it?

Are there any reputable gunsmiths in the area that can handle a project like this?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The L.C. Smith Collectors Association

View Forum - Classics

Great guns to own, lots of good information out there. The LCSmith group can answer any and all of your questions, and have lots of shoots across the country, even some SxS competition against the Parker, Fox and Lefever guys. Get online and ask the sane questions over there. If you need more information on where I get mine re-stocked, please PM me.

Welcome to your new obbsession!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    There is a guy in Wes/Central Indiana that is a marvel at working on shotguns, and especially wood. His name escapes me right now, but I'll look into his contact info for you. He can repair your stock and you'll probably never be able to tell. As far as value, it doesn't really matter as it should never leave your family. Replace or repair the stock, whichever you will be happier with and whichever will get it out after birds and bunnies this fall.

Doug K

Top Bottom