• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Just curious what you guys think. Who makes the most accurate 17 hmr? I'm thinking about gettting one to kill ground hogs and coons in the back yard. My 10/22 just doesn't quite hit hard enough, and I don't care to wake the neighbors with my AR, so the 17 seems about right. I'm thinking about the heavy barreled marlin. I figure the CZ is probably better, but it's a lot more $$. I read up on Varmint Al's web page, and was surprised that his bullberry barrel didn't do a lot better than it did accuracy wise. I had originally thought about getting a barrel chambered for my contender. Oh well.

Thanks,
    Mark

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    well personally i like the savage .....the accu trigger really is a nice feature . they make them with a plain syn stock or you can get the thumbhole stock version ...both have heavy barrel options ....i have the 93r17 with a syn stock and heavy barrel with a bushnell 4-12x scope . it does well , as well as i can shoot at least lol

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    i am sure some won't agree with me but i will say it anyways. I personally don't think the .17 HMR has enough killing power to be used on groundhogs. Yes it will kill them if you hit them just right, however they just don't have the energy to make a clean kill consistantly. If you want to stick with a rimfire i would recommend the 22 magnum for groundhogs. Whichever caliber you choose you can't go wrong with a Savage or a CZ. If you have a little extra coin to spend i would recommend a Browning T-Bolt. I have a couple of them and they are very accurate rifles. Just my :twocents:

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    i am sure some won't agree with me but i will say it anyways. I personally don't think the .17 HMR has enough killing power to be used on groundhogs. Yes it will kill them if you hit them just right, however they just don't have the energy to make a clean kill consistantly. If you want to stick with a rimfire i would recommend the 22 magnum for groundhogs. Whichever caliber you choose you can't go wrong with a Savage or a CZ. If you have a little extra coin to spend i would recommend a Browning T-Bolt. I have a couple of them and they are very accurate rifles. Just my :twocents:

I understand your comment, and I don't disagree. But since I'm doing it the back yard, my AR is not an option. Nor are any of my other center fire rifles. I've thought about the mag, but the only reason that I'm not happy with my 22 lr is the trajectory. I've killed 6 or 8 ground hogs and a dozen or so coons over the past few years. Mostly head shots at ranges of 40 to 100 yards. Most of them won't come near the house now, so the shots are getting closer and closer to 100 yards. The mag would be a good option, but I'd like something that won't over penetrate should I get a body hit, or worse yet a miss. The lay of the land is such that the bullet will always hit the ground if I miss, and I don't want it coming back up and tearing up the neighbors barn. Plus, I've heard from a number of shooters that the 17 seems to be a lot more accurate and a lot more fun to shoot.

I read the reviews of various rifles from time to time, but I never trust most of them. When most people get 1.09" at 100 yards, I seem to get closer to 1/2". So I never know if the shooter is worth a darn or not. Seems like the Marlin typically shoots a little better than the Savage. I do like the acutrigger, but if i want I can stick a Basix in either one, or I do some of my own work.

Anyway, I'd still love to hear more opinions. Especially from anyone who's shot both the Savage and the Marlin.

Thanks again,
    Mark

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    my vote is for Savage

I have shot only the Savage heavy barreled bolt rifle and with excellent results. I achieved one ragged hole accuracy at 100 yards. Dry firing a Marlin will show that the Savage's trigger is superior and I have made that comparison.

Good luck in your pursuit,

Terry

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Good to hear that Savage makes another good shooter. I have one of their pre-acutrigger muzzle loaders. Love it! For the price, I've noticed that they make a pretty accurate rifle with a pretty good trigger. I just haven't read many reviews for any rifle where they are getting one hole groups, and that's disappointing. I really wish that they would evaluate the rifles off of a randsom rest or something similar so that we could take the nut behind the wheel out of the equation. Anyway, good to hear that the Savage is a shooter.

That CZ looks like a pretty sweet setup. Wish I had the cash. I already have a couple of decent scopes around for what ever I buy. I've always wanted to try a CZ, or better yet, save up my nickles and dimes an get a Kimber :)

Top Bottom