• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    so long as that gunsmith can mill the upper, drill the bolt carrier, tap teh bolt carrier and build a charging handle that looks meter than an M8 1" long bolt.

Side charging AR's are not magic, but it does require a good machinist on one end and someone willing to pay the price on the other.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Find a bored machinist and explain to him what ya want done. Or if this is being done for reliability get your self the BCM gunfighter charging handle and dont worry about it.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    I am also guilty of looking at ways to make a side charging handle for my AR. The feel like it will be way more comfortable to do in prone....

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    More comfortable to shoot prone

More comfortable to shoot with a scope

More comfortable to shoot a .308 AR

More comfortable to shoot suppressed

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    More comfortable to shoot prone

More comfortable to shoot with a scope

More comfortable to shoot a .308 AR

More comfortable to shoot suppressed

Charging handle or side charge, they all shootthe same. This mod doesnt make a diffrence.

Is everyone stuck on the reload? I shoot the gun til the bolt locks rearward....... I use the charging handle maybe twice at the range!

And please explain how the side charge does anything for shooting suppresed.

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I have a 3 position gas block my 300 whisper, I can turn the gas off to make it hollywood quiet. Then I have to jack the charging hadle to operate the rifle. Kinda like a straight pull bolt action, I have thought many times about making it a side charger.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a 3 position gas block my 300 whisper, I can turn the gas off to make it hollywood quiet. Then I have to jack the charging hadle to operate the rifle. Kinda like a straight pull bolt action, I have thought many times about making it a side charger.

That I can see, but now your talking a very speacialized system that is having this done for reasons other than conveniance. I just dont want anyone walking away thinking this type of mod does anything other than add a conveniace over some type of functional advantage.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've never played with a side charger but I would assume that you could all but eliminate the gas/carbon/lube etc that normally blows back into your face when running a canned AR.

Best,

Joe

Negative.

The side charging handle does nothing for this. The gas tube and carrier key all act the same in a side charger so you will still have the same carbon build up and gas blow back as a traditionaly charged Gas Operated AR

What about malfunction drills?

LOL.... My go to gun is a DSA OSW 58! I dropped teh AR platform years ago. I toy with the Ar10 now and then to keep sharp but otherwise I personaly don't devote very much time to it ( the AR as a whole).

Top Bottom