• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I am thinking (always dangerous) of buying a Hi-Point 9mm carbine for a bug out gun.

I have been looking at them and I kinda like them. Buds has them for $230 no tax no shipping charge. The Army Surplus in Bedford would only charge me $20 for the FFL Transfer.

Cabela's has them on for $249.99 plus tax but I try and not go there unless I have any other choice. Popguns had them for $279, Cosner's $269, Triple G had them for $250

There are a whole list of them on Guns America for anywhere from $200 TO $300 for used ones with out the rail.

So I am really thinking Buds unless one of the INGO Adverstisers are selling them for around Buds price.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I got one new when they FIRST came out. I did not care for it (FTF, FTE jam-o-matic), traded it off. I'm not sure if they have improved them over the years, but what I have seen on INGO is that folks who own them regard them fairly highly. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I got a 995TS for a reasonable price (Thanks kalboy!) Had great iron sights, but I had to add a cheap red dot.... works like a champ. Never a malfunction

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    My buddy has one that he enjoys and has never had a problem with it. I've shot it a fair bit too and it easily gets the job done at 50 yards. Not too expensive, you don't have to baby its finish, eats any readily accessible 9mm ammo.

The downsides: ugly, and 10-round mags.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have the 995ts...I bought it at Cabela's when they were on sale for $224.95
    Never had a problem...eats anything.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have had mine for a couple of years now, haven't had any problems with it. Put mine in an ATI stock and mounted a Leapers red dot on it, alot of fun to shoot. Makes a great centerfire plinker.

100_5069.jpg

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Spend a little more and get a sub 2000. Takes glock mags so 33 rounders are perfect. Plus folds in half for the bug out bag.

:+1: I have a sub2000 and love it!!! :rockwoot: I carry a Glock so that was a huge reason I went with the sub2k so I can share mags, but it is a great gun. It is very fun to shoot and very accurate.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The Keltec has some pretty severe recoil for caliber, less than fun cheekweld and the existing sights are hard to work with (adjust). Couple with that, I have seen far more unreliable Keltec carbines than Hi Point carbines (having seen about same amounts at the range).

The HiPoint has better ergonomics than the Keltec and about same accuracy (though to be honest, I think the Hi Point is a touch more accurate due to better ergonomics and trigger). The HUGE plus to the Hi Point is the ability to put an optic on it without losing zero (the Keltec can get a good mount, but limits the folding feature, which is overblown in my mind).

If Hi Point wants to impress me, take over where Keltec won't, make a carbine that takes XD mags :) I have been really really really considering the Hi Point after seeing their success at our range. Their pistols leave MUCH to be desired, but the carbines are all top notch for the price. :twocents:

Gotta love the tish-whoosh sound 9mm or .40 makes in a carbine length barrel, as opposed to the flat dry bang of a pistol. :)

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I've got two and have owned a couple more. Never a problem with any of them. Not ammo picky at all, and the new Pro-Mag 15 rd mag ( model HIP-A3) works great. Hi Point has been telling callers to their accy's store that a factory 15 rd mag is to be out " yet this year". I also have a KT S2K Glock 17 type) and although the hi cap mag capability of the Subby is nice I prefer the HP far and away. The Kel Tec is not +P rated and is reliable only with select ammo, ( read FMJ) . The KT has no bolt hold back upon running empty. The charging handle( under the buttstock tube) on the Subby is much harder for my wife and daughter to cock The HP is $199.99 new at Whittaker's and a Subby goes for $289.99. The Subby is not as flimsy as they seem but I wouldn't want to bump the sights on anything. Some folks on KTOG replace their S2K sights with HP 995 sights. Front sight that is. The HP has fairly precise and easily adjustable sights. Subby's are adjustable ( all adjustments are on the front) but not difficult to break while doing so. The Subby is more compact and if mag capacity is everything then it wins hands down.

PS Thanks for the kind words Armed Programmer...

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I had one once upon a time and they are really neat for what they are, I just didnt care for the sight picture on mine, and when I got it I was left with the "What in the hell am I gonna do with this thing?" qestion that I find myself asking over and over again. Kindal like the Ruger .44 mag I just bought ?? But back to topic. They are really fun, and not too expensive so I say go for it. Hi points are very cheap fun for what they are.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I bought a used original style 995 from TSG. Most fun I've ever had with anything in 9mm!

I would suggest looking at our classifieds. I believe "ATF Consumer" has one on there right now for a good price. If you prefer the new TS stock, you can order them from Beeline for only $40 and that includes shipping. So if you find a good used one with a few accessories on it for a good price, you can add the new stock and still come out ahead. This is what I did and I'm VERY pleased with what I have considering how little was invested.

I also have one of the 15 round promags. It does jam occasionally when using this mag but never with the factory 10 round mag. I've read that the promags can be tweaked for better reliability but haven't tried it myself yet.

One note about the new TS stock. It makes take down and cleaning MUCH easier. The old stock had to be completely split in half to break down the gun. The new one only requires removing two bolts and one "slide-off" section of the front stock.

The debate regarding the quality of the handguns notwithstanding, there is something to be said for having a handgun and a carbine that use the same mags and ammo. Plus if you shop a little, you can put both in a BO bag for less than $400.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    Again though he said for a bug out bag. So in that since the kel tec wins hands shown. If your wanting something with a score your better off going with about any gun with a rifle caliber. For a compact shtf gun I'm grabbing my sub 2000 and su 16. Just need a glock to complete the trio. Oh and I remember bradis advertising subs a couple of days ago or maybe chubbs told me he got one from there

Top Bottom