• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    MEGA MA-TEN .308 receivers....anyone have any experience with these?
    It seems as if these are a really nice set for a build project, I'm thinking about dropping the coin on a set.

What say you? :ingo:

896_1_.jpg

The MA-TEN will be sold only in sets (upper and lower) including a charging handle, threaded bolt catch pin, take down pins, tensioning screw, and door. This was done to guarantee the best possible upper to lower fit and finish. Using the MA-TEN platform also allows you the most options on your next build.

MA-TEN Features:

• The MA-TEN upper and lower receivers accept the widest variety of .308 components on the market.

• Included in this new platform: upper receiver, lower receiver, billet charging handle, threaded bolt catch pin, take down pins, dust cover door & upper receiver tensioning screw.

• Our billet upper & lower have been designed to be the most versatile and compatible platform available. A truly unique look and flawless function is what you should expect.

• We know you will rely on your new weapon like a tool, and that’s what you will get when using the MA-TEN. Strong & lightweight, you can build your next rifle with the best of both worlds.

• Machined from billet 7075-T6 aluminum for increased strength.

• Comes standard with laser engraved “T” numbers.

• Priced lower then most competitor’s forged sets.

• Integrated trigger guard for added functionality, and strength.

• Billet charging handle features an anti-slip surface for improved grip.

• Black Hard anodized with a surface hardness of 60 Rockwell.

• 28.8 oz. (with all included hardware)

• Part# M308-0903

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Mega makes some great products.

However I'm holding back on a 308 sized AR platform gun.

STRONG RUMORS from the industry insiders that I trust suggest that COLT is coming out with a 308 gun SOON. But the more interesting thing is that the 308 gun will have a special adapter that will allow 5.56 upper to be used on the 308 lower.

My money is sitting on the sidelines for right now. I want to see what COLT rolls out before I decide yeah or ney on a 308 AR platform gun.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Mega makes a great upper and lower. i built my personnal rifless from Mega and have had no complaints.
    If you had to build this would be a great MFG to use, though you may wantto consider that with teh black rifle market flat right now you may be able to purchase a factory built .308 AR for less than a build. Just something to consider.

And while I have not heard of Colt coming out with a .308 I would have to question what their offering would bring to the table over the many other AR based .308's out there other than a bigger price tag due to teh name of teh reciever. Colt has done a great job in the last 5 years of just dragging their feet and letting others come to the table 1st with ideas. they don't seem to forget though how to bring a crazy price tag to the sales floor though.

get while the gettings good and teh prices are low, cause if your waiting on a colt your waiting to pay top dollar for a rifle that doesnt offer anything more than whats out there now.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    And while I have not heard of Colt coming out with a .308 I would have to question what their offering would bring to the table over the many other AR based .308's out there other than a bigger price tag due to teh name of teh reciever. Colt has done a great job in the last 5 years of just dragging their feet and letting others come to the table 1st with ideas. they don't seem to forget though how to bring a crazy price tag to the sales floor though.
    Wow, summed up my thoughts exactly. Why wait for a COLT?

You can have top quality right now for an affordable price, or have top quality later for an outrageous price. Why?

Get it now and go with it.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    arent those what kimball uses?

Great, is that what I am known for now? :laugh:

These receiver sets just hit the market in the past month. If you wanted one, you should have bought in October as Mega was doing introductory pricing. Let's just say they could be had for about $480....:cool:

I have ZERO regrets with my MEGA billet builds. So few that there is another AR15 receiver set sitting at a FFL with my name on it....couldn't pass up a $289 set sale.:rockwoot:

Interested in this COLT setup though...

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Mega makes some great products.

However I'm holding back on a 308 sized AR platform gun.

STRONG RUMORS from the industry insiders that I trust suggest that COLT is coming out with a 308 gun SOON. But the more interesting thing is that the 308 gun will have a special adapter that will allow 5.56 upper to be used on the 308 lower.

My money is sitting on the sidelines for right now. I want to see what COLT rolls out before I decide yeah or ney on a 308 AR platform gun.
    thread subscribed too! Awaiting further instruction. :patriot:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Just start uzing your google-fu, the articles are out there:

Tactical-Life.com Sneak Peek: Colt Modular Carbine SP901 in .308 Winchester

DR Exclusive First Look!: SCAR Who? Meet the Colt Modular Carbine (CMC) Model CM901 Multi-Caliber 7.62mm NATO Battle Rifle / 5.56mm NATO Assault Rifle for U.S. Military Special Operations Forces (SOF) and General Infantry Forces (GIF). DefenseReview

Again, I have to ask what is this platfrm going to bringto the table that isnt already herer or at minimum has not been an idea from at least 5 years ago?
    The system in 308 is still gas operated, it employes everything that is already out there NOW. Yet we put the name Colt on it and teh gates of heaven have open up.

With the exception of maybe bringing the "modular" lower to market, thsi is another .308 AR.

And on the premis of modular........

For whatthe lower module will cost and the uper for a change will run I can almost bet you could buy another weapon. I am the furtherst thing from a Colt hater, but I do have to be objective of the cost vs. value idea.
    Thisis going to cost alot and not be much more valuable (usable) than whats out there now.
    And teh entire modular, can used from this to that idea is a great marketing tool in teh civilian market. Even in combat I don't believe the "average" soldier will be issued a weapon of this type as a low percentage of soldiers need an "adaptive" system.

If your looking for a good .308 theres no time better than the current.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    But the more interesting thing is that the 308 gun will have a special adapter that will allow 5.56 upper to be used on the 308 lower.

If you look at the pictures you can see that the magwell itself is interchangeable itself. You swap outthe magwell not use an adapter of any kind. The word adapter implies that you will somehow still need the original to function, not the case.

Also, as you can see this isnt new and has been sold b4:

MGI Hydra QCB Modular/Multi-Caliber AR Weapons System for SPECOPS

Look at th eproces on these magwells for the MGI system... Almost double of what a lower itself cost:

Interchangable Magazine Wells : MGI Military, MGI Military

Lower Receiver with Interchangable Mag Well - $650.00 : MGI Military, MGI Military

Another article describing the Bushmaster varient vs the Colt:

Modular Rifles: A Tale of Two Patents | The Firearm Blog

It's funny how COBB mfg was working on this idea of modular for years and then all of a sudden bushmaster buys them out!!

Heres an example of a COBB that made it to market:
    Cobb MCR 200 .308 Multi-Caliber Rifle : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Cobb MCR Multi Caliber Rifle

Rifles For Sale - Cobb Manufacturing AR-15 AR15 Cobb Manufacturing MCR-100 S.C.A.R. gun - Auction: 6891050 (Ends 12/03/2010, 05:00:54 PST)

I know I'm beating a dead horse but I just don't want anyone thinking Colt is doinf something special or radical.

This is like your Ex-Girlfriend coming back to you this time dressing like your current girlfriend. Sorry baby, that ideas been used already and I can tell off the bat your going to cost me more than what I already got and not be able to give me anymore than I'm already getting.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Its my understanding that the Colt system may be a totally new system, not like the COBB based systems where the entire mag well is replaced, but rather with some sort of adapter. Something like a quick insert mag well block?

In fact take a look at some of the links, its pretty obvious its NOT like the COBB modular system.

I'm not advocating that its better or best, just saying that before I go AR10 I want to see what Colt offers, it may be more hype than anything else. But if its a good system AND it allows for AR15 uppers to be utilized then it might make for a great system for hunters who want to take multiple calibers to a hunt and switch off fairly easily while only needing 1 lower.

Top Bottom