• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My 1 year old SR556 rifle had very severe buffer tube wear after 1500 rounds. Sent it to Ruger on 12/17, received it back yesterday (I guess they don't take much time off during the holidays). They replaced: upper receiver, buffer tube & retainer, bolt carrier group, safety & detent, repaired: chamber & feed ramps. All at NO CHARGE! I am extremely impressed with the speed and thoroughness of their customer service. Planning to range test today. Thank you Ruger!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Whoa...

That's a lot of stuff to replace on a brand new gun!

Let's hope that this Ruger product isn't going to undergo a recall like a few other recent introductions... Especially for the price paid for 'em!

-J-

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My 1 year old SR556 rifle had very severe buffer tube wear after 1500 rounds. Sent it to Ruger on 12/17, received it back yesterday (I guess they don't take much time off during the holidays). They replaced: upper receiver, buffer tube & retainer, bolt carrier group, safety & detent, repaired: chamber & feed ramps. All at NO CHARGE! I am extremely impressed with the speed and thoroughness of their customer service. Planning to range test today. Thank you Ruger!

Just think, you got what you paid for!! Its so nice to see an American business that follows through with great service. Congrats. Its one of the reasons I am such a Ruger fan.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Whoa...

That's a lot of stuff to replace on a brand new gun!

Let's hope that this Ruger product isn't going to undergo a recall like a few other recent introductions... Especially for the price paid for 'em!

-J-

Yeah cause Colt, KelTec, Smith and Wesson, Remington, Winchester, and Savage have NEVER had ANY recalls right?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yeah cause Colt, KelTec, Smith and Wesson, Remington, Winchester, and Savage have NEVER had ANY recalls right?

He never made that assertion. That said, none of those companies have had a track record with their new offerings like Ruger's, wherein 2 out of 3 underwent recalls for serious safety issues within the first year. To their credit, Ruger has addressed the issues in an admirable fashion and those affected designs (SR9 and LCP) have sold well and continued to mature, but their problems right out of the gate have become fodder for jokes among fans and detractors alike.

:twocents:

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Fired 120 flawless rounds the other day, including a 30 fast dump. Zero problems. I do notice a small amount of buffer tube wear at the 5 & 7 o'clock positions, (same areas where I had extreme BT wear before the repairs). Ruger says this will settle-down...I'll keep a close watch (photo documented) and see how it goes.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    mandolin3, before you put anymore rounds through that Ruger. Take a look at this option. I got one for my AR after getting the PWS system (a debate for another day/thread). It works as advertised. More discussion and pics here.

Something to consider, if the rear of your new BCG from Ruger has the "fattened" end similar to the LWRC BCG, you might be good to go without the modified buffer.

Last edited:

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Just a question, did you lube the buffer assembly or did it come lubed? In the USMC we used Breakfree CLP and it worked fine. On moving parts there is always some wear at contact points, but this is normal and I would expect to see some minor finish level wear. I was wondering what was wearing so much that it had to be replaced, possibly a serious misalignment between the upper and lower receiver putting things in a bind? Just curious.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    WILD DUECE: Thanks for the info. I have looked into the FRS product and am giving it consideration. Right now I'm leaning toward giving Ruger a limited second chance (run the repaired rifle for a while) and document any corresponding wear with detailed photos.
    DWIGHT D: I do lube the buffer and BCG with gun grease. I understand that gas piston style rifles have a greater tendency toward carrier tilt, as the gas piston push rod is smacking the key at the top of the BCG.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I have a piston gun but it is a Robinson Arms and with a folding stock, hence not the same buffer set up like a regular AR. Basically just a recoil spring set up.
    Interesting info on your gun, learn something new everyday, thanks for the insight.
    BTW after shooting my piston gun I am not sure it is all it is cracked up to be. I find I can shoot faster then the gun can cycle. I cannot do this on a direct impingement gun. It is not a problem really, as I can't hit anything shooting at that speed anyway. I just do it on new guns to beat them up a little and find the bugs.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I don't know if you read through the entire thread or not but I did see this post.

It sounds like the FRS Buffer might be your solution. As a matter of fact, it sounds like Ruger should be calling FRS.

And the piston fans all says Ruger solved the carrier tilt problem.....mmmmmm.

I don't know about Ruger solving it but LWRC seems to have a handle on it ... as far as I know. At least mine hasn't had an issue.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    You know, if I had the money, I would replace my AR with one of those ultra reliable piston guns.

I could send it back to have half the gun replaced every few years, that would be awesome.

Oh wait....

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    You know, if I had the money, I would replace my AR with one of those ultra reliable piston guns.

I could send it back to have half the gun replaced every few years, that would be awesome.

Oh wait....

Why would you want to do that? What would you do with all your lubes, special brushes and excuses when you didnt have to spend so much time cleaning at the range?

Top Bottom