• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Finally got the 5.45 Saiga I've been looking for. These things were almost impossible to find for the past few months, until the new importer kicked into gear. When I heard the Bradis was ordering a couple, I immediately went over and put my deposit down.

Of course, I was so excited when it came in that I didn't actually look mine over real well. My only concern was that it had mag-well dimples and a flat bullet trunion (already had the flat bullet guide). I didn't even notice that legion had stamped out the old RAA importer mark in the most god-awful ugly way until I got home and took it out the box. I was pretty aggravated by that for a long while, until I just said "screw it, I'm going to fix this". If anyone is considering getting a Saiga in the near future... I strongly urge you to pay attention and look for a model without this monstrosity. It will make your conversion a lot easier if you stay clear of those Saigas.

Day I brought it home.
    545one.png

Ugly importer hash mark cover up.
    545two.png

Disassembled
    545three.png

Mark ground down.. OH! So that's what Legion is hiding under there!
    545four.png

Sand - prime - repeat until I got this...
    545five.png

Entire receiver masked off and primed...
    545six.png

Paint...
    545seven.png

Bake...
    545eight.png

Done... now it looks like it should!
    545nine.png

Romanian folder before...
    545ten.png

Folder after, OD paracord wrapped.
    545eleven.png

Bullet guide installed... Didn't break any taps this time! :)
    545twelve.png

Another shot of mark removal.
    545thirteen.png

DONE!
    545fourteen.png

I'm digging the OD Green setup.
    545fifteen.png

Well that's all folks. Hope you guys like it. I've got a new AK74 thread FSB on the way from Dinzang and a K-Var US made break... but that is another project for another day.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    :wow:

VERY nice work! :yesway:

Thanks. BTW, I can't remember who rang me up on this one, but he asked to see pictures of the finished project. :dunno:

Nice!

whats up with the bullet guide? My 5.45 bullet guide was flat across the back end.

No idea, I got it from CSS. I had to modify it pretty extensively to get it work correctly. It was too thick on the bottom, kept the mag from locking in. Also had to round off the corners because they were catching on the casing lips of the rounds... I dunno if I got a bum guide, or if the 5.45 Saiga changed slightly from last productions.. either way, it feeds great now.

2367332_thumb.jpg

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If dinzag didn't take weeks just send out parts, I'd order more stuff from.

I placed my order for a FSB from dinzag 2 weeks ago.. and still haven't been sent a shipping notification. I know this is their normal operating standards (stated on their site and on forums) and always deliver eventually, but I hate waiting.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    could have bought a bulgarian ak74 fsb off a handfull of people on theakforum.net and had it in a few days ;) probably exactly what dinzag is selling as well.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll have to check them out... I've only browsed this site for classifieds just because I prefer local FTF when it comes to transactions with individuals.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Looks great. Glad you didn't have trouble with the tap this time. I like the Galil handgaurd. Now you need an S12 to finish off the set.

Make sure to clean her up good after using that surplus ammo. I swear by windex for that corrosive stuff.

Let me know when to free to sling some lead through your new stick!

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pretty sure a Galil hand guard looks like this:

ak47gun.gif

;)

Not exactly what I got on there.

Still undecided on whether or not I want an S12. Need to borrow yours for a while to make a decision. lol

I'll have all the time in the world to blast away starting May. Until then, I'm busy as heck.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ugh. Your gun looks 1000x better than one of those IO abortions. And you do want an S12...everyone does

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Pretty sure a Galil hand guard looks like this:

ak47gun.gif

;)

Not exactly what I got on there.

Still undecided on whether or not I want an S12. Need to borrow yours for a while to make a decision. lol

I'll have all the time in the world to blast away starting May. Until then, I'm busy as heck.

Correct. Was looking at it on my phone = Little bitty picture.
    Your welcome to the S12. I guarantee you'll want one once you shoot it again.

Also, I have a couple of AK sight tools, so remind me to let you borrow one next time your in the area.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom