• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Good pics, Josh. On your unknown pressure point, check and see if your recoil lug is bottoming in its mortise. I had one that bottomed out and once corrected that rifle shot much better.

Also, have you tried any shims behind your recoil lug? I've found that alone to work wonders as it prevents any rearward movement of the action in relation to the stock during recoil. I'd only use metal (drink cans are what I use) stock there to prevent any compression.

Last edited:

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a Mosin that POA = POI in the stock that it came with. I refinished a different Mosin stock (I wanted to keep the #'s matching stock original) and now it shoots 4" to the right at 50 yds even after I drifted the sight all the way to the left. It still groups tightly, and goes together w/o obvious pressure on the barrel. I guess I need to get a dowel (or socket?) and float it... or could it be something else? That a piece of wood can move my POI 4" at 50 yds seems like a lot. :dunno:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I have a Mosin that POA = POI in the stock that it came with. I refinished a different Mosin stock (I wanted to keep the #'s matching stock original) and now it shoots 4" to the right at 50 yds even after I drifted the sight all the way to the left. It still groups tightly, and goes together w/o obvious pressure on the barrel. I guess I need to get a dowel (or socket?) and float it... or could it be something else? That a piece of wood can move my POI 4" at 50 yds seems like a lot. :dunno:

Hello,

Is this a typo?

On the rear sight, you move it the way you want the point of impact to move.

On the front sight, you need to drift the sight the opposite way of where you want it it to hit.

If it's shooting to the right, you will want to drift the front sight to the right.

Does this help?

Josh

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A different stock can do all kinds of things. Even small little things like shims in an old stock can also. And Josh is right, you move the front sight the opposite of where you want your POI to move.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Hello,

Is this a typo?

On the rear sight, you move it the way you want the point of impact to move.

On the front sight, you need to drift the sight the opposite way of where you want it it to hit.

If it's shooting to the right, you will want to drift the front sight to the right.

Does this help?

Josh

yep, typo.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Sounds like you do have a mystery pressure point.

Float the barrel by using cork underneath the two mounting points. Try shooting it after that. If it's good, try shooting it more, quickly. If the groups start circling as the barrel heats, bed it as outlined, paying special attention to eliminate pressure points.

Josh

Top Bottom