• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If an AK was a watch it would be a Timex, Just always with the wrong time.

No you can keep the AK.
    I have had to carry one with my life depending on it twice. Never again.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

No you can keep the AK.
    I have had to carry one with my life depending on it twice. Never again.
    I can not help but ask where you had to carry an ak that your life was depending on it? And why you think it failed you in some way?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't believe for a second that the goober in that first video has anything to do with Blackwater...
    Me either lol. Looks like he may have trouble figuring out how to put his pants on.But as for an AK firing when you put dirt in it...I have done it with 0 malfunctions.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county

Yes you guys can have the AKs, I've had 3 of them over the years and will not try one again. There is no doubt that that they were a blast to shoot back when the ammo was so cheap. But they were not any more accurate back then than they are now. I just didn't care, I was just slinging lead. There are so many other weapons out there that are so much more accurate and still reliable. I would rather have 2 SKSs or 5 Mosins for the price of an AK. AR15 in your caliber of choice, it doesn't have to be 5.56 if you are one of those that thinks it won't kill what you want to kill:dunno:. M1, M1A, SKS, XCR, Sig 556, M1 carbine, AR15 are all better weapons than the AK for "MY needs and thinking".
    I guess if guys like me don't go buy up the AK and ammo it will leave more for you spray and pray guys to have.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes you guys can have the AKs, I've had 3 of them over the years and will not try one again. There is no doubt that that they were a blast to shoot back when the ammo was so cheap. But they were not any more accurate back then than they are now. I just didn't care, I was just slinging lead. There are so many other weapons out there that are so much more accurate and still reliable. I would rather have 2 SKSs or 5 Mosins for the price of an AK. AR15 in your caliber of choice, it doesn't have to be 5.56 if you are one of those that thinks it won't kill what you want to kill:dunno:. M1, M1A, SKS, XCR, Sig 556, M1 carbine, AR15 are all better weapons than the AK for "MY needs and thinking".
    I guess if guys like me don't go buy up the AK and ammo it will leave more for you spray and pray guys to have.
    I am defiantly not a spray and pray guy:rolleyes: My favorite rifle is my 700 by quite a bit. I do however own a few aks,sks,ars,m1,and have owned various carbine/assault style weapons. And from that list I would count on my ak over any other. Any arsenal ak with a proper shooter should hold a 2 inch patern all day long at 100 yards,the maddi and mac 90 are also close to that...a rommanian well 4-5 inch is acceptable.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Duping techres here! ;)

The ar test leaves one thing out: reliability over time uncleaned. And that is where the AK excels. Sure, an AR can pound out 2000 rounds in a sitting no problem, but when it sits uncleaned for a bit will the BCG be stuck? Or will the gas tube be clogged just enough to keep it single shot?

I once forgot to clean an AR after an Appleseed event. When I got back to the range I had to break the BCG free with a tool and then it was only single shot. One good, good cleaning later and we were good to go. Now was it my fault? Absolutely! At the same time when katrina waters take my cleaning tools or the zombies cause a rapid departure... You get my point.

I love my AK's. They are not a rifleman tool without alot of work and effort. But at the same time, I know they will go bang each and every time without fail.

Do I own both? Yes. Do I like my AR's? Yes, they are accurate tools. Do I love my AK's? Yes, they are blacker than black and reliable as acne.

As for a rifleman's tool, the M1A is going to be my choice, as soon as I can get one for under $2500!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I can not help but ask where you had to carry an ak that your life was depending on it? And why you think it failed you in some way?

Once in the former country of Yugoslavia, Once though parts of Africa. Reliability was not the issue being able to hit what was wanted more than once was. Accuracy was less than acceptable. Give me my M-4 anyday, just as reliable plus a lot more accurate. Hell give me Mosin over an AK.
    :twocents: :D

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    I can't see not having an AK. I have never had a problem with my Milled MAK90 you can feed them any kind of ammo their not picky like some rifles, the sks feels wierd compared to the AK. I had a M44 Nagent and it was a POS got tired of fighting to get the empty casing out of it after about the third shot. I will stay with my AK or FN FAL. :ar15:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What I like about that video is how fast he empties the 30 rounders as well as that 100 round Beta C-mag. I find it amazing that on TV or in the movies how long they can fire an M16 without ever running out of ammo.

As for weapon of choice if the spam ever really got hot, Remington is stamped on it. I believe in reach out and touch someone, along with that one shot, one something or other. My backup is a good old STG-58.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The ar test leaves one thing out: reliability over time uncleaned. And that is where the AK excels. Sure, an AR can pound out 2000 rounds in a sitting no problem, but when it sits uncleaned for a bit will the BCG be stuck? Or will the gas tube be clogged just enough to keep it single shot?

I once forgot to clean an AR after an Appleseed event. When I got back to the range I had to break the BCG free with a tool and then it was only single shot. One good, good cleaning later and we were good to go

Interesting, considering I almost never clean my ARs. I make sure they're lubed well, and that's about it. I've never seen a BCG stuck or a gas tube clogged, period, yet alone from just sitting w/o a cleaning. I've got a carbine that's had [ballparking] 8-10k through it. I think I've actually cleaned it 4-5 times. It 'sorta' got cleaned recently as I did some PM on it (new extractor spring, new rings), so whatever gunk got all over my hands while doing that was 'cleaned' i guess....

It's the gun I keep handy should I need to grab a rifle....

I shot an appleseed I think 3 yrs ago w/ a 20" AR.... I don't recall that particular gun being shot since. I bet it's still dirty from the seed shoot. I'll pull it out of the safe tonight and see what kind of condition it's in... heck, next time I go to the range I'll take it with me and we'll see how it does (I won't even add any lube, just for fun).

-rvb

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    RVB,

I did track down part of the issue with that AR incident. It was that the PMC ammo I had at the time was right at the borderline of "light" on powder. When it matched up with a really dirty rifle, it would short stroke the rifle and not operate correctly. When clean the PMC would run fine - even quite accurately. With Federal the rifle would run dirty as heck with no issue of short stroking.

I never did find out what the issue was with the locked bolt though. The rifle was shot pretty dry and if I had put CLP on it and left it for a few hours it might have been fine, but I was not in a patient mood that day.

Today I run hotter ammo and keep it up with CLP. Clean? Not after each shoot, but now and then.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    RVB,

I did track down part of the issue with that AR incident. It was that the PMC ammo I had at the time was right at the borderline of "light" on powder. When it matched up with a really dirty rifle, it would short stroke the rifle and not operate correctly. When clean the PMC would run fine - even quite accurately. With Federal the rifle would run dirty as heck with no issue of short stroking.

I never did find out what the issue was with the locked bolt though. The rifle was shot pretty dry and if I had put CLP on it and left it for a few hours it might have been fine, but I was not in a patient mood that day.

Today I run hotter ammo and keep it up with CLP. Clean? Not after each shoot, but now and then.

Yep dirty or not, a little CLP in the right places goes a long way for the DI AR-15 line of rifles. I've yet to "over lubricate" an AR-15 so far either. Even a BCG drenched in CLP and carbon has never caused me problems. Extra burning smoke produced but thats it.

Top Bottom