• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Yeah, I know LGS can order anything new for me. That's great and all, but I'm kind of on a budget. What is my best bet to find a good used lever action rifle? Gander Mtn. doesn't usually have a lot of used guns, I'm thinking Cabelas up in Hammond possibly? I would like to be able to look at a few before I consider buying one.

BTW, I'm in Indianapolis, if that helps.

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Hacksaw have you ever been to Whitakers near Owensboro,Ky? They usually have quite a few. Also make a pawn shop run. Check swap shops outside the city.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    If you buy a Marlin try to get one made before 2007. After that they are still a little iffy since Remington took them over and fired all the old employees. Before 2007, they are a great rifle and I highly recommend them!

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    What type lever gun? I'm a Marlin lover, and I agree, I won't touch a Marlin made after mid 2000's, as said above for obvious reasons. Its why I like Windham over Bushmaster too.

As to where to find, look at pawn shops, and smaller gun shops. I know the places around here have some. That and GUN SHOWS.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I was going to say Gun Shows but XD beat me to it, you could also try looking into some of the auction houses in your area.
    Some of the estate sales have some really nice guns & can be gotten at reasonable prices if you know what to look for.

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    Yeah, I know LGS can order anything new for me. That's great and all, but I'm kind of on a budget. What is my best bet to find a good used lever action rifle? Gander Mtn. doesn't usually have a lot of used guns, I'm thinking Cabelas up in Hammond possibly? I would like to be able to look at a few before I consider buying one.

BTW, I'm in Indianapolis, if that helps.

What caliber? Hammond Cabelas usually has a pretty good selection of used guns and quite a few .30-.30's, a .44 here and there and .22's but I've never seen a used .357 (or I'dv bought it). They had (3) new Marlin .357's recently and my heart was beating fast. Until I looked them over and they looked like crap. They have new Winchester .38-somthingXXX? what ever the heck those are?

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Post a WTB ad on INGO and ask that you get to see the gun first .... only a few hours drive to most any place in the state, in particular if the seller is meeting you half way.

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    i also say pawn shops , ive picked up some crazy deals (have to be educated) because i knew what they had and they did not

Are there particular Pawn Shops that tend to be better than others for finding nice guns, or should I just start making a habit of stopping in to them as I pass them?

I live up on the north side of Indy 86th and Michigan area, anyone know of any decent shops up here?

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    Pawn Shops are good places, depending on the type of pawn shop, they might turn over their guns pretty quick, plus its all depending on what will walk through that door on a given day and also when you walk in.!

I'd do a lot of research, know what guns you are interested in, understand pricing on them and don't be afraid to walk away on a purchase if the price is too much. Knowledge is power!

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Hacksaw have you ever been to Whitakers near Owensboro,Ky? They usually have quite a few. Also make a pawn shop run. Check swap shops outside the city.

+1 Whittakers is an excellent shop for new and used lever actions in all calibers and price ranges. It's a bit of a drive from Indy but if you refill your tank at the Moonlight BBQ it's worth the trip :D

Top Bottom