• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    So I'm wanting some back up sights for my AR.
    I was looking at the magpul m-bus but not sure about plastic(just bought a glock:rolleyes:)

Has any one used these?

Any other suggestions for under $150

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    The Magpul works just fine. Just make sure to not get the PTS version. They are airsoft/training versions. The regular stuff is just fine and relatively cheap. If you have 150 bucks to spend get some Troys

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The Magpul works just fine. Just make sure to not get the PTS version. They are airsoft/training versions. The regular stuff is just fine and relatively cheap. If you have 150 bucks to spend get some Troys
    ^This^ If they are back up sights the legit Magpuls are just fine for that role. I would get them and put more money into a nice scope/red dot.

On the other hand if I were going to primarily use iron sights then I would spend more money on them and get something like the Troys or DD or even Knight's Armament.

My personal setup is a Vortex Strike Fire red dot with a Magpul Gen 2 Mbus folding rear sight and an A2 FSB. They all co-witness nicely.

Nothing super expensive but it works for me.

Last edited:

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    If you want to go the Magpul route the rear is on sale at PSA right now if you use the code JULY4 during the checkout process. Knocks the price down to $39.99.

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I've got them on my AR and they work fine. Just don't put the front site on your gas block, you'll melt it under heavy fire.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I like my Matech. It has the elevation settings to 600m, similar to the carry handle drum, it folds down pretty flat, and it is cheap! The main reason I got it was the price, $30 new, and the fact that it is standard issue. I use my Aimpoint always though.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I've got them on my AR and they work fine. Just don't put the front site on your gas block, you'll melt it under heavy fire.

This is an important point, if you plan on mounting sights to the gas block. (And are able). Otherwise, rock the magpuls. If theyre just backups, I challenge anyone to break them, even under combat use if their regular sight is something hardassed like an eotech.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    I have the Gen 2 Magpul MBUS on my ar and its as good as my eyes are at 100 yards..but i wouldnt go more than that with them. They are back ups after all. If your looking for primary iron sights much better accuracy can be had from other sights

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Whenever I hear about "back up sights", in my mind I see sights on my rear view mirror for the rear mounted twin 50s. You know, for tailgaters.
    I know its an AR thing, and I'm an old fogey, but a weapon should always have "iron sights", standard.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    This is an important point, if you plan on mounting sights to the gas block. (And are able). Otherwise, rock the magpuls. If theyre just backups, I challenge anyone to break them, even under combat use if their regular sight is something hardassed like an eotech.

A standard picatinny front sight will not play nice with a railed gas block because the height of the gas block rail is not the same as the upper. There are sights specifically made for a railed gas block to compensate for the height difference.

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I am also looking at putting iron sights on mine. I currently have an Aimpoint T1 with Larue 1/3 co-witness mount. I have having a hard time deciding if I want folding or fixed. I am looking at Troy or DD. Are the folding just as strong as the fixed? If they are not, I would go with the fixed. I just would like the option of folding them down if I ever have the desire.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am also looking at putting iron sights on mine. I currently have an Aimpoint T1 with Larue 1/3 co-witness mount. I have having a hard time deciding if I want folding or fixed. I am looking at Troy or DD. Are the folding just as strong as the fixed? If they are not, I would go with the fixed. I just would like the option of folding them down if I ever have the desire.

The Troy folding sights have a very positive lock to them. I would not go so far as to say they are as strong as fixed, since they are designed to pivot, but also would say that they are strong enough to deal with normal use and abuse.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Drink more of the koolaid and get the Troy Larue's :pimp:

Iron Sights | LaRue Tactical

Top Bottom