• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2010
    I've heard nothing but praise for Arsenal's AKs. Why?

A buddy of mine loves Arsenal.

From what I've read, Arsenal imports AKs, refurbishes everything and removes the "lawyer" modifications needed for importing (they'll take a saiga or something and they'll give it back it's pistol grip and other parts removed for importing). Is that right?

I mean, sounds good, but they're not the only company doing this, are they? Props to them if they are, but I find it hard to believe only one company does this.

Or are they just the most affordable of all the companies that do this?

Do you have other companies you prefer to get your AKs from? If so, why?

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    An Arsenal SGL 21 AK starts off life as a saiga iz133. They then restore the rifle to the closest thing to a Russian Military rifle that you can buy with all NEW parts. Clay did an excellent write up on it.

The work involved just for the front end requires punching pins, new sight block, lower HG retainer, new gas tube, threaded barrel. To the rear you get a restored trigger group, accurate trigger guard, and the old trigger holes disappear. The whole thing gets recoated and sold to you.

You can do all of that yourself and it'll likely cost you more money. There are companies that will do the work for you but not on such a grand scale as Arsenal (Krebs, Rifle Dynamics, POHF, etc etc).

For a historically accurate rifle that's a great shooter you can't beat Arsenal. What doesn't make sense is when people buy arsenals then chop the tang, add rails, scopes, folding stocks and what not. If you wish to make a modern tactical rifle with legendary AK reliability, you'll save money by converting a saiga yourself and adding what you want. Otherwise you're essentially taking an Arsenal, and removing all the work they did, just to return it to a converted saiga.

I love my Arsenals, and I love my Saigas. My Arsenals will stay historically accurate, my Saigas will be ergonomically/tactically awesome.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Arsenal jibber

i chose Arsenal because of thier ties with Legion and izhmash
    "so" you might ask well.

The Izhmash Arms Factory, located in Izhevsk, is largest firearms producer in Russia, dating back to its founding in 1807
    "they" have been the music makers since day 1"
    Also Legion is the Custom factory that currently produces custom rifles for the Russian military,

Point you get a TRUE Russian 100 series Ak, without building one from a russian parts kit with an American made receiver..:@ya:

The SGL a product between LONG time distro
    Arsenal of las vegas/Bulgaria main
    and legendary Izhmash ""
    With thier efforts they were able to provide the U.S. with the most historically accurate ak Russia can offer.

A recently good article here by Tactical life
    Tactical Life Arsenal SGL20 7.62×39mm

I have always wanted a 100 series Russian ak, in plum BUT in x39;)
    When the Sgl came out I was on it!!:

After some furniture mods, etc I have exactly what Ive always wanted
    a Russian AK:ar15:

picture.php

picture.php

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Do they make a pistol version with 9 in barrel?

Here is a 106 pistol 10.5" barrel
    SLR-106U_pistol002i.jpg

If you want a Shorter AK pistol, get a mini draco. 7.5" barrel

Draco.jpg

Are the Arsenals being made today with the Saiga connections, etc the same as the early ones such as the SLR-95 ?

The SLR 95 is milled, Saigas are stamped. If you are asking if Arsenal sells milled guns and are they as good as an SLR95, then yes.

Top Bottom