• DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Couple of questions:

What last the longest?
    What is more accurate?
    How to tell if a barrel is chrome lined or chrome moly?

Any other input about what you prefer would be great. Thanks.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Chrome moly vanadium is what the barrel is made out of, chrome-lined means the bore is lined with chrome.

Most rifles have both at the same time because they are two different specs.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Chrome moly vanadium is what the barrel is made out of, chrome-lined means the bore is lined with chrome.

Most rifles have both at the same time because they are two different specs.

More like...Most barrels are chrome-moly, and some are then chrome lined inside.

Chrome moly is like saying "not chrome lined barrel" but without putting a negative word in there to raise red flags for buyers.

This is a decent enough read, if your google didn't turn anything up:
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=2678

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Chrome lined easier to clean, barrel wearout rate is longer, less accurate when compared to Chrome Moly. Costs on average $25-$40 more than the same length/style barrel in Chrome Moly.

Chrome Moly harder to clean when using dirty ammo, Barrel wearout rate is accelerated, more accurate compared to Chrome Moly.

When using the Ar15 as an example, Barrel changeout is easy and fast with the right tools. You would have to shoot 10,000 rounds plus to notice the life of the barrel is nearing its end.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    Chrome lined means that the bore and possibly the chamber of the barrel have been chrome plated

Chromemoly steel is a steel alloy that is strong and wear resistant.

The chrome lining will protect the bore from wear (before it eventually wears off the chrome and exposes the steel), corrosion and high temperatures (corrosive ammo and beau coup rounds down the pipe in a really short time)

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    The term Chrome Moly started to get thrown around by cheap AR manufacturers to confuse the customer into thinking it was chrome lined. When in all reality they were just too cheap to Chrome line/plate the chamber/barrel.

Many will try to justify non-lined barrels by saying they are more accurate when in reality the amount of accuracy gained is negligible all the while the benefits of chrome plating has been proven.

If your AR is for general purposes as most are you are better served with a properly chrome plated/lined bore/chamber.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    The term Chrome Moly started to get thrown around by cheap AR manufacturers to confuse the customer into thinking it was chrome lined. When in all reality they were just too cheap to Chrome line/plate the chamber/barrel.

Many will try to justify non-lined barrels by saying they are more accurate when in reality the amount of accuracy gained is negligible all the while the benefits of chrome plating has been proven.

If your AR is for general purposes as most are you are better served with a properly chrome plated/lined bore/chamber.

:yesway:

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    looks like for me, the best fit will be the chrome lined. I can get the barrel assembly from bushmaster that is 1:9 twist, chrome lined for about $235. Looks to be one of the better priced barrels ive looked at. The only thing is that they say it could take "several" months for me to get it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Chrome lining makes the barrel easier to clean and more resistant to corrosion.

Since lining a barrel with chrome makes it less uniform, accuracy is decreased - but for many platforms and purposes, it falls within an acceptable margin.

Ferritic nitrocarburizing also exists which adds corrosion resistance - and can be applied more evenly than chrome lining. It seems to be growing in popularity with bench shooters of larger caliber rifles, where gains in barrel life without much loss in accuracy is more significant than other weapons platforms.

If the rifle system you are looking into happens to be an AR15 that will serve a general purpose role, chances are a chrome lined barrel will serve you better than a non-chrome lined barrel.

Last edited:

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would not known a fighting carbine without a chrome lined barrel and chamber.

On a hunting or target rifle, it makes no difference.

The arguments about accuracy are a waste of time, as the vast majority of the people reading this thread are not using ammunition that is anywhere near the capability of their barrel, and for good reason--they're not willing to pay $.75-1 per shot for that ammunition and they do not need that kind of accuracy for their desired use.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I was looking into chrome lined or not for more ease of cleaning due to the fact that I prefer cheap ammo. I found a Green Mountain chrome lined 16" 1-7 twist fluted barrel for $170. I havent heard of this Green Mountain. Has anyone else? Want to know if they are a decent buy.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    I was looking into chrome lined or not for more ease of cleaning due to the fact that I prefer cheap ammo. I found a Green Mountain chrome lined 16" 1-7 twist fluted barrel for $170. I havent heard of this Green Mountain. Has anyone else? Want to know if they are a decent buy.

Yeah im thinking im going to buy their 10/22 bull barrel and stock combo for $135. Looks like they have great prices but im not sure if thats any indication of their quality. I hadnt looked at their AR barrels but im definately interested in hearing anyones input on these. Ive also heard that the 1:9 twist is the best all around barrel for moving between different weighted bullets (55 grain-62 grain for me). Is this true?

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    . Ive also heard that the 1:9 twist is the best all around barrel for moving between different weighted bullets (55 grain-62 grain for me). Is this true?[/QUOTE]

I have also heard this but I didnt see a 1-9 on the site that had them for $170.:( Guess I have to sacrifice somewhere to get the price I want.

DCM8513

Marksman
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    . Ive also heard that the 1:9 twist is the best all around barrel for moving between different weighted bullets (55 grain-62 grain for me). Is this true?

I have also heard this but I didnt see a 1-9 on the site that had them for $170.:( Guess I have to sacrifice somewhere to get the price I want.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean but I've done that one too many times only to be dissapointed enough to fork out the money again for what I should of bought the first time. I'm not sure though, maybe the 1:7 would be just as good or better?

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    :dunno: I plan on using just surplus ammo and I believe most of it is 55 gr. Im not going for sub moa, just want something more accurate than my AK past 100 yds.:D

Top Bottom