• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I ordered one of the Troy ARs from Dicks Sporting Goods at the black friday price of $799($300 off). I picked it up last Saturday. The only negative thing I noticed initialy was the amount of oil on it. It was rather excessive. I had to take the handgaurd rail off to wipe oil off the barrel. I took it to Applied Ballistics indoor range the other night for some inital zeroing, it was close to zero out of the box.

Took it to Linden today to zero it at 50yds, and take some pics to share.

The rail is light, but strong. If you buy the rail from Troy by itself, it comes with 3 small bolt on rails.

DII_8178w.jpg

DII_8200w.jpg

Gives the rifle a 'Dissipator' look;

DII_8193w.jpg

The trigger is 2 stage and about 6.5lbs on my scale.

The flash hider is.....different.

DII_8180w.jpg

I have to admit I like the angle of the grip.(It seems similar the the gunfighter grip that BCM has been promoting lately.) But it doesn't have the extra width like my Ergo grips that I like. So I'll switch to an Ergo, or a BCM with the extra width.

DII_8181w.jpg

The Troy stock has a smooth, snag free design, with a rubber coated steel butt plate. It offers a decent sized compartment in the bottom, as well as 2 tubes at the top for batterys. However, the latch to open it has a stiff spring and requires using something other than your finger to open it. I'm going to look into swapping out the latch spring.

DII_8184w.jpg

DII_8185w.jpg

DII_8189w.jpg

Didn't get to do all that I wanted today at the range because of the windy conditions. I had some Black Hills match that I brought along to try it at 100yds, but with the windy conditions, I didn't want to waste any of that pricey ammo. I did put a scope on it and shot a few groups at 50yds. The best was this 5 shot 1" group with Fed XM193.

DII_8204w.jpg

Not to bad considering the ammo and wind. Serious accuracy tests will have to wait for another day, but I think the rifle will prove to be accurate.

Only 2 trips and 150 rounds through it so far, but so far so good. :D

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I second the ridiculous amount of oil on the rifle. I picked mine up on Monday. Looking forward to taking it to the range this weekend.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    ;)
    I second the ridiculous amount of oil on the rifle.

At least the oil didn't stink like the oil that came on my 10/22 Takedown. That was nasty!!!

When I called Troy to get the torque settings for the handgaurd, I mentioned the excessive oil.

I picked mine up on Monday. Looking forward to taking it to the range this weekend.

:rockwoot:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I'm reading a lot of reports now that Dick's is trying to back out of the deal with a lot of people due to Troy not being able to fill the projected 10,000 orders they got. Lucky you snagged one!

I actually got in on the deal but forgot to do the CC and rewards part of it, ended up canceling my order and getting a Colt M4 Carbine instead.

Nice looking rifle though great pics!

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I got suckered into buying a magazine at Gander Mountain tonight since the Troy carbine was on the front and I was curious what it had to say.

rifle-1-13-cover.jpg

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I picked mine up the Tuesday before black Friday due to a computer screw up. Got a Vortex Strikefire for it and took it out the next weekend. I out about 350 rounds through mine, all fairly close range. I wanted to try it out long range but ran out of time. It ran fine for me right out of the box. I bought a lower rail for it and added an AFG as well as a Troy sling. I think it's a great carbine and the price makes it even that much better!!

MP43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Rochester
    The neighbor guy got him a Troy last week and took it out yesterday and was amazed at the results in accuracy. He said without having to sight it in it was already shooting tighter groups than his Colt LE that he had sighted in. He was all smiles.

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    What did they have to say?

They were using a Nikon M223 scope so half the article was on the optics. Used 8 different types of ammo, groups ranged from .9 to 2.25" at 100yds. Throw out the two highs and the two lows and it grouped 1.0 to 1.25". Engaged 10x12 targets out to 600yrds.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I used mine to engage the head of a doe from about 75 yards.

The stock has grown on me and I now like it, though it really needs a lock.

Top Bottom