• ...and so much more!
  • Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    Hey all,
    New member here, got a tip from kup to join. Anyway, my gunsmith has built a couple of the 358 IDC rifles off the Winchester Model 70 WSSM actions, and I was wondering if anyone else had done so, and what your custom build was?
    We've used #3 Douglas barrels at 22" and 23". Using 48 to 49 grains of Benchmark with the 200 grain Hornady SP, gets us 2,500 to 2,580 fps. Can't wait to use this on a deer this year!
    If you've built one, what is your take on the rifle?
    Thanks!

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Hey all,
    New member here, got a tip from kup to join. Anyway, my gunsmith has built a couple of the 358 IDC rifles off the Winchester Model 70 WSSM actions, and I was wondering if anyone else had done so, and what your custom build was?
    We've used #3 Douglas barrels at 22" and 23". Using 48 to 49 grains of Benchmark with the 200 grain Hornady SP, gets us 2,500 to 2,580 fps. Can't wait to use this on a deer this year!
    If you've built one, what is your take on the rifle?
    Thanks!
    Just Curious... Did you have to have any other action modifications done or just have the barrel replaced? I had an A-bolt chambered in .223 wssm that I was interested in getting done, but ended up trading it recently.

terrance250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    200 grains @ 2500fps ain't too shabby for an Indiana deer rifle! I went the .458 route & am pushing 325 grains @ 1900 fps. I wonder what the trajectories would look by in a side to side comparison?

I'm zero'd @ 100, 4" low @ 150, & 12" low @200yds, but the projectile stays supersonic out to roughly 400 with a drop of over 100". How does that compare to the 358?

I was also curious as to where does one get brass for the 358? Is it even commercially available?

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    fireball,
    I still prefer calling it the 358 Short Fat Bastid!!!!

andyrping,
    No other modifications necessary - my gunsmith buddy got the reamer from PT&G and then just threaded the barrel for the model 70 wssm action. I can get you in touch with my gunsmith if you want to go forward, just pm me.

terrance, we're necking up 25 wssm brass - anneal first, then neck up with 30 cal and then 35 cal. Got the dies from Redding custom order 35 WSSM or 358-25 WSSM.

Still interested to see if anyone else has any range reports - I think fireball has some hotter loads than I've seen, and he's given me some good advice as well...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Got to be very careful with the 358 SFB here in Indiana. If you don't TRIM THE CASE DOWN to legal length but simply resize the 25 WSSM brass, then the brass can be too long to legally use in the state of Indiana for hunting.

Fireball and Dtech use trimmed cases to make legally viable rounds that conform with the Indiana DNR regulations.

I'm just tossing out that warning because some folks may not realize that the WSSM case is TOO LONG and, without trimming it is ILLEGAL for deer in the state of Indiana.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    yep...gotta watch that case length...I know every time the officer checks my deer tag or license he pulls out his calipers and measures the brass of my rounds...LOL

I have been checked numerous times and I have yet to have a DNR officer even ask what caliber my pistol or rifle is...seems all they are interested in is one thing...did you pay your money to us to be here doing this????

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    "I'm zero'd @ 100, 4" low @ 150, & 12" low @200yds, but the projectile stays supersonic out to roughly 400 with a drop of over 100". How does that compare to the 358?"

I'm pretty sure that is almost a dead on match of the Hornady SST 12 gauges. 300 grains at 200 fps, +2 at 100, -2 at 150 and almost the same from there on out.

I think it would definately get the "cool factor" too hunt with a black rifle, but, at least the .458, doesn't offer improved ballistics and is a less stable, less-accurate platform than some shotguns.

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have found that necking up the cases actually shortens them and you don't have to do much trimming, if any at all, to be within the legal length.

melduagun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    everybody wants the biggest bore gun they can find or afford "why? anyone ever heard of over kill. I hunt with a 1873 winchester replica by uberti in 45 cal. using cowboy loads. I do this to help protect the next door neighbors a mile away.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    I hunt with a 55# recurve bow during archery deer season. A T/C Encore pistol in .243 win. during firearms deer season. ( looking to upgrade to the .358 BFG 26" bull barrel for 2010) And a .50 cal. Remington Model 700 M/L during muzzle loader season. I think it is called choice. Some like apples, some like oranges. I like them all...... :laugh:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    everybody wants the biggest bore gun they can find or afford "why? . . .
    Actually I think you may have misunderstood why people want these things.

Some want to use a rifle platform they are familiar or comfortable with. The logic for the 458 Socom is simply that it is a legal round, it fires through the most commonly owned style of rifle in the US today, it can be used by simply swapping the upper of an existing gun so that you don't need a whole extra gun to use the round.

The 358 WSSM (or SFB or any other name) is another logical choice because it also utilizes the same AR platform, or through a bolt action.

But another round, perhaps overlooked in this thread, is the 35 Gremlin. Its a 6.5 Grendel necked up to a legal 35 caliber bullet. Not the biggest, not the baddest, but ballistically plenty good enough. Certainly a lot less powerful than the 358 WSSM.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    But another round, perhaps overlooked in this thread, is the 35 Gremlin. Its a 6.5 Grendel necked up to a legal 35 caliber bullet. Not the biggest, not the baddest, but ballistically plenty good enough. Certainly a lot less powerful than the 358 WSSM.

Speaking of that....I traded another fellow for a PRI 6.8 magazine the other day.

It feeds Gremlin.

Of course, the only magazine manufacturer I hadn't tried...and it works.

Ordered a few others to make sure it isn't just a fluke.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    everybody wants the biggest bore gun they can find or afford "why? anyone ever heard of over kill. I hunt with a 1873 winchester replica by uberti in 45 cal. using cowboy loads. I do this to help protect the next door neighbors a mile away.

haha... your 45 cal has a BIGGER BORE than the .358 that you are slamming
    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I hunt with a 55# recurve bow during archery deer season. A T/C Encore pistol in .243 win. during firearms deer season. ( looking to upgrade to the .358 BFG 26" bull barrel for 2010) And a .50 cal. Remington Model 700 M/L during muzzle loader season. I think it is called choice. Some like apples, some like oranges. I like them all...... :laugh:

.243 is not legal during firearms season in indiana.... please explain

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .243 is not legal during firearms season in indiana.... please explain

.243 Encore pistol.

Handguns

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.​
    • Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    • [/FONT][/FONT]Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    .243 Encore pistol.

Handguns

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.​
    • Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    • [/FONT][/FONT]Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.
    :dunno: :popcorn: :dunno: :popcorn:.....:rolleyes:

Top Bottom