• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Has anyone ever used Superior arms lowers before? I'm thinking about picking a couple up (y'now, that whole impending doom-if I ever want another AR again thing? lol) and just wanted to know what some other people think.

I was also looking at some essential arms lowers, a little more expensive but I like the 5.56 chambering instead of just .223.

Or should I just wait and try to get a ride to the 1500? I need advice guys :)

Does anyone know if FFLs will transfer more than one item for the same price? I figured I'd just give him a call and ask tomorrow.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    NateIU10 said:
    ...but I like the 5.56 chambering instead of just .223.
    On the lower receiver, the caliber marking is irrelevant. A lower marked for 5.56 will not be stronger than a lower marked for 223. It could be marked for anything. If you want to chamber an AR15 for 5.56 then you need a barrel/chamber designed for 5.56 rather than .223.

I prefer to buy AR lowers with the caliber marked MULTI. But then I have several different AR15 uppers in different calibers. ALL of them will interchange with any of my AR15 lowers, no matter what the caliber mark. I can mount a 458 Socom or a 6.5 Grendel on a 223 lower just as easily as I can do it to a 5.56 lower. The lower is really just there to hold the gun together and act as the fire control (trigger) system, it does not take any chamber pressure. There are actually kits to mount single shot 50bmg uppers to any standard lower. So don't worry about the caliber being marked 223 on the lower, it does not indicate strength, it is just there for the ATF so they can keep track of whatever they keep track of.

As for transferring more than 1 for the same price, I just did a triple transfer that involved 1 handgun and 2 ARs last week for $50 at my local shop, normally the fee is $25 each at my shop for a transfer, $50 for a transfer from a manufacturer/distributor. So he should have charged me $125 for this transfer base on his stated prices. I do transfers with him frequently so he gave me a break, but I've seen him give other people breaks on multiple transfers.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info.

so is there basically no difference between this:
    superiorsemi.jpg

and this:
    J-15-F%20Reciever-1.jpg

I was thinking about buying a couple, sitting on most of them and maybe build a .22 ar just to have one. All that's required to do that is put a .22 upper on the lower, right?

Thanks again for your help :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I won't go so far as to say there is basically no difference since I am not familiar with the actual units. But if both of them are 'forged' (not 'cast') and if both of them are built to the so-called "mil spec" standards, then I'd say that there isn't a hill of beans in the difference between those two, and the units I show in my post above other than the graphics and engraving.

undecided

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    I think the Superior Arms lower has a trigger creep adjust screw built into the lower that others don't but that should be about the only real difference from any of the other lower reciever brands difference. All of the lower recievers do the same job some are just "prettier" with a nicer/darker finish. But sometimes that darker/nicer finish can be bad if you care about upper/lower color match as unless you buy an upper with that same finish you can have a 2 tone gun. So basicly if you want the upper and lower color to match getting the same brand of both would be the best bet but if you just want a gun that goes bang the finish and color match doesn't matter.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have built 5 ARs using Superior Arms lowers(2 for me, 3 for friends). All went together fine. It does have a set screw under the grip to adust slack in the trigger. It is O.K., but not a match trigger. For the price, it is a great lower, I paid $100 at the 1500 for mine.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm having a hard time deciding. I can get Essential arms lowers in OD for $95 or just hard coated for 85, or I can get Superior lowers for 80. I think I may just go to the 1500, because including shipping and transfer fees They will be over $100 each. IDK what to do lol

ick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    NWI
    Both Nick and I have recently built ARs with SA lowers with no problems. I don't think that you're gonna find them as cheap as $80 at the 1500, but you will avoid that pesky FFL transfer fee. May be a wash if you look at it that way.

Last 1500, I saw SA and DPMS lowers for fairly cheap.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I found a local guy that said he'd do the transfers for free, so I decided to just get two Spikes Tactical Pictogram lowers, one for a dedicated 22lr upper and one to POSSIBLY SBR in 9mm :do2:

Either way, I can't beat Spikes lowers for ~$105 each shipped.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I recently sent my FFL to Spikes Tactical at the request of a Forum Member.
    Spikes is having a sale on Lowers at a significant discount.

The information is confidential so I can't post it on a public forum.
    PM me for details.

Top Bottom