• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Considering a purchase via gunbroker.com. Seller does not take credit card. I do not want to pay before I check the goods. Seller does not want to ship goods before receiving payment. Understandable. How do you folks who buy on gunbroker resolve the issue?

Also seller does not want to use escrow account.

Suggestions?

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Lots of conversation on the phone and YOU select a dealer on his end to ship the item out to you. Send payment to the dealer and let the dealer pay the seller when he delivers the goods for shipping.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the responses. Seems to me it is extremely unwise to purchase via Gunbroker. I have emailed two sellers with items on which I was considering bidding. Both declined the escrow arrangements. One invited me to call him to discuss it. I decided not to bid on either item. Both items subsequently sold for over $900.

I did purchase a new item from a seller on Gunbroker in the past, but I contacted the company first and paid via credit card. No problem there; but the used items make me nervous. No way to safely inspect the item, since the seller will not ship until payment clears.

Am I missing something? How id GunBroker staying in business?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've done 27 transactions on GB. Admittedly not all were guns but the vast majority of them were. I have never had an issue. The people on Gunbroker are there to sell and get their money. If they try to screw you, you will report it. Then GB will do an investigation and they will, most likely, not be able to sell there anymore. So, as long as you deal with someone with good feedback over a number of sales you have very little to worry about. To say that it is unwise to buy off of Gunbroker is untrue. It is common practice for the buyer to send the money first. Once the money clears then the gun is shipped. It probably happens hundreds if not thousands of times a day. I am sure there is the occasional issue. That's why they have conflict resolution. But, if you feel uncomfortable then I would certainly stay away from it.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I've done 27 transactions on GB. Admittedly not all were guns but the vast majority of them were. I have never had an issue. The people on Gunbroker are there to sell and get their money. If they try to screw you, you will report it. Then GB will do an investigation and they will, most likely, not be able to sell there anymore. So, as long as you deal with someone with good feedback over a number of sales you have very little to worry about. To say that it is unwise to buy off of Gunbroker is untrue. It is common practice for the buyer to send the money first. Once the money clears then the gun is shipped. It probably happens hundreds if not thousands of times a day. I am sure there is the occasional issue. That's why they have conflict resolution. But, if you feel uncomfortable then I would certainly stay away from it.

I'm with Birds on this one. I've done lots of business on GB... I've always sent payment first (sometimes with a CC)... and I've never been screwed. Of course there is some risk with this, so you need to factor that risk into your purchase price. Just my two cents.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks Birds and Indy. Credit card would ease my mind. Most of the auctions I am considering require money order or certified check. GB only covers to $500. I will need to consider this carefully

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've got almost 100 transactions on GunBroker, most of them purchases, a lot of them for firearms, and quite a few paid for with POSTAL money orders.

A lot of seller will demand a postal money order or certified check. Anymore most will not accept money orders from gas stations, convenience stores... too many fakes.

I've had exactly 1 problem buying on GunBroker.
    I bought a USED Daisy Red RiderBB gun for my nephew.
    The seller wanted to ship it overnight and charge me $55 for shipping! I told him I would take the bad rep and refuse to pay if he didn't offer cheaper shipping.
    He swore up and down that the Daisy Red Rider was a "deadly weapon" and refused to ship it without shipping to an FFL in my area.
    Luckily I had a friend with a current FFL, and a sense of humor.

The seller finally agreed to ship priority mail for $17, as long as it was going to an FFL. I had to send a copy of the license before he would ship.

That was more than 3 years ago.
    I STILL get teased about buying "deadly weapons". That guy tells everyone he sees about it.

Buy from GunBroker with confidence.
    Just a couple pieces of advice.

1- Ask ALL questions BEFORE you bid.
    2-Make sure you check method of and amount for shipping.
    3-If buying a used firearm, make sure your FFL will accept shipment from an individual, if applicable.
    4-ALWAYS check the feedback! In most cases it will tell you all you need to know.
    5-Knowing, and understanding the 15 minute rule can alleviate a lot of angst. If you learn to play it right, you can score some really good deals.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Exactly, Gunbroker is like ebay or amazon, it's online shopping, you buy sight unseen. If this makes you uncomfortable, don't use the service. A lot of sellers have return policies and depending why you want to return the item, item not as described, damaged in shipping,etc.

As others have stated, ask questions first and make sure you know what you're getting into. Just remember, if you don't, it's online retail, you buy sight unseen...well...wondeled

Top Bottom