• ...and so much more!
  • USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Anyone active shooting Camp Perry type competions, either conventional pistol or rifle. I am starting to get back into it and wanted to know if any INGO members wanted to put a team togather and shoot some matches. Maybe send a team to Camp Perry next year and shoot in the Indiana State Championship. I know their is High Power Group form Indiana already any members of INGO belong? CIHPRS Home I don't have gear for high power yet but my pistol gear should be complete soon.

I have a lot military experience coaching/shooting both rifle and pistol teams. I would love to get INGO pistol team started.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm no where NEAR good enough... nor do I have the time/money to become "good enough"...

But I think this is a great idea! I hope you can get some interest!

-J-

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I'm no where NEAR good enough... nor do I have the time/money to become "good enough"...

But I think this is a great idea! I hope you can get some interest!

-J-

I can make you a great shot, I promise. Training and coaching this type of shooting is my speciality. As far as equipment in the past I have found the people in this shooting community very generous and will share a lot of the equipment and guns, particularly they love to introduce new people. I am also in the process of gearing up. It takes a little money (I'm thinking some fund raisers for a team), but it can be spread out over time. The real cost is the guns, equipment can be minimal. At Camp Perry there are couple of EIC matches that they actually provide the guns/ammo and military coaches I think it cost 35.00.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    USMC_0311,

I initiated a traveling bullseye pistol team for the Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club a few years ago.
    Pistol-Teams-05-Regional.jpg
    We carpool to matches together. Last weekend, we won the Indiana State Outdoor Conventional Team Championship for the third year straight. Our club will field two teams at the regional match at Evansville, this coming weekend. We have the Indiana State junior outdoor pistol champion again this year.

The Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association fields a pistol team at Camp Perry and other matches. You should consider joining the ISRPA, see: Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association - Home

The state could really use a junior pistol team. No one has been able to get one going.

If you want to start a INGO team, you will have to affiliate with the NRA and CMP to compete in their matches. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Last edited:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    USMC_0311,

The state could really use a junior pistol team. No one has been able to get one going.

If you want to start a INGO team, you will have to affiliate with the NRA and CMP to compete in their matches. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

My son will be wanting to shoot soon he is only 9 but he shoots with me all the time. I want to get him on a team as soon as he can. Is their and age requirement?

Affiliation with the CMP would be a good thing for INGO members IMHO. We could buy m1's/ammo and such from the CMP at good prices.

I would like to add you to my friends I am pretty sure I will need to tap into your experience on getting something like this started if enough members express interest.

If not well I am going to be looking for a team to get on.

Last edited:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    USMC_0311,

Last weekend, we won Indiana State Outdoor Conventional Team Championship for the third year straight. Our club will field two teams at the regional match at Evansville, this coming weekend.

Congrats and good luck this week end. If I didn't allready make plans for this weekend I would come down a watch. Will they be shooting a leg match with the service pistol?

Just by chance do you or any of the team have any used equipment like pistol boxes and spotting scopes. Also I need to get a good .45 setup for bulls eye if anyone is looking to get rid of something or if you know any good smiths that work on these guns?

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    USMC_0311,

I think that there should be a 4H Shooting Program near you, where your son might begin smallbore rifle and/or air gun. I'd be happy to have you on my "friends" list. The CMP does have some age limitations for pistol, and maybe there is one for Camp Perry. Our club doesn't have an age restriction, but the youngster must take a class, demonstrate safe gun handling, and be closely monitored by a parent/ guardian while on the line.

I don't know of anyone off-hand who has any used bullseye equipment for sale, but I'll check around. I don't know of anyone locally who does really good bullseye pistol work. I know of a guy who is reasonable and will build you a very good shooting gun, if you send him a base gun. Here is his contact info:

David C. Salyer, Sr.
    755 Tysons Forest Dr.
    Rock Hill, SC 29732-2851
    Phone: (803) 327-6902
    Cell: (803) 448-5110

There is always a leg match at the state and regional matches. Here lately, there is usually a revolver match at the regional in Evansville. The NRA has started a "Distinguished Revolver" program.

The Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association is affiliated with the CMP and the NRA.

There used to be a club in Anderson that used to have bullseye pistol matches. In the past I shot the Indiana State Indoor Pistol Championship there. I heard that a few years ago some smallbore rifle shooters took over the club and that pistol shooting ended.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    BE Mike

I will be joining the ISRPA soon. ON the ISRPA web site it has Anderson Rifle and Pistol club listed but no contact info. I did shoot the 2007 State Championships at Marion County Conservation Club (GSGT Brian Sims shot that match also and broke the Indiana Record talk about a shooter he is unbelivable) and meet a guy that was from the Muncie club can't think of his name now but he loaned me a .45 to shoot with. I shot the leg match with my M9, didn't place but had a blast, it had been almost 15 years since I shot competively. Another club close is the Fall Creek Valley Conservation Association and they are very active in everything but Conventional Pistol. I drive by a range that looks well maintained all the time but I never see shooters and I'm pretty sure thats where the Anderson club is or was based. I will probably end up at Fall Creek they got a good junior program for small bore. I just think it would be neat to get an INGO team but well see.

What day is the leg match sat or sun?

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    They used to shoot the conventional pistol state indoor championships at that Anderson range.

I have not shot bullseye matches for several years,
    but hope to again sometime.
    I stopped by a club match at MCF&GA a few months ago and only recognized a few of the shooters.
    It was good to see new faces.

good luck

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    They used to shoot the conventional pistol state indoor championships at that Anderson range.

I have not shot bullseye matches for several years,
    but hope to again sometime.
    I stopped by a club match at MCF&GA a few months ago and only recognized a few of the shooters.
    It was good to see new faces.

good luck
    So I can put you down then? :D

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Never shot in a competition... but can draw a smiley with my old 40cal sigma at max range shooting at Pops. And also skilled at shooting out the whole dark center of a target for fun.... I also like shooting at inch wide pieces of PVC pipe. (great lil targets). I got good natural instinct but lack professional training. Good enough to win bets...lol

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    LOL

Every once in a while I'd break into expert scores with the 22, but
    with the 38 spl and 45 I'd end up back in the marksman class.
    I am living proof that you can buy expensive gear and still not shoot high scores.
    If bullseye shooting separates the men from the boys, I must be terminally young. LOL

The current state of my personal finances demands that I NOT participate in 2700 matches at this time. I do miss it. While I found it humbling, it was great fun.

I wish you luck assembling a team, most shooters aroud here that compete tend to lean towards the action shooting games. However, there should be some "old school" shooters around.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    LOL

The current state of my personal finances demands that I NOT participate in 2700 matches at this time. I do miss it. While I found it humbling, it was great fun.

Totally understand thats my biggest challenge also.

All the other mumble jumble about not being able to shoot...I can fix. :D
    I guarantee it, if you got the time and attitude.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Never shot in a competition... but can draw a smiley with my old 40cal sigma at max range shooting at Pops. And also skilled at shooting out the whole dark center of a target for fun.... I also like shooting at inch wide pieces of PVC pipe. (great lil targets). I got good natural instinct but lack professional training. Good enough to win bets...lol

You would be pefect. :D

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Isn't there a rimfire bullseye match? That might be more accessible and more affordable?

BTW - I know 45 ACP is THE round with bullseye. Do you have to shoot that round or can you use something like 38 Super?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Isn't there a rimfire bullseye match? That might be more accessible and more affordable?

BTW - I know 45 ACP is THE round with bullseye. Do you have to shoot that round or can you use something like 38 Super?

you do not have to fire all of the matches. You can shoot just rimfire (.22) match.

3 stages shot with one hand 50yd slow fire, 25yd rapid fire, and 25yd timed fire.
    Basically 3 matches .22 match, centerfire match, and a .45 match. 38 special is used by some on the centerfire but alot of people use .45 with wadcutters, I use 9mm on the centerfire match. You can shoot all stages or just 1 or 2. You compete individually in classes marksman,expert, and high master are some.

A good source for Bulls Eye Shooting - The Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol

Last edited:

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    When I was a child all i wanted to do was shoot my hand BB gun and throw knives.... Havent thrown knives in years. But Im good at darts and can demolish a bulls-eye

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    They will shoot the leg match after the 2700 each day this weekend in Evansville. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, but our team will be there in force. An injury has kept me from shooting one-handed.

Top Bottom