First Time IDPA Shooter, and Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Looking forward to visiting Atlanta CC next Saturday (11/05/11). It will be the first local match shoot I have done. I have been to a couple matches just to observe and get a feel for what it's like.

Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on what I should expect and bring with me to the match?

Thanks in advance!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    read the rulebook. Read it again. Might even want to peruse it a 3rd, 4th and 5th time. Be familiar with the various reloads and the "tactical priority" and "tactical sequence" concepts and how they're different. Knowing the lingo and what it means will help you minimize penalties. If you're comfortable with the concepts, it'll also help you be more comfortable once the buzzer goes off, since you'll know exactly what you're supposed to do and how to do it the specified IDPA way. IMHO, it'll more fun when you're not constantly getting dinged with penalties.

There's a pretty good group of people doing the ACC matches, so I'm certain you'll get plenty of help along the way.

Gear to bring:
    Gun (duh!)
    at least 3 mags - if you've got more, bring 'em. It'll save you some time reloading them between stages.
    2 mag carriers
    concealment type holster - check rule book for guidelines on what's acceptable
    "concealment" garment - a good portion of idpa shooters wear the "I've got a CCW!" vest as a cover garment.
    Ammo - round count is usually a bit lower than other shooting games, so if you bring 150 you'll have more than enough.
    Eye & ear protection
    something to drink
    a snack - depending on turnout, the match will run through lunch.

GunRightsNews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Russiaville
    I usually run a squad at Atlanta. Look me up (Larry Piekarski) and you can shoot with me if you want.

IDPA has a lot of rules, including some quirky ones regarding reloads, cover, and movement. At the club matches, and especially with new shooters, it is not our goal to see how many procedurals we can give out. So, read the rule book, but don't get bogged down in the details. Your range officer should ask if you understand the course of fire before every stage. This is your chance to ask questions. Your range officer will be happy to answer them.

You should get moved to the end of the squad. Make sure to watch the more experienced shooters. Also, once the range is safe, make sure you go downrange and help paste targets. Walk with the RO and the Scorekeeper. Observe how things are scored and ask questions if you have any.

Know before you go, you are not going to win the match. Don't worry about things like would I shave .2 seconds off my time by shooting right-to-left instead of left-to-right. However, you can, and I have friends that have done this, be the most accurate shooter on your first time out. Concentrate on shot placement, shooting only the targets and not the no-shoots.

The other part is safety. ACC is a cold range. That means your gun is to be holstered at all times, chamber empty, no magazine, except under the direction of an RO. If you arrive with a loaded CCW, find an RO immediately, and they will unload you at a safe area. Don't do this in your car! When you are ready to gun up, take your bagged or cased gun and your holster to the safe area, there is one just west of the club house. There is no ammo allowed a the safe area. Ensure your gun is clear and holster.

When you ready to shoot your first stage, go to the starting position. The RO will declare the range is going hot and ask you to load and make ready. At this point, you will draw your firearm, insert a magazine, rack the slide, and reholster. Practice this over and over at home with an empty magazine and wearing the concealment garment you will use on Saturday, which probably will be a coat. Make sure you do this sequence with the muzzle pointed down range. Here are things that I have seen from newbies, not knowing how to draw, not knowing how to draw from concealment, finding out their cover garment has a flap or hook or something that catches the gun, waving the gun around while loading, not being able to reholster, and getting their cover garment caught in the holster while reholstering. Probably more DQ's are given out during this phase of the match than any other.

The next phase is shooting the stage. This is where everyone seems to concentrate, but no one really has problems here. ACC has a 180 rule, meaning the muzzle must face downrange at all times. You may want to practice walking to the left or right with your gun pointed downrange (forward).

When you are done with the stage, listen to the RO. He will walk you through a set of commands. Remember, the timer stops on your last shot. Don't rush this phase, you are not on the clock. The RO will ask you to unload and show clear. Eject your magazine and drop it in your pocket. Pull the slide back. Be sure you don't pass your hand in front of the muzzle. The RO may try to catch the ejected round. Don't worry about this round. You can pick it up later. You are going to quite an adrenaline rush going on, this is not the time to try to impress with your trick gun handling skills. With the slide back, let the RO inspect the chamber. The RO will then tell you slide forward, so let go of the slide. He will then say hammer down. Aim the gun at the backstop and pull the trigger. Don't aim at the ground just in front of you. If the gun went off, you would get rocks thrown back at you. Finally, the RO will ask you to reholster, and do that as well. Now, the range is safe. If you want to look for the round you dropped, now is the time.

Practice this sequence at home as well, again making sure to keep the muzzle pointed down range.

One thing to remember, is when the stage is over, the important part is getting the gun unloaded and reholstered. Make that a priority. Don't be retrieving your dropped magazines, rounds, asking questions about strategy, complaining about what you did wrong, etc. I had a newbie on his first stage and he flat out blew it. I don't remember the details, but I think you had to shoot a steel target and that activated some moving target. Anyway, he really messed it up and shot things in the wrong order, maybe ran out of ammo. As soon as he was done, he realized what he did, did the face-palm, and started waving his still-loaded gun around as he started listing all his mistakes. He was sooooo close to a DQ.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    • practice tactical reloads and dealing with spare mags
    • get familiar with what you have stored where, so you can smoothly access fresh mags and stow used ones
    • work on procedure for misfeeds until it's second nature
    • practice moving in the clothes you'll wear, can you get up and down without straining (slowing yourself down)?
    • never, ever argue with the RO
    • have fun!
    • :twocents:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Everybody has pretty well covered everything you'd ever need to know before going it.

As other posters have stated just be safe and have fun. Let the people know it is your first time and just worry about completing the courses, keeping your muzzle down range and your finger off the trigger. Aside from that let the penalties come and have the safety officer explain what you did wrong and the best way to correct it. Most new shooters will struggle with the way IDPA wants you to work cover and what parts of your body needs to stay behind it and what parts can hang out. Don't be too concerned with anything else aside from being safe, having fun and making some new friends.

Be sure to post how everything went and a pic or two if you get the chance!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    GunRightsNews Did a good job of laying everything out you will need to know especially the safety aspects. Except he forgot about the wheel gunners. Pretty much what he said except you would need a way to carry three speed loaders on the belt, if you don't have them a vest pocket will be fine. A minimum of four speedloaders or moon clips, three on the belt and one for LAMR.
    Wish I could be there this comming Saturday but have family things scheduled, mabye next month. Jim.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I'm also hoping to make it to ACC this Saturday. It will also be my first time shooting in this type of competition. I've shot Friday Night Steel twice and Bowling Pins once at Marion County Fish & Game. If my experience doing those is any kind of indication, I'm sure I'll have a blast. I'm just hoping that my current schedule holds and I'm able to make it out.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Would it be alright if I came to watch as a spectator for my first time?

NO! It's not all right!! Because after watching the first 5 minutes of the first shooters first course of fire you'll be kicking yourself for not signing up! Bring your gear, or as much of it as you have, and just shoot it!:D

BryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    I second DustyDawg48's thoughts. I took my son out last month to go watch the local IDPA match so we could get a feel for how it works. After watching for a few minutes I felt like I was back in elementary school, stuck in detention, while everyone else was out playing four square and freeze tag! Not cool.

And this is why we are doing our first match this weekend! :rockwoot:

But, I will say, it was a good decision to go spectate at least once (also look up IDPA on youtube to see other matches).

Cheers!

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Should/could this be made into a sticky?

Another thing, there are some competitors in this and other shooting sports. Just remember, the only competitor you have to think/worry about is that one guy wearing your holster and shooting your gun. It's all about what you do and how you do it. Key word is 'you'.

Just work on going through the courses and be amazed at what the words "shooter indicates ready!" does. Be safe, have fun and good luck!

Homebrew

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    NO! It's not all right!! Because after watching the first 5 minutes of the first shooters first course of fire you'll be kicking yourself for not signing up! Bring your gear, or as much of it as you have, and just shoot it!:D

That's what I was hoping for :) I'd probably come in last place, but I'm sure it will be fun!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That's what I was hoping for :) I'd probably come in last place, but I'm sure it will be fun!

Ya gotta start somewhere :D That was about how well I did in my first match; there is a lot going on but every match you shoot, no matter how well you do, is a learning experience. It will help you to evaluate your gear and other things you'd never thing of or even notice just by shooting paper while standing still at the range. Plus, it's fun! Now go shoot that first match!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    i have been thinking about shooting this one as well

Don't think, just go and do! The hardest, most difficult thing you will do in any of the shooting sports is go to your first one. The second hardest will be attending your second match. I don't think I've ever shot with anyone that is hard or harsh on a new shooter, in fact the opposite has always seemed true where everyone in the action-shooting sports LOVE seeing new shooters and will go to great lengths to make them feel welcome and to help explain their sport. The more dedicated and responsible people we welcome in the sport the more the sport can grow in the right direction.

Now get out there and go to your first match! No more just thinking about it! :D

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    If you carry you should do this! It is first rate practice for drawing, engaging targets in a logical order, and reloading all against the clock with a little adrenaline running. A great little tune up and test for you and your carry weapon.

I am an experienced shooter but new to IDPA and I would add that at the events I have attended everyone was friendly and helpful and very welcoming of new shooters.

The least you will come away with is a fun and exciting day well spent practicing safe gun handling and armed self defense.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    HA! That is the point! I never thought I would be shooting pistol competition like this. I've always been a shotgun shooter so I figured I'd buy one pistol for carry and then shoot trap, sporting clays and maybe even some 5-stand or skeet but after seeing an Outdoor Channel program that showcased 3-Gun I was on a mission. I googled it and ran across our local IDPA club and went and shot my first match on January 1st or 2nd of 2009 and I was hooked. I drove home with a smile on my face and joined IDPA for 3 years!

Not only is shooting IDPA an incredible amount of fun it is also a huge learning experience. There were things I had no idea I needed to think about before shooting something like this but it became crystal clear what I needed to work on after just a course of fire or two. Having those fumbles did nothing to diminish the amount of fun I was having, in fact they motivated me to do better the next time out. For instance I never gave a thought to which way I should orient my magazines (bullets forward or bullets rearward) in my mag pouches until I started grabbing them under stress and then found that the way I grab my mags and pull them up to the gun had the magazine backwards in my hand! I have to keep them bullets-forward so when I grab them and bring them up to the gun they are facing the proper direction. Also, how to recharge your weapon when you are at slide-lock...do you use the slide-release? overhand 'power stroke'? You'll find out when that clock is ticking behind you what your base instincts want you to do...I stared at my gun for quite some time not understanding why it wasn't going bang when I pulled the trigger...out of ammo and it was a huge fumbling mess when I tried to reload under stress which I had never done in my entire life! These are the bonuses of shooting competition because you have all these little areas to focus on, to work on to become a better competitor but also a better and safer plus more efficient gun handler.

jodus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    new castle
    thanks for the motivational words dusty. ive been shooting uspsa for years. my "thinking about it" was cause i just know i'm gonna do one of those moving mag changes and other stuff i'm not supposed to do:D.

Top Bottom