• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Quite a few members asked that we follow up our intial thread with feedback and of course "pix or it didn't happen" experience running the local IDPA match in Atlanta.

In case you missed the initial thread here is the scenario. My son (12) and I had spent many rounds shooting paper at the Eagle Creek Pistol Range (a must visit). We felt comfortable enough with handling our pistols (thanks to the NRA pistol training we received from Indy Gun Safety) so decided to take our "show on the road" and participate in the local IDPA match at Atlanta Conservation Club.

Summary of our experience post-match:
    ===============================
    1) Match was well run. From when we first walked in until the end it felt organized and was able to perform the entire match without wondering what was going on.

2) RSOs were excellent. No one was cocky or acted like a butt. They even offered up some advice along the way.

3) Learned a few times what a "Procedural" is :) Though, none were safety driven but more so "common-sense" reasons. Example: I missed the part in the IDPA rules that hi-cap magazines should be limited to 10 (11 for the first). I wondered why shooters kept stopping to reload --- I blasted right through the first course of fire without a reload using my 19-round magazine! Lesson learned.

4) Learned the value of what a "no-shoot target" is and apologized to it... twice. :(

5) Learned that once that buzzer goes off you get an adrenaline rush! You can still feel the buzz after running the course of fire.

Main Takeaways from the experience:
    1) Do make sure you have excellent safety skills handling your weapon.
    2) Do observe an IDPA match, or two, to get a feel for what happens.
    3) Do read up on and understand the IDPA rules.
    4) Complete 1-3 and do go out and shoot. An excellent experience, indeed.

There are many more experiences I could share. However, I know there were several other new-shooters at the match and would love to hear your feedback as well.

Pics or it Didn't Happen:
    Fortunately, the wife showed up to take a few pictures.

Me shooting the Springfield XDm 9mm
    idpa-briyguy-1.png

idpa-briyguy-2.png

idpa-briyguy-3.png

Not sure but it looks like I was using my thumbs to pull the trigger.

idpa-briyguy-4.png

First time "slicing the pie".

A few of Zman (NOTE: He was shooting a GSG 1911 22LR - Not allowed in IDPA - but Atlanta was cool enough to let him shoot it.
    idpa-zman-1.png

idpa-zman-2.png

idpa-zman-3.png

idpa-zman-4.png

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Glad it was a good experience! We did have some good ROs in our squad (I was the guy in the Glock hat shooting a stainless Sig :n00b: ) Because of the nature of this particular game, good ROs make or break an experience. Mike and Larry really did a great job.

I think I had half a dozen procedurals my first IDPA match. I'm shocked I didn't have any this time around.

GunRightsNews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Russiaville
    Thanks for your kind words. I really want to compliment your son on how well he handled himself despite having repeated problems with his gun. In general, I don't think safety issues happen when everything goes right, it is usually when things go wrong. I think his gun failed to go into battery 3 or 4 times when I was running him. But, despite that, he always kept the muzzle down range, stayed calm, and knew how to clear a malfunction. I can't say that I have ever seen a new shooter experience a malfunction mid-stage, tap-rack, and continue on without missing a step. So, Kuddos to ZMan for knowing what to do and Kuddos to your for teaching him that.

Larry.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    I missed that match, but glad to hear you had a good time. ACC is one of the best places to shoot IDPA. And Larry is one the good guys, when it comes to RO'ing.

Top Bottom