• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jodus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    new castle
    im going to shoot tac irons but cant decide what caliber to shoot with the handgun. i have both 40 and 9, and i understand the major/minor thing but it seems like everywhere i look the shooteres are shooting 9mm. i guess what i'm asking is, if 9mm is scored minor why is everyone shooting it?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is nothing wrong with shooting 9mm as long as you can keep them in the center. But, I am not so sure that "everyone" is shooting the 9 in 3 gun

GLOCK91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    I had the same question I read the rules on the multi gun sight and it said two on paper no penalty or one A zone hit. I read where you had to shoot at least a 9mm but I could not find where it said you would be scored different for 9mm or .40 any help would be appreciated.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It depends on if the match uses USPSA rules or some version of IMG rules (e.g. INMG, Ft. Benning, SMM3G)

If it is USPSA and you shoot Tactical - 40 and larger that makes the 165,000 power factor is scored Major. If those don't make 165k PF, then it is scored Minor as is all 9mm guns. The difference is that C-hits are worth 4 pts in Major, 3 in Minor.

If it is any other rules (not including IDPA, I don't know those) - it just has to meet the minimum caliber requirement, which is typically 9x19mm/9mm Parabellum. The number of hits to neutralize is how that game is scored.

jodus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    new castle
    that is exactly what i was asking, thanks. so if you get the hits to neutralize is there a penalty? which makes major/minor a wash right?
    not to sound dumb but your getting into why i'm asking. thanks for the info

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    There is nothing wrong with shooting 9mm as long as you can keep them in the center. But, I am not so sure that "everyone" is shooting the 9 in 3 gun

I don't know about everyone else but after many, many years of shooting only 45 in sports I'm going to a 9MM next season in multigun. I may even shoot it in minor USPSA since I really don't care that much where I place in pistol only games.

I know that in this area IMG rules prevail. I think there may have been an IDPA match in the Indy area but I believe you will find an overwhelming number of shooters prefer IMG rules. With a very few exceptions the big matches are IMG pretty much.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I believe I can stick with .45 and just download to make whatever minimum there is and run a lighter spring. Gotta have more capacity though.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    The majority of 3gun matches you go to will use some sort of IMG rules. Indiana Multigun we have a few slight modifications but other wise it's the same.

I shoot 9mm in 3gun(M&P 9 Pro 5inch) because I shoot Production in USPSA and so I can have 23rds in my gun with the mag extensions for 3gun.

Plus, I don't roll my own 9mm, so it's cheaper to shoot. I do roll my own 223, just need another Dillion 650 to setup for 9.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    The majority of 3gun matches you go to will use some sort of IMG rules. Indiana Multigun we have a few slight modifications but other wise it's the same.

I shoot 9mm in 3gun(M&P 9 Pro 5inch) because I shoot Production in USPSA and so I can have 23rds in my gun with the mag extensions for 3gun.

Plus, I don't roll my own 9mm, so it's cheaper to shoot. I do roll my own 223, just need another Dillion 650 to setup for 9.

Like a lot of guys I have discovered that converting the 650 is not that bad. I only loaded 45 for years but last spring finally broke down and started loading 69 gr stuff instead of buying it. Now I'm also loading 9MM. To me it it seems easier to batch load after a load is settled on. As soon as I get motivated to finish off the 3k of 9MM MGs on the bench then I will convert over for a thousand SMK 69s. That along with bulk cheap 55gr stuff should take me deep into next season.
    Sorry for the drift

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Not with a pistol conversion.....

NOPE!!! Thats why Im going 9MM.

And I'm a gamer?

You can bet I'll have a very downloaded .45 though....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom