• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Here's a question: What makes a good RO/SO (Range Officer or Safety Officer)? It will be interesting to see what your thoughts are. I'll start it out, you just fill in the blank:

I good RO/SO knows all the rules and/or ________.

Fill in the blank with your thought(s).

Steve

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Things I look for:

DOES NOT MAKE SMALL TALK / TALK WITH SHOOTER RIGHT BEFORE SHOOTING! This is one that is a personal pet peeve of mine. This really adds time to the match and can distract a shooter while they're trying to mentally prepare.

Willing to disqualify anybody (even me) if they screw up

Doesn't escalate problems if they have crabby shooters

Willing to admit what they don't know and ask the Match Director when necessary

Good familiarity with the rules

Helps shooters get better; warns them when they're approaching a DQ ("finger" or "watch the 180")

Waits until the shooter is done before giving any "advice"

Doesn't defer to the crowd "Was that a hit?"

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    that's a good question, Steve. I thought about it both as what I remember my experiences as a new shooter were and what I do as an SO.

If a place were to hire professional RO/SOs you'd obviously want people who were intimately familiar with the rules and all safety issues plus ones that were also involved in course design so any safety issues or scoring issues could/would be addressed before the first shooter ever stepped to the line. Some officers are obviously geared more towards working with new shooters but may not have it in their nature to hand out penalties especially at the club level. Others are probably a walking version of the rulebook and a well of knowledge but could be too rigid and you'd run the risk of losing shooters. The primary thing of all RO and SO candidates has to be their understanding of what is safe and acceptable and what isn't safe and be willing to stop any shooter that cannot abide by the safety rules. Everything else is subject to interpretation.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    The ability to be proactive. Really good ROs will warn shooters of areas where a problem could arise. The job of an RO is to help you navigate the stage within the guidelines of the rules, not try to find extra ways to ding you a penalty. Fortunatly most ROs I know do a good job of this, as 99% are shooters themselves.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    One with hair!

I like to keep a good pace and I hate it when it is the same few pasters. I guess just a pet peeve. But I want one that keeps everyone safe and applies the rules evenly across the board. I can understand some new shooters needing a few breaks on everything but safety. No need to bust their balls right off the bat and think they suck.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Things I look for:

DOES NOT MAKE SMALL TALK / TALK WITH SHOOTER RIGHT BEFORE SHOOTING! This is one that is a personal pet peeve of mine. This really adds time to the match and can distract a shooter while they're trying to mentally prepare.

Willing to disqualify anybody (even me) if they screw up

Doesn't escalate problems if they have crabby shooters

Willing to admit what they don't know and ask the Match Director when necessary

Good familiarity with the rules

Helps shooters get better; warns them when they're approaching a DQ ("finger" or "watch the 180")

QUOTE]

"Finger" means the RO can't see it. If the RO sees a finger on the trigger during movement or reloading, it's a DQ.

"Watch the 180", usually there isn't time, either the guy broke it or was close and moved on. If close, tell them about it after he's done shooting. If he broke it, DQ.

Crabby shooters can kiss my butt. This is a game, if one wants to come out and *****, I don't need the attitude.

As for the small talk, some folks like it to help calm them down and make them more relaxed.

And I like big boobs

Top Bottom