Shooting clay......... Maybe? Need some advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Hello gang,
    About six months ago I came accross a moldy old falling apart cardboard box in my basement. Think dirt floor, coal room, well, cave crickets, 105 year old basement. This box said Moskeeto on it and had some metal device inside which at first was unfamiliar looking to myself. Upon further inspection I realized it was a skeet tosser or whatever the actual name is, which I would like to know. I have vague memories of my grandfather,my dad, and my uncles shooting clay off the deck in the house I now own which was my grandfathers. I have lived in this home for about 12 years and knew there were several stacks of old clay pigeons in the basement but never has seen the pull or tosser or ?. Anyway I commenced to clean this Moskeeto off and undertook a small restoration project.

I sandblasted everything as it was corroded or filthy. I replaced the springs which were rusted solid and basically have this thing looking pretty darn good, espescially compared to how it was. I have these clays that are old and wanted to make sure I wasnt going to break someones potential collectible. The clays are mostly marked Blue Rock on the top and Remmington Dupont on bottom. Each of these are individually numbered like a series I guess. I also have some that just read White 9 Flyer and the smaller Moskeeto. From the playing around Ive done the larger clays dont work well on this and I need to use smaller Moskeeto type.

Am I good to shoot these clays or should I make sure to sell them as collectible and buy new, or trade for new if collectible? Is there anything I can do to adjust the hair trigger on this as I see no room for adjustment? Will this handle the larger clays if positioned a certain way? What is this called?

Thanks and heres pics

2011-11-07220240.jpg

2011-11-07220044.jpg

2011-11-07220345.jpg

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    The small clay birds are Moskeet's. I don't think anyone makes them any more but I can't say that 100%. I have a bunch of them myself but had never seen the trap for them, pretty cool. The trap spring for the Moskeet's probable isn't strong enough for a standard clay bird. I can tell you if you want something challeging to shoot get a trap made for the standard clay birds and put the Moskeet's in that and throw them, they come out of there scream'n.
    Edited to add, I believe the Moskeet's were origianly intended to be shot with .22 cal shotshells. I think it was Remington that made a non rifled, smooth bore .22 cal rimfire specifically for shotshells.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Pictures tell the story
    Remington 121 mo-skeet-o with target thrower - Remington Pump Rifles

Save you original clays and maybe try some clays called Minis. What is the outside diameter of the Skeetos? Plus, old clays in general tend to just break when used.
    White Flyer - Targets > Pitch Targets

Get some birdshot for a .357 revolver, use a .410 shotgun or any damn gun up to 12 gauge!

Don't let kids play with it. Chances are you may get your hand slapped a few times too using it before you learn to respect the machine! If it was mine I would set up a solid cement pad/block with bolts in it that I could wrench the thrower down on. Remove and take inside after use. This will help prevent the thrower from damage from recoil and vibration. Set it coffe table height so the person running it can sit down behind it to operate it.

Last edited:

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    You'll probably find that the old clays won't throw, they tend to absorb moisture and once they do they just come apart when you throw them. So if you try to use them and that happens it's the clay birds not the thrower causing the problem.

Top Bottom