Planning my first IDPA shoot -A few questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I know it's late in the year, but I'm entering my first IDPA match next weekend. My 11 yr old son and I went to the Berrien Springs Sportsman's Club today to watch a match. It looked like a blast -in more ways than one. We walked a couple of stages with a squad that was very friendly, patient and more than willing to answer questions.

I found an IDPA match in New Buffalo, MI next weekend and plan on giving it a try.

I've read several of the threads on IDPA here and other sites, and have decided that it's time to quit reading and start doing.

I do have a few questions to make sure I'm better prepared for the day.

1. I carry with a DeSantis Speed Scabbard or a Blackhawk CQC Serpa. Are these both OK (legal) for use? For the first match I'd like to use what I have.
    2. I shoot a Glock 19 and practice mostly with Winchester White Box -mainly due to cost. My gun cycles these fine. Are these OK to use? If not what should I use or required to use?
    3. I plan on showing up early to see if I can help set up and to make sure I get the lay of the land at the club. Any suggestions or things you wished you'd done differently after your first match?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. This looks like a great way to stay proficient and meet some new folks.

Thanks in advance,
    Wildcatfan.62

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Sounds like you are good to go! You've done something to separate yourself from 90% of all gun owners and that is to go and do something like IDPA. That is the hardest part, actually going to your first match. The thing is to just be safe and have fun. There is so much to take in on your first few matches that it can actually take away from your fun if you try to take in too much. Just know that you'll be doing this for a long time so take it easy the first few matches and just enjoy yourself, observe the more experienced shooters and be safe. Be sure to post up how your match goes and a pic or two wouldn't hurt either!

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for the replies. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to try this. I've shot mostly the shotgun sports -trap, sporting clays and some skeet, but never tried the pistol sports. Kinda' strange when I think about it. I don't carry a shotgun regularly but do carry a handgun on a regular basis.

My goals are to take my time (whatever I score will be a new personal record :rolleyes:). Not rack up any safety violations, learn, learn and learn to build for the next one. I really want to be a newbie that gets asked back.

Wildcatfan.62

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    smytheO12,

http://sites.google.com/site/newbuffaloidpa/

above's a link to the club in New Buffalo MI

It's the New Buffalo Rod and Gun Club. I found the event at the IDPA website after watching the event in Berrien Springs over the weekend.

Bring your gear, after watching for 10 minutes, I was wishing I'd brought mine.... The guys I met were more than willing to help. My guess is show up, ask questions, be safe as new shooter and you're more than welcome. It looks really fun as a way to enter the pistol sports.

Best,
    Wildcatfan.62

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    Shot the Match, WOW was it fun!!!

Shot the match this morning. Got there early and introduced myself to RO. Told him this was my first live match. He couldn't have been nicer. Squaded me with his group to keep an eye on me;).

I was able to help set up which gave me a view of the 6 stages. Didn't expect the poppers which released a swinging target, but made the match really fun.

The guys in my squad were great -all were willing to answer questions, and offer friendly advice. I met my goals no safety calls, learned a ton, and most importantly had fun.

I did learn I need to learn to count to 11. I was running a stage when all of a sudden -no bang just a click -yup the slide was locked back........ and I was empty

My advice would be if your thinking about shooting a match -do it. Admit you're new, be safe and have fun and watch the other shooters. I was able to learn better ways to shoot a stage by watching some of the better shooters. I'm already looking for another opportunity to try again.

Thanks for everyone's advice on getting in the game.
    Best,
    Wildcatfan.62

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Glad to hear you had a great time! I always love hearing about new shooters getting a chance at something like this. Most people's regret after finally doing it is not doing it sooner! Glad to know that there is another convert!

Top Bottom