• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I picked up a new gun the other day and am having a hard time figuring out which class/classes I'd fall into in either USPSA/IDPA.

From what I've gathered, the gun is not IDPA legal, although at local matches I'd probably be able to shoot it. At regionals where they get more strict, no dice. I checked USPSA's website and couldn't determine it from what I read.

It is a 5" 9mm 1911. Power factor would put me in minor, I know that much. But the kicker is, it has a 5" bull barrel. IDPA doesn't allow bushingless barrels, although I've shot in several matches with my old 1911 which had a bushingless coned barrel. Probably because they were local matches and the SOs/ROs were being nice and looking the other way. If I'd be in open in USPSA, yikes! Don't like the idea of going up against guys with comps/RDS.

Any input?

DKSComp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Richmond
    With tripp 10 round magazines you can participate in
    uspsa---limited 10 minor power. Single stack does not allow bull barrels either.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    22 Prohibited modifications and features

•External modifications or features such
    as weights or devices to control or
    reduce recoil (such as, but not limited to,
    thumb rests or components which could
    be used as such).
    •Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels
    with flanges, except in 1911 compact
    pistols with a barrel length of 4.20 inches
    or less. (Note: All other barrels must
    have barrel bushings and conform to
    factory profile).
    •Slide lightening, cuts, ports, or any
    milling deemed to provide a competitive

advantage.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The gun you described is acceptable under USPSA rules in Limited, Open, and Limited 10 Divisions ("classes" are ability levels, D-GM).

I picked up a new gun the other day and am having a hard time figuring out which class/classes I'd fall into in either USPSA/IDPA.

From what I've gathered, the gun is not IDPA legal, although at local matches I'd probably be able to shoot it. At regionals where they get more strict, no dice. I checked USPSA's website and couldn't determine it from what I read.

It is a 5" 9mm 1911. Power factor would put me in minor, I know that much. But the kicker is, it has a 5" bull barrel. IDPA doesn't allow bushingless barrels, although I've shot in several matches with my old 1911 which had a bushingless coned barrel. Probably because they were local matches and the SOs/ROs were being nice and looking the other way. If I'd be in open in USPSA, yikes! Don't like the idea of going up against guys with comps/RDS.

Any input?

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    What is a generic limited 10 setup? I realize that's like asking which gun is best, but what do you USPSA shooters typically see? Glocks/XDs/M&Ps downloaded to 10 rds? .45 1911s with 10 rd mags? 4-5 mags? I don't think I'd have a fair chance in Open when most others there would have comps/RDS.

I've only shot IDPA and was shooting a .45 1911 in CDP there. My usually strong Google-fu is lacking as I can't really seem to find any general setups for an average L10 shooter

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    What is a generic limited 10 setup? I realize that's like asking which gun is best, but what do you USPSA shooters typically see? Glocks/XDs/M&Ps downloaded to 10 rds? .45 1911s with 10 rd mags? 4-5 mags? I don't think I'd have a fair chance in Open when most others there would have comps/RDS.

I've only shot IDPA and was shooting a .45 1911 in CDP there. My usually strong Google-fu is lacking as I can't really seem to find any general setups for an average L10 shooter

STI's are popular. Also, 1911's with 10 round mags are not uncommon either. You will see Glocks/XDs/M&P as well for those .40 cals wanting major scoring. You will see magwells and other externals mods so that they can compete with the STIs. I am going to dabble in it the last few matches of the year with my new M&P .40 pro.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    STI's are popular. Also, 1911's with 10 round mags are not uncommon either. You will see Glocks/XDs/M&P as well for those .40 cals wanting major scoring. You will see magwells and other externals mods so that they can compete with the STIs. I am going to dabble in it the last few matches of the year with my new M&P .40 pro.

I thought about trying it....seems like it's an easy way to get a match win or runner-up, with all of 2-3 people that shoot L10. :laugh:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    I thought about trying it....seems like it's an easy way to get a match win or runner-up, with all of 2-3 people that shoot L10. :laugh:

Some of those guys are pretty solid. It won't be an easy win. You could finish last at 75% of match winner. I'm just ready for major scoring. I have my base pads installed. Maybe limited at Atlanta next weekend.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    L-10 isn't a hardware race. Glocks, 2011s, and 1911s have all won. 99% of the time people shoot their Limited gun.

Limited-10 is about stage management and well-planned reloads. Not that other divisions are not those. But, compared to Limited, you're probably going to do 2-3 more reloads per field course. One more thing to manage and execute.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    L-10 isn't a hardware race. Glocks, 2011s, and 1911s have all won. 99% of the time people shoot their Limited gun.

Limited-10 is about stage management and well-planned reloads. Not that other divisions are not those. But, compared to Limited, you're probably going to do 2-3 more reloads per field course. One more thing to manage and execute.

Production with big boy guns :D

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Wanna Shoot my STI Sunday in Limited Div. I'll shoot Lim10? See how you do with that 2011? :rockwoot:

Don't tempt me! Last thing I need is to fall in love with a $2500 gun! :wall bash:
    After the few rounds I put through it, I know I wouldn't give it back at the end of the day, and you couldn't catch me in that Prius :laugh:

Top Bottom