• ...and so much more!
  • scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    IDPA shooting IPSC and IPSC shooting IDPA

OK, shot my 3rd IPSC today, normally I shoot IDPA. This time while needing a reload, I got behind cover...didn't really think about it till a friend complemented me on my perfect IDPA reload....in an IPSC MATCH!!! :laugh:

My first IPSC saw me get behind cover to engage a target - that put a leg outside the boundry..:laugh::laugh:

So for those of you who have shot "the other side"IPSC-IDPA or IDPA-IPSC, what's your stories?

Both are different....and both are FUN!

So what have you done?
    :popcorn:

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I went the other way with my mistakes. After shooting two uspsa matches where target sequence doesn't matter, I shot an IDPA match and engaged targets out of sequence. Oooops!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I shot the TriState championship a couple years back. I managed to do 2 slide down reloads without retaining the empty mags on the same COF.

I can't shoot them both. I'm kinda programmed into when I move from a firing position, I reload and no, I don't retain the mag.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've not shot IDPA, so I can't comment. It does make me laugh though

I have. It's a fun game and the guys running it at ACC are run a fun match, but the video is really funny (to me, anyway) because it's got a few elements of truth.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I enjoy and shoot both (although not as frequently as I would like). I try to have the mind-set of IPDA being a self-defense training exercise and treat every target as a hostile threat. I approach USPSA like a video game. I'm just there to blast the "bad guys" and do it as quickly as possible.

Since IDPA doesn't allow you to "air gun" during the stage walk through, I pay more attention to things that might be safety violations like keeping my muzzle pointed down range while moving left/right on the course so I don't break the 180 rule. Or how will I handle a prop or activate a moving target. I try not to think too much about what order the targets should be shot in or when the best time to reload will be. The rules dictate those decisions.

At a USPSA match, since I normally shoot Production, I use the walk through time to figure out the order of targets and plan when/where I need to drop mags in order to take advantage of the time spent moving through the course to keep my gun as close to fully loaded gun as possible. That order of targets/reloads and being safe are the only things I'm thinking about while standing in the shooters box waiting for the buzzer to sound. Also, I try to avoid being early in the shooting order. I'm fairly new to USPSA, so I often pick up good ideas by watching more experienced shooters.

IDPA = I must follow the rules!

USPSA = shoot the most A's in the least amount of time.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Haven't shot idpa in a couple of years, but I never had any trouble with the transition between the two back when I was shooting both. figure out the set up points, visualize the plan, execute. Now I'm no longer up to speed on the latest idpa rules so i'd probably have some issues. Hitting the reloads in the proper spot , when to move, etc can all be overcome by doing a good job visualizing.

-rvb

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    I have not shot an IDPA match in 5 years I bet. It was how I got into gun games. I always smile when anyone attempts to make ANY kind of suggestion that it is a good way to prepare for a real world situation.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The last time I shot either was in 2006. I really did not have any trouble transitioning. Although I will admit that the IDPA course was not as complicated as some that I have seen.

I will admit that I do have trouble with tactical reloads and moving to cover. If I have to reload or have a malfunction my first thought is to get the magazine out of the gun and away from me. If it is out of cartridges then I don't need it. If the gun malfunction is do to a magazine failure then I don't need it.

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    I have shot several IDPA matches in the last few years. I get a failure to get shot or whatever it is called on every other stage. But I like it cause I am not a RO just a shooter. I cannot tell you how much I miss that part of USPSA.

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    I haven't shot a IDPA sense the made the holster changes and my holster I have been using for a few year was now illegal and the weight limits they put on the guns knocked my Para out.. So I ventured in to USPSA and started using high cap mags and haven't looked back.

I can shoot USPSA 4 times a month and I have to chose what club to go too so I haven't shoot a IDPA for 5 or so years. If there wasn't so many USPSA match's I would shoot IDPA again.

Thats not to knock IDPA, I just have more fun in USPSA. From Revolver to Open.

Have fun in what ever you are shooting!!

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I shoot both, but am more "grounded" in IDPA (10+ years). I like the speed of USPSA and the fact that I can load as many as I want (Limited Division), but seriously, who is carrying an 18 round .38 Super with an optic on a daily basis? I shoot IDPA for practice with my carry guns. Not because it is tactical in any way shape or form, but because some of the techniques (i.e. drawing from concealment, using cover) do have some application to daily life.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If you're shooting an 18 round 38 Super with an optic in Limited, you're doing it wrong. :laugh:

I carry the same I gun I shoot in USPSA. Like anything, it's what you make of it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I use my carry guns and holsters in everything I shoot. IDPA is definately easier and I am faster at it because it is easier to have my game plan rehearsed. USPSA moves to quick and I usually miss targets on the walk through and have to make up time finding them during the course. I like the no concealment and larger magazine capacity though.

SMHurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    RVB (Ryan) made a great comment about "can all be overcome by doing a good job visualizing". Your right! While your on deck waiting to shoot you can visualize yourself shooting the course and by the time its your turn you've already shot the course of fire ten times in your head. I spent eight hours with Dave Sevigny and eight hour with Rob Vogel (paid them of course) and they spend several minutes talking about visualization before you shoot. Picture yourself coming out of the holster clean and your off hand position receiving the gun. Picture yourself moving from point A to point B with your gun still up and foot placement already figured out. Visualization does help. I'm not a great shooter but tips from pro's like that does help your shooting and helps going from USPSA to IDPA. I shot three big USPSA matches this year and two big IDPA matches out of state and didn't have any troubles going back and forth using visualization.

Top Bottom