• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Marion County Fish and Game's Bowling Pin Match will be this Saturday, Nov. 26th at 9 AM. Setup will begin at 8:30 AM and we would appreciate the help of a few volunteers. The Safety Meeting (required for new shooters) will be at 8:45 AM to explain the rules. At 9:00 AM, we will begin shooting. In December we will switch to an afternoon start time.

The cost is $3 per bracket for club members and $4 per bracket for non-members. All money goes toward the club and/or making the competition better. Youth (under the age of 18) shoot free with a paid adult.

If weather looks really unpleasant or there is a threat of lighting, the match may need to be canceled. I will try to send an e-mail and post an announcement in the Shooting Sports section of INGunOwners - Indiana Gun Owners Community by 7:45 AM if it is obvious the weather isn’t going to cooperate.

Bowling Pin Shooting is conducted under a COLD RANGE. That means all guns must be holstered (or bagged) at all times, unloaded, hammer down, with no magazine inserted. You may only handle your gun at the direction of a range officer (RO), or at the designated "safe table". Violation of this or any other safety rules shall result in a match disqualification.

If you have any questions about the match, please read the rules posted at: MCFG - Indy Range Official Website - Shotgun, Pistol, Shooting Range (look under "Programs and Events" > "Bowling Pins") If you are unable to find an answer posted in the rule, please feel free to email me. Be advised the start times listed in the rules are out of date.

If you are willing to help as an RO or help keep score, that would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you on Saturday morning.

~John

BowlingPinShooting@gmail.com

PS If you would like to receive e-mail reminders about the monthly matches and notification of cancelations or changes, send me an e-mail and ask to be added to the announcement list.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Is it safe to say bowling pins is pistols only? no PCRs?

You may use a PCR (pistol caliber rifle) to shoot pins. We just add one pin for using a rifle. If your rifle has an optic sight, we add an extra pin for that, bringing the total to seven pins on the table.

We don't discriminate. Shooting a handgun with an optic sight will also get you an extra pin.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Looks like a good time. I'm not a member yet, so do I just show up at the scheduled newbie time?

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You may use a PCR (pistol caliber rifle) to shoot pins. We just add one pin for using a rifle. If your rifle has an optic sight, we add an extra pin for that, bringing the total to seven pins on the table.

We don't discriminate. Shooting a handgun with an optic sight will also get you an extra pin.

Very nice! I want to get some practice with my sub2k before the next fns.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like a good time. I'm not a member yet, so do I just show up at the scheduled newbie time?

Please be there at 8:45am for the safety meeting. We like to make sure everyone understands the safety rules and match procedures.

We also give new participants an opportunity to shoot a table of pins before the match offically starts. That way you can take your time the first time through and get a feel for where you need to aim to get the pins to go flying off the back of the table. :)

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    So as a new shooter, how long typically does the competition last (what time realistically should we expect to be there till)? And how many rounds should we plan on bringing? Best case, say a new shooter did really well, including the practice shoot.

This seems like something I could get into, the only problem, dragging myself up to Indy that early on a Saturday morning from Bloomington.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So as a new shooter, how long typically does the competition last (what time realistically should we expect to be there till)? And how many rounds should we plan on bringing? Best case, say a new shooter did really well, including the practice shoot.

This seems like something I could get into, the only problem, dragging myself up to Indy that early on a Saturday morning from Bloomington.

I think 100 rounds of ammo is plenty. I typically only go through a box of 50. We shoot head to head to determine who adavances in the bracket (think NCAA basketball tournamnet). In the first round of a bracket the loser is placed in a "second chance" bracket and then from there on out it is single elimination for everybody.

It can vary depending on the size of the crowd, but generally it takes an hour to shoot a bracket. So we get in 3-4 brackets in a match and generally are done between 11:30 and noon. If you run out of time or ammo, you just don't sign up for the next bracket.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have never been to a pin shoot either. Are pistols more accepeted for the event? I didnt know if the .22 rifles were accepted but really not preferred for the event. Im thinking about making time to bring the kid up
    to shoot and he is just now starting to practice with a pistol.
    Is it alot of the same people that shoot the FNS?

Thanks Brian

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I think 100 rounds of ammo is plenty. I typically only go through a box of 50. We shoot head to head to determine who adavances in the bracket (think NCAA basketball tournamnet). In the first round of a bracket the loser is placed in a "second chance" bracket and then from there on out it is single elimination for everybody.

It can vary depending on the size of the crowd, but generally it takes an hour to shoot a bracket. So we get in 3-4 brackets in a match and generally are done between 11:30 and noon. If you run out of time or ammo, you just don't sign up for the next bracket.

Ok so the only thing holding me back would be my desire to sleep in. It will be a good excuse for an afternoon nap.

Never shot at a bowling pin before, hopefully I will see you all up there.

ETA: Can we use multiple guns/calibers? For the different brackets that is, like if I want to shoot a 9mm one go around, then shoot my .40 in the next bracket.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have never been to a pin shoot either. Are pistols more accepeted for the event? I didnt know if the .22 rifles were accepted but really not preferred for the event. Im thinking about making time to bring the kid up

Thanks Brian

Someone will correct me if i am wrong but....

They use pin heads for .22 cal guns. I'm not sure if they allow pin heads to be shot while people are shooting pins or not...

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Tommy now I'm really confused since you got to talking pIn heads vs pins.
    Now I'm going to have to come just to get educated. I only
    Have .22 guns with extra mags. Thinking about picking up a new
    Springfield 5.25

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Tommy now I'm really confused since you got to talking pIn heads vs pins.
    Now I'm going to have to come just to get educated. I only
    Have .22 guns with extra mags. Thinking about picking up a new
    Springfield 5.25

Sorry about that. After the pins gets destroyed they chop off just the head to use for .22s. Im not sure a .22 could take a hole pin down.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis

Thanks Brian

Most people do shoot handguns. If you have two shooters of equal skill and speed, the one with the handgun has the advantage because of the extra pin that the shooter with the rifle has to clear.

.22LR rifles are welcome and work great on pin heads. They don't have enough power to use on full size bowling pins. We usually do a bracket of pin heads toward the end of the match if there is interest from enough shooters.

There are a number of FNS people that come out for bowling pins, but it is not completly the same crowd.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can we use multiple guns/calibers? For the different brackets that is, like if I want to shoot a 9mm one go around, then shoot my .40 in the next bracket.

Yes, you may shoot multiple guns. We like to completely fill out a bracket, so there are times when we need people to sign up a second time to help make sure everyone has an opportunity to shoot every round.

One possibility to consider is that we've started allowing people to shoot BUGs (back up gun) as part of the regular brackets. A BUG is a .38 SPL w/ a 2" or less barrel or a pocket .380 loaded with just five rounds. You shoot just three pins placed at the minor caliber postion on the table. Fun practice for an often carried, seldom shot, firearm.

Top Bottom