• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    My good buddy Titanium Frost is probably busy with stuff like work, raising a kid, fighting lawsuits and promoting our 2A rights, so I'll get this one rolling.;)

Can I get an INGO roll call up in here:rockwoot:

Lord willing, I'll be there. It is the opening day of muzzleloading season, but I think I can squeeze IDPA in the morning and a hunt in the afternoon. I'm considering running 2 guns, but I don't know- I haven't quite developed my "gamer/primer powered" only round for my M&P:D. Plus, I'm pretty sure my M&P is blatantly illegal for IDPA as well as my holsters, mag holsters etc. I built it as a limited USPSA and multigun platform, but I might just bring it- maybe Scott won't look too hard at it:laugh:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    IDPA illegal much?:dunno:

mp9.jpg

:laugh: I know TF won't gripe if I run in his class, and since he's normally the only one in that class I'd probably be OK. I'm just sensitive to this stuff since I got called out HARD on my 686+:laugh6:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That looks good, I like it! Is it the Pro model? How does she shoot? I think you would be shooting in ESP and you may eventually have to change the belt and mag pouches to be 100% but for the first few runs of some new equipment I'd run what ya brung and see how you like it.

I'll be there and I can't wait! Happy to be back shooting my Glock 21...been out of .45 ACP for far too long!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have never shot IDPA before, or any other pistol comps. What equipment do I need and what are the courses like?

Bring any pistol in anything larger than 9mm, at least 3 magazines, a strong side holster (no crossdraw, small of the back or shoulder holster) and about 100-150 rounds of ammo.

The courses could range from one round up to 18 rounds per stage and can involve movement, shooting moving targets...they are supposed to simulate real-world self defense situations.

Just show up, bring your gear and about $15 and have a good time! You *can* come out to watch but most who watch wish they would have shot!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    what makes it illegal? i know dumb question

In IDPA the mag pouches have to bring the magazine body in close to the shooters body plus the pouch itself have to cover about 1/3 of the magazine...or something to that effect.

The best, according to IDPA rules must be worn and passed through the belt loops so no over belt.

It is an attempt to keep the equipment, including belts, holsters and mag pouches as far from competition gear and closer to every day carry style gear. At the local level nobody is really going to complain...it's best to shoot what you have for the first match or two and see how well you like what you have...then as you get more into it you start to change up coming more into line with the rules for all the gear. In the end, after about a half a dozen matches you should be moving to gear that would be 'IDPA Tournament' legal. That is the benefit of shooting the local, monthly match is that you get to try out before you start changing equipment.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That looks good, I like it! Is it the Pro model? How does she shoot? I think you would be shooting in ESP and you may eventually have to change the belt and mag pouches to be 100% but for the first few runs of some new equipment I'd run what ya brung and see how you like it.

I'll be there and I can't wait! Happy to be back shooting my Glock 21...been out of .45 ACP for far too long!

Thanks man- it's not the pro model but it has all the APEX stuff in it except the trigger. She has a short reset 3# trigger (the APEX trigger would drop it to a pound, and that's a bit too lite for my comfort).

I "think" I could make the pistol legal just by removing the magwell (it's about 2 ounces). But, yeah, the holster, mag holsters and belt are all illegal. Also the magazines are extended, which I think is illegal for IDPA as well. Since you can only load 10 it really doesn't matter though.

It shoots OK. Well, it will actually clover leaf at seven yards but I've just started working loads up for it with 115 gr lead and jacketed and it's got her shooting low about 2 or 3". As you know, the M&P adjusts only for windage, but I think a heavier bullet will bring it back up- maybe.

what makes it illegal? i know dumb question

On this one primarily the magwell. It's also got grip tape all over it, I don't know if that's legal or not. The belt and all the holsters are definitely illegal for IDPA. The spirit of IDPA is everyday carry gear only, and this really is a comp pistol and gear.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    My carry gun is a .40 Cal EMP. I would like to get more practical range time with it. Would IDPA be a good venue for that or am I better off bringing a 1911?

Our good friend Ben, TitaniumFrost here on INGO, first started with his Kimber compact which should be the same size as your EMP. The long answer is 'Yes, you will tend to be more competitive with a full-size 1911...' but since we aren't playing for money just shoot whatever you want :D

The general consensus is to shoot whatever you currently have and then decide what you want to do after you get a few matches under your belt. Several shooters on here shoot their G26 sub-compact because that is what they carry every day. They are not interested in comparing their scores with others so that is the how and why they shoot what they shoot. After a few matches maybe you'll opt to work a full-size 1911 or change platforms entirely. I started shooting a 5" 1911 and now I shoot a Glock 21 nearly 95% of time.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It shoots OK. Well, it will actually clover leaf at seven yards but I've just started working loads up for it with 115 gr lead and jacketed and it's got her shooting low about 2 or 3". As you know, the M&P adjusts only for windage, but I think a heavier bullet will bring it back up- maybe. .

I have noticed the 115 grain 9mm rounds tend to keyhole after about 15 yards. Scott Hurt uses 147 grain jacketed rounds and I use a 124 grain jacketed round nose. I'm tempted to switch over to the 147 but so far the 124 grain don't seem to be broken :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I have noticed the 115 grain 9mm rounds tend to keyhole after about 15 yards. Scott Hurt uses 147 grain jacketed rounds and I use a 124 grain jacketed round nose. I'm tempted to switch over to the 147 but so far the 124 grain don't seem to be broken :D

Most 9mm barrels really aren't made for 115gr, but 115gr is all I can get a hold of locally. I think 147gr will be my next step- in lead, but I also plan to try 124/125gr.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have couple of 1911s to choose from. I just thought the more time spent shooting the edc gun in that type of environment would be better.

Will I regret not shooting one of my Kimbers?

only if you only shoot one IDPA match in your life:D

It's so much fun that I doubt you'll only shoot one match so bring you favorite piece for you first match and see what you think. Technically the courses are set up to be neutral to all handguns so for the first few matches it won't matter if you have a full size pistol or not... Bring what you have the most extra mags for or just show up to check a match out...watching is free!!

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm here! I made it! Someone needs to yell at Steve and see if there is a side match this month.

I might just bring out the Kimber in an IWB holster this month, I ahve had too much good luck with my Taurus and I need to come back to reality for a month...

Is it sad that my $300 Taurus is a better shooter than my $1000 Kimber?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'm here! I made it! Someone needs to yell at Steve and see if there is a side match this month.

I might just bring out the Kimber in an IWB holster this month, I ahve had too much good luck with my Taurus and I need to come back to reality for a month...

Is it sad that my $300 Taurus is a better shooter than my $1000 Kimber?

Yes, it is sad. :( Of course a full size 9mm vs a compact 45 will make for an easier shooter.

Kimber= esp or cdp or?:dunno:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try running two this time, one in ssr and one in esp. It might completely flop on me and not be worth the aggrevation, but we'll see. I need some time with my M&P this winter.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Yes, it is sad. :( Of course a full size 9mm vs a compact 45 will make for an easier shooter.

Kimber= esp or cdp or?:dunno:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try running two this time, one in ssr and one in esp. It might completely flop on me and not be worth the aggrevation, but we'll see. I need some time with my M&P this winter.

But the internet said that ALL Kimbers are awesome and ALL Taurus (Tauri?) suck! And yeah I guess it isn't fair to compare a full size combat pistol to a compact .45 meant for carrying...

Any true* 1911 is going to be in CDP.

If you are shooting in ESP then I will join you with my Taurus. Be prepared, I am still seeking vengeance for the multigun fiasco... :draw:

*Single stack, single action, .45acp

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Technically the courses are set up to be neutral to all [STRIKE]handguns [/STRIKE] pistols (revolvers, not so much, unless there is an all revolver squad lead by the MD) so for the first few matches it won't matter if you have a full size pistol or not.

FIFY:laugh:

If you are shooting in ESP then I will join you with my Taurus. Be prepared, I am still seeking vengeance for the multigun fiasco... :draw:

I'm pretty sure you will get it!:D I will just be happy to burn through a course with one reload. Plus, since my load development isn't where I want it, I've grab some steel cased tula-ammo so I can let the lead fly and forget it:rockwoot:

And, please, try not to laugh TOO hard the first time I try to open the cylinder on my M&P or stuff a speedloader in the bottom of my 686:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Remember I said 'Technically' when speaking about the courses...not 'officially' ;). I do notice a bias towards guns that have 10-rounds per mag... I'm not saying....I'm just saying :D

Top Bottom