• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wasn't able to see very well from the video - on his reloads, is he hitting the slide lock/release or is he sling-shotting?

Just curious.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I wasn't able to see very well from the video - on his reloads, is he hitting the slide lock/release or is he sling-shotting?

Just curious.

w/o out re-watching it, I'm giong to assume the answer is "neither." Old mag out and new mag in w/ a round still in the chamber.... a "speed reload."

Typically in this game shooting a gun dry means you screwed up because it adds time.

-rvb

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    w/o out re-watching it, I'm giong to assume the answer is "neither." Old mag out and new mag in w/ a round still in the chamber.... a "speed reload."

Typically in this game shooting a gun dry means you screwed up because it adds time.

-rvb

Roger on that...

That thought didn't cross my mind for some reason. :n00b:

I kept trying to count the shots... up to 20 in some cases? I'd think that'd mean shooting to empty + slide lock on that 2011 pistol he was running?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Roger on that...

I kept trying to count the shots... up to 20 in some cases? I'd think that'd mean shooting to empty + slide lock on that 2011 pistol he was running?

No with the right combination of mag tube, follower base pad and spring getting 21 rounds in a mag is no problem.

I have 2 of them and can start a stage loaded at 21+1 for 22 rounds

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Roger on that...

He's shooting Limited division with a 40 S&W. In a 2011 and with tuned mags, he is very likely getting 20 in the mag, maybe 21.

Many of us who shoot Limited and I think most everyone who shoots Open division deactivates their slide stop. I know I have both by modifying the stop itself and the magazine followers.

And thats what it looks like when you shoot at Rio every weekend for 6 years, haha. Very impressive indeed!

And every Tuesday 50 weeks a year. Nevermind rubbing shoulders in club matches with shooters like TGO, Nick Satai (sp?), Burkett, Don Golembieski, Angus Hobdell, . . .

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    He's shooting Limited division with a 40 S&W. In a 2011 and with tuned mags, he is very likely getting 20 in the mag, maybe 21.

Many of us who shoot Limited and I think most everyone who shoots Open division deactivates their slide stop. I know I have both by modifying the stop itself and the magazine followers.

And every Tuesday 50 weeks a year. Nevermind rubbing shoulders in club matches with shooters like TGO, Nick Satai (sp?), Burkett, Don Golembieski, Angus Hobdell, . . .

What's the benefit of deactivating the slide stop? I know a bunch of LTD shooters do it, but never understood the reason why. Is it required to modify the follower to get that 21st round in or something?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What's the benefit of deactivating the slide stop? I know a bunch of LTD shooters do it, but never understood the reason why. Is it required to modify the follower to get that 21st round in or something?

In my guns, especially with long loaded 40's (as in longer than SAAMI spec), there were times when the nose of the bullet can inadvertently activate the slide stop. I don't like that.

The other reason I don't like it is because of the risk of over inserting the magazine and causing either (1) a catastrophic jam or (2) breaking the ejector, or (3) both. I've seen it happen a number of times with 1911s using 10 round magazines.

At this point, the only purpose for a slide stop in my 2011s is for service and cleaning.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In my guns, especially with long loaded 40's (as in longer than SAAMI spec), there were times when the nose of the bullet can inadvertently activate the slide stop. I don't like that.

The other reason I don't like it is because of the risk of over inserting the magazine and causing either (1) a catastrophic jam or (2) breaking the ejector, or (3) both. I've seen it happen a number of times with 1911s using 10 round magazines.

At this point, the only purpose for a slide stop in my 2011s is for service and cleaning.

Nailed it on all counts.

I had a Limited gun built last year and it will not lock the slide back, even with unmodded followers. I had to hit them with a dremel a bit anyway for fitting the magtube. As posted earlier, with the highcap guns and divisions, its very very rare to shoot your gun dry and usually if you do, its because you screwed up somewhere.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

yup. on my open gun i also modified the slide stop by adding a dimple where the detent rides so that it takes a considerable amount of force to engange the slide stop, so that -if- the follower should catch the stop, it still wont engage the slide. the dimple is shaped like a teardrop so it still disassembles easy.

-rvb

Top Bottom