Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How do you make a Texas Star??

Anybody know where I can find plans on how they make Texas Stars? Is there any size spec's?? I know several places shoot them but I've not been to one yet to see how they are made. I'd like to make one myself for taking to the range and "playing". (fwiw, yes, I have the material, equiptment and skills to do it)
    They are having a shoot (possibly) at Marion Co. this Sat. but I am scheduled for a course on Sunday and can't afford to blow the whole weekend (altho, how much FUN would THAT be!!!!! )
    Thanx a bunch!

In theory they are just a sturdy base with a riser somewhat taller than the radius of the Star, which is supported on a good (preferably, set) of bearings with an axle through the center of the Star. the targets can be any size, but within a reasonably tight tolerance of weight (although if you don't much care that your Star is unbalanced, it probably wouldn't matter a great deal structurally) and are held to the arms by a back spring clip pushing the target against a front stop, so that the force of the bullet overcomes the force of the clip and the target falls from its nest (which is usually cut in a pattern to match a pattern on one edge of the target, kind of like a loose fitting jigsaw puzzle). If you have the skills and materials to make one, you would probably be able to figure out a design after just seeing one work. MCFG has a few, and the Bowling Pin match this Saturday will be on the Texas Stars vs pins, so I bet if you showed up with a notebook you could sketch out a workable design in a few minutes. If you don't want to go freestyle, here is a set of plans for a pretty cheap and chintzy one that I wouldn't personally make, but I gotta hand it to this guy; I see absolutely NO reason why this wouldn't work, and it's about as cheap as dirt.

EDIT: Bah, clearly I forgot to link. I'll link it when I get back to my computer, too hard on the iPhone.
    Last edited by rockhopper46038; 01-26-2012 at 16:40.
    Don't be an asshat.

Pretty much always looking to buy a Colt Combat or Lt.Weight Commander in 38 Super or 9mm

G7.
    On the Texas Star we have at ACC, the hub is about 36" high. Each of the 5 arms is about 24" long, thus the highest a target can be is 5 feet high, and the bottom of the arc is 1 foot above the ground.

The plates are 3/8" thick and 8" diameter. Each plate has a 'fob' (integral to the plate) that has two holes in it. Those holes are what mate to two pins on the end of each arm, with spring clips as described by rockhopper.

Make SURE you use AR-400 steel MINIMUM. AR-500 preferred, for anything that may get hit by a bullet (pretty much the whole contraption...)

I thought about answering the "How do you make a Texas Star?" question with ::
    Take 50 pounds of EVIL, add 2 pounds of diabolical design, mix with some heat from hell - - voila - - instant Texas Star...
    Got Steel ???

They are a little heavy for hauling to and from the range. I have one that a friend made but it gets stored at the range.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

rvb
    Quote Originally Posted by G7. View Post
    Take 50 pounds of EVIL, add 2 pounds of diabolical design, mix with some heat from hell - - voila - - instant Texas Star...
    And make it BIGGER, or it's just a regular star.

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. Come shoot USPSA with the Fort Wayne Area Practical Shooters : www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Quote Originally Posted by rvb View Post
    And make it BIGGER, or it's just a regular star.

-rvb
    Okay, I chuckled. Now you can feel proud of yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Anybody know where I can find plans on how they make Texas Stars? Is there any size spec's?? I know several places shoot them but I've not been to one yet to see how they are made. I'd like to make one myself for taking to the range and "playing". (fwiw, yes, I have the material, equiptment and skills to do it)
    They are having a shoot (possibly) at Marion Co. this Sat. but I am scheduled for a course on Sunday and can't afford to blow the whole weekend (altho, how much FUN would THAT be!!!!! )
    Thanx a bunch!

I was in Gander Mountain last weekend and I happen to see a "star" target setup for sale, I believe for $30. It had a couple options to configure the star, and it looked a little iffy. I was thinking about buying it, testing it out, and than maybe modifying the design to build my own Texas Star. Ill let ya know how it goes, or if you figure it out let me know
    Celer-Silens-Mortalis

Can do. I'll either have to experiment on my own or wait till better weather and check out one at a range. But still hopin someone can post a design. The "tabs" are maily the issue. All the rest is rudimentary.
    Thanx a bunch for the help, folks.!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Can do. I'll either have to experiment on my own or wait till better weather and check out one at a range. But still hopin someone can post a design. The "tabs" are maily the issue. All the rest is rudimentary.
    Thanx a bunch for the help, folks.!
    You could make the trek and shoot the WVPPS the third Sunday of March and I will let you take pictures of my Texas Star.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

Thanx Coach! That could happen. But I'm just hoping I can do something sooner. I know the MCFG has a Star that I could also get a peek at at a Friday Night Steel as well. That is closer and my time is really scarse right now. That's why I was hoping to use the travel time to actually make it. Or, do a shoot somewhere and check one out there.

I just thought of something....... do you guys know if there are different ways of holding the actual targets? Just curious.
    Thanx again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast