School me on shooting at MCF&G

Sadly, I've been a member for a couple of years but have never gone there to shoot. Well, other than for Friday Night Steel. So I am pretty clueless on how the range works. Could someone give me a brief rundown on going there to shoot? I am a little confused as to how things work there. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birds Away View Post
    You'e thinking in circles and you have yourself surrounded.

Me too.
    It's much better to do things you can't explain than explain things you can't do.

I recommend always checking the schedule before heading over. There are times when the range is closed or partially closed for events, though that is much less of a problem since they added the bays.

Assuming your membership is current, you should have an ID card. When you go in for non-events, the gate will be closed and you will have to wave your ID at the sensor to open it. Then you go to the clubhouse and sign in just outside the door. Then you can just find a location and shoot. Remember that you can only use pistol-caliber firearms or shotguns. No .223/7.62/etc because the range is pointed towards Indy.

Shooting areas:
    • Bays- You can use any site-legal firearm. Draw and fire is okay here only (recent change).
    • Main firing line (right side)- Pistols only. 7-50yd targets
    • Main firing line (center)- Shotguns.
    • Main firing line (left side)- Rifles and pistols. 25-100yd targets

Be aware of the firing line rules when others are around: how to call hot/cold and the safety rules. Here are the full range rules: General Club and Ground Rules. Worth a review if you haven't read them in a long time.

When you leave, sign out at the club house and drive out. You will have to waive yourself out at the gate again.
    Last edited by pudly; 11-09-2013 at 09:03.
    Not sure if that firearm or accessory has been subject to a safety recall? Read INGO's Comprehensive Firearm Safety Recall Listing for an easy way to check.

The mob is not worthy of respect. It is not interested in truth, or even compassion. It is only interested in power.

Show up, use badge to open gate if it is closed.

Go to the club house, sign in.

If using the "common firing line", things to remember.
    1) Be mindful of the classic four rules of gun safety at all times. (You know these.)
    2) No handling of guns during a "cold range" call. (Cold range is called when folks need to place targets and whatnot.)
    3) Pay attention to other shooters for "cold or hot range" calls.

If using the bays, the above is pretty much the same, however, there are some added things to consider.
    1) Keep targets close to the backstop.

Actually that is pretty much the down and dirty.

Also, just a reminder, essentially there is no rifle shooting except for rimfire and pistol caliber carbines.

Thats it.

You can also call the rookie, VUPDblue for any other answers to your questions. (I am sure you have his number.)
    My mother beat me in a knife fight.---Joseph Viray

#BarnWoodStrong
    I'm no expert, and someone will be along to chime in/correct me...
    1 hand up = hot. 2 hands up = cold.
    Cold: no touching firearms (cased or uncased). This means no moving firearms between back bench and firing line. uncased firearms on firing line = bolts open/locked back shown clear.
    Hot: move cased firearms from back bench to firing line and vice versa. uncase. shoot. etc.
    holstered is considered cased. No working from holster (even in pistol bays) Oops looks like that finally changed per Pudly's response.
    pistol cailbers only.
    bathroom combination is the year mcf&g opened. Sign-in sheet hangs by the clubhouse entry door.
    The intricacies found in the world of firearms
    that I discover each new day, is astounding.

Forum Rules | INGO FAQ | Classifieds Rules

Thanks for the info. Going to try to go up there today or tomorrow. Now I need to buy some targets and find my gate card....
    Quote Originally Posted by Birds Away View Post
    You'e thinking in circles and you have yourself surrounded.

Expert
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbyMaQ View Post
    Cold: no touching firearms (cased or uncased). This means no moving firearms between back bench and firing line. uncased firearms on firing line = bolts open/locked back shown clear.
    Slight clarification - when cold, already-cased firearms can be brought to or removed from the range. Rule 28(d)

Plinker
    I heard a rumor that MCF&G is working on getting the range certified for .223/5.56. Does anyone have an update on that?

I haven't been to a recent meeting, but I highly doubt it. Their range points towards Indianapolis which is why they are limited on calibers.
    Not sure if that firearm or accessory has been subject to a safety recall? Read INGO's Comprehensive Firearm Safety Recall Listing for an easy way to check.

The mob is not worthy of respect. It is not interested in truth, or even compassion. It is only interested in power.

Grandmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by morrismm View Post
    I heard a rumor that MCF&G is working on getting the range certified for .223/5.56. Does anyone have an update on that?
    See above