• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    So I posed this question on another forum, thought I'd get y'alls opinion as well.

So I shot my first 3gun match last weekend and had a blast. Since I enjoyed it so much I'll probably try some USPSA matches as well this year. Currently shooting a 4.25" M&P 9mm. My tax check is coming in a few weeks, and I'm already thinking about a new competition gun even though I've got better things to put the money to. I like my M&P ok, but I figure there are better, if not much better, options out there. Modifying my M&P is not out of the question, but I'm no gunsmith and it'd need to be super dummy-proof.

A little backgound first. I'm new to competition and handgunning in general this year. I'm going to do some training this year, already got some lined up. I really don't have too much experience with other guns, just a few mags through a buddy's Glock and gov't 1911. Based on what I've read, for 3gun I might be better off sticking with a striker-fired pistol but I'm not necessarily set on it. I'd also prefer, for now anyway, to stick with a single gun for both disciplines. Looking at Limited Division for USPSA, Tac Optics for 3gun. Not looking at a custom gun or anything, probably needs to stay at/under $1000. By doing that I'd have a little money for add'l and/or extended mags, new holster, etc.

What would y'all recommend? New gun? Modify what I've got? What mods are important for Limited/3gun? All recommendations & advice gratefully received, even if it's STHU and get to practicing with what I've got... Thanks!

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    I have a m&p9 pro series (long slide with high viz sights) that i have shot steel challenge with quite a bit. i really like it. The only thing i did to it is put an apex trigger in it. I would reccomend doing that to the one you have also.

As for 3 gun shooting, i dont know much about that. Someone else will chime in soon though.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I use an XDm 5.25 9mm for steel plates. Love it.

Also look into the CZ line. There are quite a few CZ fan boys here on INGO...... and for good reason. They are a great gun when set up right.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm new to competition and handgunning in general this year...
    I'd also prefer, for now anyway, to stick with a single gun for both disciplines. Looking at Limited Division for USPSA, Tac Optics for 3gun.

if you are buying a gun for specifically for gaming in Lim, you are going to want a .40 to score major. 9mms are popular in 3-gun due to the capacity; you'll have to decide if giving up the couple of rounds w/ a .40 is a big deal (I'd think not really).

Since it sounds like you have never shot uspsa, I'd bring what you have to a few matches, figure out if Lim is what you really want to shoot, what's lacking in your current setup (asside from scoring minor w/ 9mm), etc.

One of the biggest mistakes I see new folks make is buying gear w/o really being familiar w/ the sport... ("Hey, look at this XD45 I just bought, should be PERFECT for uspsa" ... uh.....)

Im not going to recommend a gun because that's a personal decision. $1k should allow you get something like a glock/xd, set it up for the division (magwell, sights, basepads), and maybe a holster. $1k won't get you into a 2011, unless you luck into a smoking deal on a well-used blaster.

-rvb

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    also, I see you are in churubusco, we'll be starting up Thurs night practices at the FW uspsa club sometime mid April. Good way to try out your gear, ask questions, get familiar w/ the game, etc, w/o match pressure. It's only $5. usually ~5:30-7:30. Watch this subforum for info on when it starts up.

-rvb

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a m&p9 pro series (long slide with high viz sights) that i have shot steel challenge with quite a bit. i really like it. The only thing i did to it is put an apex trigger in it. I would reccomend doing that to the one you have also.

As for 3 gun shooting, i dont know much about that. Someone else will chime in soon though.

I had the same gun. Sold it to a friend who is about to sell it back to me. :DThe Apex trigger kit is the only mod I think is really necessart to do on a M&P. I just talked my coworker into doing the Apex trigger kit on his M&P. Now his wife wants him to install a Apex trigger kit of her M&P.

I use an XDm 5.25 9mm for steel plates. Love it.

Also look into the CZ line. There are quite a few CZ fan boys here on INGO...... and for good reason. They are a great gun when set up right.

Im a CZ fan boy. When set up they are one of the best shooting guns you can put in your hand. I just had my CZ 97B set up so I can shoot it in USPSA "Limited 10" division.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    also, I see you are in churubusco, we'll be starting up Thurs night practices at the FW uspsa club sometime mid April. Good way to try out your gear, ask questions, get familiar w/ the game, etc, w/o match pressure. It's only $5. usually ~5:30-7:30. Watch this subforum for info on when it starts up.

-rvb
    I'll definitely look for that. Thanks.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    if you are buying a gun for specifically for gaming in Lim, you are going to want a .40 to score major. 9mms are popular in 3-gun due to the capacity; you'll have to decide if giving up the couple of rounds w/ a .40 is a big deal (I'd think not really).

Since it sounds like you have never shot uspsa, I'd bring what you have to a few matches, figure out if Lim is what you really want to shoot, what's lacking in your current setup (asside from scoring minor w/ 9mm), etc.

One of the biggest mistakes I see new folks make is buying gear w/o really being familiar w/ the sport... ("Hey, look at this XD45 I just bought, should be PERFECT for uspsa" ... uh.....)

Im not going to recommend a gun because that's a personal decision. $1k should allow you get something like a glock/xd, set it up for the division (magwell, sights, basepads), and maybe a holster. $1k won't get you into a 2011, unless you luck into a smoking deal on a well-used blaster.

-rvb

Very good advice here....I was guilty of buying gear before trying the sport out and ultimately it cost me extra $$$$ in the long run because I never use what i initially bought. Even if you don't have mag pouches, just stick those suckers in your pocket for the first match or two until you can see/feel some at a match.

As for the 9mm vs 40 thing.....You can also shoot minor PF in 40 for steel and 3gun by developing a different load, so I would think 40 would be the way to go for sure as a dual purpose limited rig. I have heard that minor PF 40 is a relatively soft shooting gun.

I'm a 1911 guy so the 2011 was a no-brainer for me, but as RVB stated, getting into one is gonna run you in at least the $1500 range even for a used pistola

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    you can also get 9mm barrels for many .40 guns

-rvb
    I do wish I'd done just a bit more thinking/research before I bought the 9mm. Stock 9mm barrels work in stock .40 M&P's but not the other way 'round, IIRC. Then the caliber issue would be moot.

What I should do is follow rvb's advice, I know that. Take any money I think about buying ***t with, use it on ammo and training, and just get better. Whether I'm smart enough to do that... :dunno:

Thanks for the replies y'all, keep 'em coming if ya got 'em.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    You can run your MP in production and then just load the mags full for 3 gun, won't be ideal but will keep you in the game. Spend that money on practice ammo or a nice upgrade or 2. Could also try to sell your 4.5 and go to a 5 inch if that would interest you.

Possible to to find a good used Para P16-40 (rockin deal on the Enos forums right now) if you were excited about limited. Could also get a new Glock 35 set up for that money if you wanted to do limited that way.

also, any gun you want to shoot a match with needs a decent trigger and sights. I've got Dawson or Hienie Slant Pro rear sights and Dawson fiber optic front sights on all my guns, and wouldn't use anything else.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    If you are new to these games, I would suggest sticking with your M&P and try the games you are interested in. If you are not going to join USPSA and are just shooting for fun, your M&P is fine. No need to worry about major/minor at first, I don't think. I have been shooting USPSA for the past 4 years, just for fun a few times a year. I shoot a 625 revolver. I have not seen where great accuracy is needed for either sport and your M&P should be fine. The few 3-gun matches I have shot, I used my M&P 9mm and it is fine for that. I have lots of specialty guns for different shooting sports, but I didn't feel it was necessary for USPSA or 3-gun. It might be if that's all I shot and I was really trying to compete. It doesn't sound like you are there yet.

A lot of guys try to buy higher scores with equipment. I have seen this in several shooting sports thru the years and it does not work. Sure, you need good, quality equipment, but getting lots of bells and whistles at the beginning is not needed and may be detrimental to your learning curve.

I am the last one to dissuade someone from getting a new gun. To me, the right number of guns to have is just one more. But as others here have said, shoot what you have this year at those matches. You may not like that type of shooting. Also, try out other guy's guns and see how they work for you. That's what's great about shooting with a bunch of experienced shooters. You can try different equipment and see what you like best. Your M&P will be fine for USPSA and 3-gun, especially as you are learning those sports. You may want to add a fiber optic front sight and/or an Apex trigger. The Apex trigger is very nice, but I don't think it is necessary. But then I am used to double action trigger.

Just to give you some background, I do have specialty guns for the following sports:
    - Bullseye
    - Handgun silhouette (out to 200 meters)
    - Cowboy Action
    - PPC
    - Action Pistol (i.e., Bianchi Cup)

Other sports I enjoy with guns I have, that are not dedicate to that sport. I sometimes shoot different guns just for fun:
    - USPSA
    - 3-Gun
    - Steel plates
    - Steel Challenge
    - Local Rimfire matches

Shoot what you have until you have a clear understanding of what you want and what you want to accomplish. You said there are other things you could spend the money on. Wait until you need or want something else before getting a new gun for a sport you haven't yet tried.

Last edited:

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So I posed this question on another forum, thought I'd get y'alls opinion as well.

So I shot my first 3gun match last weekend and had a blast. Since I enjoyed it so much I'll probably try some USPSA matches as well this year. Currently shooting a 4.25" M&P 9mm. My tax check is coming in a few weeks, and I'm already thinking about a new competition gun even though I've got better things to put the money to. I like my M&P ok, but I figure there are better, if not much better, options out there. Modifying my M&P is not out of the question, but I'm no gunsmith and it'd need to be super dummy-proof.

A little backgound first. I'm new to competition and handgunning in general this year. I'm going to do some training this year, already got some lined up. I really don't have too much experience with other guns, just a few mags through a buddy's Glock and gov't 1911. Based on what I've read, for 3gun I might be better off sticking with a striker-fired pistol but I'm not necessarily set on it. I'd also prefer, for now anyway, to stick with a single gun for both disciplines. Looking at Limited Division for USPSA, Tac Optics for 3gun. Not looking at a custom gun or anything, probably needs to stay at/under $1000. By doing that I'd have a little money for add'l and/or extended mags, new holster, etc.

What would y'all recommend? New gun? Modify what I've got? What mods are important for Limited/3gun? All recommendations & advice gratefully received, even if it's STHU and get to practicing with what I've got... Thanks!

Others have posted good advice, so I'll keep it short.

Get a decent trigger job done to your gun you have (APEX kits I think are $100-$150) Buy ammo or reloading supplies with the rest of it and shoot as much as you can with the gear you have. A $1000 budget won't get you a setup that is that is significantly better. Shooting $900 worth of ammo in practice/ training will make you significantly better.

Buying new gear is fun, but it doesn't make you any better. Good luck and hope to see you at a match somewhere!

By the time you burn through $900 of ammo, you'll know exactly what you want.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    A $1000 budget won't get you a setup that is that is significantly better. Shooting $900 worth of ammo in practice/ training will make you significantly better.

By the time you burn through $900 of ammo, you'll know exactly what you want.

That is what I need to hear, and in total with the other advice here and elsewhere will probably get me to slow down on the new gun.

Or realize you should have spent the $ on a good dillon setup. :)

-rvb

If that was an option for me, there'd be no question really. Right now I have nowhere to reload. :( Should change in 6 months or so, so I really should wait anyway.

Once again, thanks for the sound advice y'all! I'll probably see most of ya at one time or another this year on a range somewhere.

Last edited:

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I'm in a very similar situation as the OP. I'm about to purchase a m&p pro 5" and am going back and forth between 9mm and .40. Can you compete in most shooting sports with a conversion barrel?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I'm in a very similar situation as the OP. I'm about to purchase a m&p pro 5" and am going back and forth between 9mm and .40. Can you compete in most shooting sports with a conversion barrel?

Depends on the sport.

For example, in USPSA Production division, you can use a match/aftermarket barrel, but it must be in the same caliber as the original barrel. Thus, if you buy the .40 M&P and decide you want to run a 9mm conversion barrel to save costs, you are not legal for Production Division.

For most folks that are starting out, Production Division is usually the best fit, due to the initial costs.

Get your M&P Pro in 9mm to start, learn the game, have some fun and figure out which Division you prefer after a full year in Production.

Top Bottom