• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I do take dry fire drills to live fire. There is always a time difference and I like to know what it is and what to expect. Many are drills from Anderson's or Stoeger's books. Although classifiers work good too...

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Some drills I do some not so much.

My intent is to dry fire a specific skill and then practice that skill in live fire, sort of a checks and balance to make sure I'm Not cheating in dry fire, and frankly we don't dry fire matches so you need that live fire to suppliment what your doing in dry fire. So an example would be my transitions suck, so I'll work on Blake Drill or Singles. I can take those directly to live fire. I thinkn you have the Stoeger book, if so it has a pretty good list of live fire drills and the goal times.
    I personally try to not work on too many things at once (in dry fire or live fire) or I will just go through the motions trying to do too much at once and not comprehend what I should be doing.

There are some dry fire drills I do that I don't live fire for various reasons. Maybe I'm limited on space indoors and can come up with a better way to practice that skill when I get to the range. Or maybe I won't exclusively practice draws reloads in live fire because other drills, say 4 aces would encompass that.

I guess my philosophy right now is that I have a list of skills I need to master, but also have to be able to put those skills together. With that said, I'll practice specific drills earlier in the week and then before a match I might set up a small dry fire course in the house. Kind of gets me out of drill mode and ready to "run" stages and put things together. I'll still time it and walk through like I would a match.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    How many of you turn your dryfire drills into live fire drills?
    If so do you use all of them for both or do you just pick and choose?

Last summer I made up my own live fire drills, and really didn't dry fire much. This summer I plan on following a more defined live fire and dry fire regime.

Really it depends on what your goals are. Certain classification skills can be gained in dry fire easily (draw/reload/transition speed). Stage skills and aiming skills movement and shooting partials) are harder to dry fire and should be backed up with live fire.

Top Bottom